Iceland Fokker 27 Bomber

Started by Nick, March 04, 2015, 06:23:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

In the 17 February 1979 Flight International is a report on military sales stopped by President Carter;

Iceland were refused permission to buy LGBs or cluster munitions. They were apparently planning to put bombs on their Fokker 27 Friendships  :o
This was at the time of the Cod War with Iceland and Britain clashing in the Atlantic over fishing rights.

Lots of other whifs in the list including the potentially lethal supply of C-Rations to Nicaragua!
XV-15 for Italy and F-8s for Indonesia. C-5 Galaxy for West Germany, Bell 206 TOW for over 20 countries etc.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Nick on March 04, 2015, 06:23:56 AM
Iceland were refused permission to buy LGBs or cluster munitions. They were apparently planning to put bombs on their Fokker 27 Friendships  :o
This was at the time of the Cod War with Iceland and Britain clashing in the Atlantic over fishing rights.

Brings to mind thoughts of standing patrols of flight-refuelled Lightnings shooting down Icelandic F-27s!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Nick

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 04, 2015, 06:42:07 AM
Brings to mind thoughts of standing patrols of flight-refuelled Lightnings shooting down Icelandic F-27s!  :o

I can just see RN Phantoms flying CAP over the fishing fleet while an Icelandic Coast Guard boat rams the Ark Royal!  :blink:
If fishing boats start disappearing while in Iceland waters and the only clue is that an airliner flew overhead at the time, how would we know what happened?

But can you imagine the case if the Icelanders decide that NATO isn't worth it and invite the Soviet Union in for help?

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 04, 2015, 06:42:07 AM
Quote from: Nick on March 04, 2015, 06:23:56 AM

Or the Nimrods getting those Sidewinder pylons a few years earlier.... :wacko:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Nick on March 04, 2015, 08:21:47 AM
I can just see RN Phantoms flying CAP over the fishing fleet while an Icelandic Coast Guard boat rams the Ark Royal!  :blink:

A good way to minimise maintenance on Icelandic Coast Guard boats I imagine. It'd go down with all hands and I imagine the Ark would hardly notice as she was built to WWII standards of hull armour.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Ah, the Cod War.
My childhood imagination made it much more interesting than it really was.  I also completely misunderstood about Guerrilla Warfare...
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Captain Canada

Interesting. Would be a neat build that's for sure. It's also something I'd never heard of, but am interested in learning more. We have had a similar run in with them over Hans Island. Everybody knows it's ours  :thumbsup:

I had built a Canadair Challenger Surveillance bird armed with Sidewinders for the occasion. Another I'm sure I have never really finished.

In another related note, Canada came pretty close to a Turbot War with Spain. I thought a few fishing vessels shouls have found th bottom of the sea over that one. Especially repeat offenders.

:blink:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on March 05, 2015, 01:55:31 AM
Ah, the Cod War.
My childhood imagination made it much more interesting than it really was.  I also completely misunderstood about Guerrilla Warfare...

My memories are of the number of chippies that shut
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Geoff

But can you imagine the case if the Icelanders decide that NATO isn't worth it and invite the Soviet Union in for help?

OH YES!  '79, so Mig-21s, Mig-23, 25. Bears. No No No ......need meds!!!!!!!!!!

scooter

And so it begins...  :wacko:

One of four Tupolev Tu-124 Mainline assigned to Keflavik Air Defense Base
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Mossie

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 05, 2015, 07:31:24 AM
Ah, the Cod War.

My memories are of the number of chippies that shut

I'm too young to remember the wars themselves, but it devastated the fishing industry on the Humber.  What I do remember is the effects for years to come (only now really starting to see real recovery) on the local economy.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

martinbayer

Ah, the Cod War.

Perhaps you thought it involved the largest extant genus of primates by physical size?

Martin
Would be marching to the beat of his own drum, if he didn't detest marching to any drumbeat at all so much.

zenrat

Exactamundo.

News reports would say Guerrillas had attacked a hotel and i'd be imagining them dressed up like extras from Planet of the Apes charging in and pinching all the bananas from the kitchens.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on March 08, 2015, 01:01:06 AM
Exactamundo.

News reports would say Guerrillas had attacked a hotel and i'd be imagining them dressed up like extras from Planet of the Apes charging in and pinching all the bananas from the kitchens.

You're weird, you know that don't you ? Sort of thought I would have had. Obviously has to do with living in the Croydon area  ;D ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Stop with the flattery Chris you're making me blush.

I wasn't living there then.  I must have been attracted there in later life by my intrinsic weirdness.
Fred