Seadude's Shenanigans: I dare to be different!

Started by seadude, March 04, 2015, 06:43:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Quote from: seadude on May 02, 2015, 10:57:11 AM

The contest is held at a VA center, so the Veterans get to nominate/vote a model for Veterans Best of Show, while the regular Best of Show is voted upon by the regular model contest judges.

Good idea  :thumbsup:

Love the idea of an edible prize  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

seadude

Still spray painting and brush painting everything. Trying to get as much work done as I can every night after coming home from work. In case I forgot to mention it, here's the colors I'm using. Mind you, I'm not painting the P1000 Ratte tanks any sort of camouflage pattern. Kind of pointless anyway when an actual real Ratte could probably have been spotted miles away. No camo paint or netting would have been able to hide it. Damn tank is as big as a 2 story house!  :blink:

Ratte # 1
Tamiya Spray TS-46 Light Sand & Testor Model Master Acryl #4813 British Gulf Armor Light

Ratte # 2
Tamiya Spray TS-4 German Grey & Tamiya XF-63 German Grey

Both Rattes, plus other smaller tanks (Tiger 1, Kingtiger, Maus, and a Sherman) for scale comparison to be on a wood plaque.
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kerick

Quote from: TallEng on May 01, 2015, 11:40:33 PM
Quote from: seadude on May 01, 2015, 07:48:21 PM
Quote from: zenrat on May 01, 2015, 07:13:22 PM
I'm picturing an amphibious version crossing the channel en-masse and driving up the beaches...

You mean something like this? With a long snorkel on the back.

Well to cross the channel between Dover and Calais you'd need a snorkel of about 50meters
Minus of course how ever tall a Ratte is? Average channel depth between Dover and Calais is 45m.
There is actually a shallower bit, average depth 26m. So with a bit of imagination.....
And a big tank with submarine engines, the world (or channel) in this case could have been your
Oyster ;D (other shellfish are available)  :lol:

Regards
Keith :cheers:

Depends how much mud and silt is on the bottom. Driving that thing on dry land would be hard enough!
Depth charges away!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

zenrat

Good point about the camo.  You're never going to hide it so why not do the opposite.  Paint it like a hospital or a church.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Rheged

Quote from: kerick on May 04, 2015, 07:16:42 PM
Depth charges away!

Depth charges???  You can sort it in  much more inventive (and cheaper) ways.  A demolition charge dropped down the  tube, or even a stack of  bricks!  Or what about a large cork hammered into the top (an old mattress stuffed in the hole would possibly work just as well)?  I assume that underwater escape gear was not a standard fitment
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on May 05, 2015, 02:39:06 AM
  Paint it like a hospital or a church.

Or a complete town, it's almost big enough!  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rick Lowe

Quote from: Rheged on May 05, 2015, 03:03:30 AM
Depth charges away!

Depth charges???  You can sort it in  much more inventive (and cheaper) ways.  A demolition charge dropped down the  tube, or even a stack of  bricks!  Or what about a large cork hammered into the top (an old mattress stuffed in the hole would possibly work just as well)?  I assume that underwater escape gear was not a standard fitment

I had an immediate vision of Bugs (or Daffy), with an Impossibly Large Cork, and an even larger Mallet! :rolleyes: ;D ;D

Rick

Rheged

Quote from: Rick Lowe on May 05, 2015, 11:09:52 AM
Quote from: Rheged on May 05, 2015, 03:03:30 AM
Depth charges away!

Depth charges???  You can sort it in  much more inventive (and cheaper) ways.  A demolition charge dropped down the  tube, or even a stack of  bricks!  Or what about a large cork hammered into the top (an old mattress stuffed in the hole would possibly work just as well)?  I assume that underwater escape gear was not a standard fitment

I had an immediate vision of Bugs (or Daffy), with an Impossibly Large Cork, and an even larger Mallet! :rolleyes: ;D ;D

Rick

That, sir, is EXACTLY what I had in mind!!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

seadude

FINALLY!  The Space Battleship Yamato Expansion Set I ordered has finally arrived in the U.S.
http://www.zangeki.com/pic/figure/bandai/space_battleship_yamato/500-190136/190136_2.jpg
It's in New Jersey right now, and I'm hoping I'll have it maybe next week. I ordered the thing back around April 11th. I'll assume that instead of it taking the shorter route which is Japan to Hawaii to the U.S., it instead went the longer route in the opposite direction from Japan to China to India to Turkey to Europe to etc., etc., etc.  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  Well, at least I know it's finally in the U.S. and on the last legs of it's journey. :)
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

Captain Canada

Land ho !

:thumbsup:

Crazy how far this stuff travels eh ? :cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

seadude

Finally arrived!  :cheers:  :drink:  :thumbsup: The Space Battleship Yamato Expansion Set got picked up at the post office today. Looks awesome! Might have pics of the parts sprues later tonight if I have time. Got to say this'll be a lot of work just for this small hangar expansion set, particuarly all the fighter craft! The fighter craft (34 of them) are going to need a lot of delicate and detailed painting plus lots of decals.  :banghead: Nice thing about this expansion set is that all the parts sprues are molded in color. Now all I need is to order a lighting kit for the Yamato model, something preferably that I don't have to solder. And there's one other special accessory I need to buy for the Yamato, but that's classified Top Secret. I can't tell you.  ;D

Both Landkreuzer P1000 Ratte tanks are doing ok. Should hopefully have them done by tomorrow night. Won't have pics ready till tomorrow or Saturday.

seadude

Correction:  The German Grey Ratte I'm building is having issues.  :banghead:

Otherwise...........

This Ratte is done. Well........almost. Just have to add the German cross decals either late tonight or tomorrow. Wow! Look at how big it is!  :blink:  ;D

Weaver

Quote from: zenrat on May 02, 2015, 01:19:48 AM
I can picture the diorama;
A Ratte surfacing amongst a surprised RN costal flotilla.  Giant kelp draped across it's guns and a surprised whale shark stranded atop it's turret...

That reminded me of the pictures of Ogre sci-fi vehicles crossing rivers or coming out of the sea, but I can't find one online to save my life.

For those who don't know what I'm talking about: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogre_%28game%29

Actually, the Ratte bears a fair resemblence to an Ogre:

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Rick Lowe

Quote from: Weaver on May 07, 2015, 05:38:14 PM
Quote from: zenrat on May 02, 2015, 01:19:48 AM
I can picture the diorama;
A Ratte surfacing amongst a surprised RN costal flotilla.  Giant kelp draped across it's guns and a surprised whale shark stranded atop it's turret...

That reminded me of the pictures of Ogre sci-fi vehicles crossing rivers or coming out of the sea, but I can't find one online to save my life.

For those who don't know what I'm talking about: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogre_%28game%29

Actually, the Ratte bears a fair resemblence to an Ogre:

Now THAT bears a fair resemblance to one of the tanks in the Johnny Alpha stories...

Just thinking...

Cheers