Seadude's Shenanigans: I dare to be different!

Started by seadude, March 04, 2015, 06:43:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Canada

Yes, but put end to end that would be over 80 inches of ship.....which turns into quite a bit ! I'd have to say that doing a set of ten ships isn't my idea of starting small  :thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

seadude

Still not much going on lately. Just recently bought two of the following:
http://www.amazon.com/Takom-Landkreuzer-P1000-Ratte-Panzer/dp/B00SKGUPPQ
Gonna be awhile before I get it with what happened with the west coast L.A. dock shutdown and all. Expected delivery is about mid or late April.  :banghead:
But..........it'll be cool to see how this assembles and what paint scheme to use.  :thumbsup: I consider this to be a "precursor" to......if....and when......a 1/35 scale P1000 Ratte Landkreuser ever gets built by me.
Pics of the parts sprues can be found here:
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10308781
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

Captain Canada

Very cool. I have some 'safety points' at work and can get some Amazon gift cards with them. Models might be an excuse to do so !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

seadude

Not much new going on. Modeling work has been very slow or non-existant. :( Been having a bit of "modeler's block". Sorta similar to the way people have writer's block.  :banghead:

Got a contest coming up in 2 weeks on May 9th. Would like to build one (or both) Takom 1/144 Landkreuzer Rattes, but am not sure how far I'll get.

After that, got another contest for 3 days from May 15-17 which I have taken vacation for. This is strictly a model boat/naval contest. No cars, tanks, aircraft, etc. allowed. Since I have nothing completed for this event, I asked my best friend if I could "borrow" the Montana battleship I built for him long ago and have that back to take to a contest. So, it's now sitting in my living room getting dusted off (the case) and inspected for any necessary improvements or repairs. And besides, might as well take it to a few more contests in the future. It really has only been to two. Might borrow it a bit longer till the end of the year for a few more contests.

Bought the 1/500 scale Space Battleship Yamato 2199 model kit 2 weeks ago and finally recieved it. From what I've read and heard, there are 2-3 different 1/500 scale kits. One is from 2010 and is about 20" inches long. Another is from 2014 and is 26" inches long and is better detailed. I bought the 26" inch long version which sells for roughly $110-$120 as shown below:

Another coup is that I bought the 1/500 scale Expansion Set to go with this kit. It is an internal hangar bay that includes 30+ fighters!
http://www.zangeki.com/pic/figure/bandai/space_battleship_yamato/500-190136/190136_2.jpg

That's it for news for now.
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

Captain Canada

Spacedude ! lol

Love it. That's going to be amazing. The additional kit looks pretty awesome as well.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

zenrat

The 1/1000 kit has the hanger included.  Does the 1/500 just have a space there or is the extra kit a more detailed replacement?
This kit is begging to be lit...
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

seadude

Quote from: zenrat on April 26, 2015, 01:18:48 AM
The 1/1000 kit has the hanger included.  Does the 1/500 just have a space there or is the extra kit a more detailed replacement?
This kit is begging to be lit...

The 1/500 kit just has an empty space, which can be covered up with a side hull panel if people choose not to buy and install the Expansion Set. The 1/500 hangar Expansion Set is more detailed than what the 1/1000 is.
I would hopefully like to add lighting. The 1/500 kit does take small round LED lights (Not included in the kit) which are normally used for Gundam kits. The lights look like this:

But getting these lights is damn near impossible as a lot of places are sold out or no longer carry them.  :banghead: And I refuse to go to Evilbay. Green lights can be inserted for the bridge area, and yellow lights for the rear engine area. But there is no option in the Yamato kit to install an LED light in the front for the Wave Motion Gun which really sucks.  :banghead:

zenrat

Have you tried Bandai directly?

Even unlit it's going to be a very impressive finished model.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

seadude

Taking a little time out tonight to work on one of my Landkreuzer P1000 Rattes. If anybody doesn't know what that is, here's the box art:

So I'm assembling the tracks and wheel assemblies for at least one tank tonight. Will work on painting it on Weds.

In other news............went to the hobby store earlier tonight to pick up paint for the 1/500 scale Space Battleship Yamato 2199 model kit. I think I have the main hull color figured out which comes close to Testors Intermediate Blue. It was either that, or using Gunship Grey. But Gunship Grey appears to be too dark. I'm sure somebody will probably say to use Vallejo or some other weird or fancy paint brand. But Testors and Tamiya paints are the only major brands that hobby stores carry in my area. Still haven't figured out the appropriate hull red color to use.  :banghead:

Rick Lowe

Dude of The Sea

What about a nice generic Rusty Red for the Hull? After washing/drybrushing it'll probably be pretty close.

Speaking of Things Rat-like, have you seen the 1/35 (yes, I said 1/35 - not a typo!) scratchbuild going on, over on the other site?

Cheers

Rick

seadude

Quote from: Rick Lowe on April 27, 2015, 05:44:04 PM
Dude of The Sea

What about a nice generic Rusty Red for the Hull? After washing/drybrushing it'll probably be pretty close.

Speaking of Things Rat-like, have you seen the 1/35 (yes, I said 1/35 - not a typo!) scratchbuild going on, over on the other site?

Cheers

Rick

If you look at various pics of the Space Battleship Yamato on the Net, the red color isn't dark red, nor is it a rusty red, nor any sort of bright red. It falls "somewhere" in between one of those colors.  :unsure:

Yes, I have read about the 1/35 scale Landkreuzer P1000 Ratte over on Armorama. Quite an impressive feat.  :thumbsup: I'd love to do a 1/35 scale model as well, but my plate is full with other projects for the next 5-10 years.

Rick Lowe

If you look at various pics of the Space Battleship Yamato on the Net, the red color isn't dark red, nor is it a rusty red, nor any sort of bright red. It falls "somewhere" in between one of those colors.  :unsure:

Yes, I have read about the 1/35 scale Landkreuzer P1000 Ratte over on Armorama. Quite an impressive feat.  :thumbsup: I'd love to do a 1/35 scale model as well, but my plate is full with other projects for the next 5-10 years.
[/quote]

OK, how about a RailRoad colour? Caboose Red springs to mind.

I agree, the large Ratte is very impressive, but more work and resources than I'm willing to commit.

zenrat

I used red oxide primer on my 1/1000 Yamato.  But I wasn't trying to match any specific source, just using what I had.

Fred

seadude

Finished gluing track/wheel assemblies for one P1000 Ratte tank tonight. And also finished assembling two of the anti-aircraft gun turrets. Was hoping to paint the track/wheel assemblies today, but an afternoon nap got in the way. I'll have to do them tomorrow. Will also be going to my local Hobby Lobby store tomorrow for Tamiya primer spray to prime the larger hull pieces.

seadude

Quote from: seadude on April 29, 2015, 07:22:36 PM
Finished gluing track/wheel assemblies for one P1000 Ratte tank tonight. And also finished assembling two of the anti-aircraft gun turrets. Was hoping to paint the track/wheel assemblies today, but an afternoon nap got in the way. I'll have to do them tomorrow. Will also be going to my local Hobby Lobby store tomorrow for Tamiya primer spray to prime the larger hull pieces.

Also for tonight:  Started assembling two Maus gun turrets for the rear of one Ratte tank, and another two regular Maus full tanks to be used for "scale comparison" on the display base next to the Rattes.

Odd thought hit me tonight. If anybody else plans to build Landkreuzer P1000 Ratte models in the future and you need a descriptive sentence or something on the display base, I thought of the following:

"When the cat's away, the Ratte's will play."

"German Tiger's, Maus, and Ratte's. Oh my!"

"My gun (or tank) is bigger than your gun (or tank). Deal with it!"