Seadude's Shenanigans: I dare to be different!

Started by seadude, March 04, 2015, 06:43:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheChronicOne

Quote from: seadude on March 04, 2015, 06:43:01 AM
What the hell. I'll give this a try. Not sure how much I'll write or how often, but I'll give this a try.  :thumbsup:

Where to start?

I first got into modeling back when I was 11 and was visiting my dad while on summer vacation. My stepmom noticed that some days I was bored around the house, so she took me to the nearest mall and I browsed the toy store looking for something to keep me occupied. I settled on two model kits: An F-105 Thunderchief, and a small ship, possibly a battleship but I don't remember. A few brushes and bottle of paints later and I was back at the house working on putting them together and painting them. In the next few days, the results were crude, but I guess I didn't care. As long as it kept me occupied and kept me from getting bored, then my stepmom was happy. That was back in 1981.
Now turn the clock forward to the mid '80's. I think that's where my modeling bug really started to take off. But everything then was pretty much straight from the box. No whifs during that time. And my gluing and painting results weren't that spectacular either. There was no model websites, blogs, or other social sites and groups to rely on back then for help. I didn't know anybody. Throughout the 80's and 90's, most of the models I built were pretty much normal OOB stuff. I had a Space Shuttle, B-1B bomber, New Jersey modern battleship, Bismarck battleship, Forest Sherman destroyer, F-4 Phantom, Ford F-150 pickup truck, SR-71 Blackbird, F-19 Stealth Fighter, and a whole bunch of other stuff. All that stuff is long gone now. Relegated to the garbage heap somewhere.

Now it is the 2000's and times have changed. More to follow in another post.  :thumbsup:

Hi, Seadude!  Our stories are a lot alike. And once neat coincidence, you got started modeling in '81, I was "released" in '81. (They broke the mold and I was imited production run of one unit) 

When I was a kid I built a bunch of models. B-25s, B-17s, a bunch of Star Trek stuff...even had a similar pick up truck to yours but If I remember right it was an F-250 or 350 with four doors!! Early 90's or late 80's model. It was so cool!  Anyway...it all got thrown away...year later in my teens I did some more and kept those but I keep thinking about all the ones I trashed and regret it now. Do you ever look back and think, "Man, I wish I had kept all that..... "   ? 

I'm just on the first page here of your Shenanigans so far but am looking forward to reading through and looking at your projects. I'm trying to get to EVERYONE's stuff eventually.   ;D :ph34r: :laugh: Looks like yours is on deck for today.  I haven't been here long so the tons of backlogs to look through is awesome. Here lately I just sit around modeling and reading... modeling and reading.. I've been off work for over a week now. Not fun to be broke, but the silver lining is I get to look through your Shenanigans today.   ;D

See you 'round the boards,
Brad
-Sprues McDuck-

seadude

WIN!  :drink:  Got back home from a small local model contest (non-IPMS) a few hours ago. Didn't do too bad. ;)

3rd Place for the following:
http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery/dio/usn/USWarships-700-em/index.htm

And got the following for my USS Solace Hospital Ship:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5836/30378341682_642c44ff26_b.jpg
a) 1st Place Gold Award
b) Best Scratchbuilt/Kitbashed Model trophy
c) Best in Show Award!  ;D

And........this was a contest that offers food as prizes. Best In Show also wins a 10-15lb. smoked ham, perfect for Christmas dinner!  ;D
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: seadude on October 29, 2016, 05:06:59 PM

And........this was a contest that offers food as prizes. Best In Show also wins a 10-15lb. smoked ham, perfect for Christmas dinner!  ;D

Now that's what I CALL a good deal! Well done.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

Steel Penguin

the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

seadude

Thanks, guys.  :thumbsup: The win of Best of Show totally surprised me.
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

PR19_Kit

Should we suggest that they give food awards at Telford in future?  ;D ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kerick

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

zenrat

What food would be indigenous to the Telford area?

Given the vicinity of Burton on Trent, maybe Marmite on hot buttered toast...

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Weaver

Quote from: zenrat on October 31, 2016, 04:29:03 AM

Well Shrewsbury's just down the road, so Shrewsbury Cakes would be the thing:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrewsbury_cake
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

seadude

Well, if any contest were to offer haggis as a food prize, then count me out. It doesn't sound very appealing to me.  :P

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on October 31, 2016, 04:29:03 AM

Well Ironbridge and the site of the birth of the "modern" UK iron and steel industry is just down the road so Black Pudding would seem a good choice.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

seadude

Anyway...........getting back on topic.  ;D  You probably won't see much, if anything, from me in the next several months. No whiffery at all. :(  I have to take a break from building my own projects and instead concentrate on finishing up a TAMIYA 1/350 Enterprise aircraft carrier for my best friend. And No, his carrier won't be a Whif. It'll be built mostly straight from the box.

What will come after my friend's carrier is done? I don't know yet.