Scratchbuild or Kit? Which is best for Building a Delivery Truck?

Started by Cobra, March 10, 2015, 12:41:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cobra

Hey Guys, as You know, I'm thinking of doing a Diorama with an Airfield Bedding delivery Truck for the Fictional "Chock & Flock Bedding Limited" Co. Which would be the Best way,Scratchbuild or get a Truck Kit and Decorate it with the Company Name? not sure what scale to go with. What say You? Thanks for Looking. Dan

McColm

Airfix has the new 1/48 Albion 3-point fueller which could be Whiffed.

McColm

zenrat

Assuming you want a closed van type truck i'd use a kit for the chassis and cab and scratch build the body from sheet styrene.
I'd work in 1/72 because it is the one true scale for aircraft* and so would base my delivery truck on one of the Airfix airfield vehicles.
If you intend on delivering a lot of chocks and flock you could even use the Airfix Queen Mary aircraft recovery kit and convert the trailer into a long closed one...

*and will fit in my display cases.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Hobbes

What scale do you want to build the diorama? 1/72 is probably the easiest as you can use 1/76 OO-scale vehicles. In 1/48, you're limited to a few military vehicles. For 1/144 you could use N-scale railroad accessories.

Captain Canada

Hasegawa do the crew van I think. 72nd scale. It would also be easy enough to scratch as long as you had the wheels etc.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

sandiego89

Good advice above.  Kit is by far the best place to start, unless you are a master scratchbulider.  Tires(tyres), curved fenders and the grill area the tough parts to scratch up.  Beds and box truck/panel truck areas are much easier as they are flat, and can be made up from sheet styrene.  If you want to custom something up, use the front end, engine area, cab, frame, running gear (wheels, tires, suspension, etc) from the kit, and scratch up a custom bed.  Lots of good scales, depends on what you want. Plenty of kits in 1/72, 1/76 and 1/24.  Size of the diorama will likely impact your scale choice.  1/72 is a good scale for many dioramas, other sacles like 1/24 and 1/32 get really huge quickly.   
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

pyro-manic

The recent Airfix airfield sets might be a good place to start. Several different truck type vehicles in there...
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<