X-20 Dyna Soar and Titan Launchers

Started by MartG, March 10, 2015, 12:43:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartG

Way back in the early 1960s the USAF was determined to get into the manned spaceflight game, and their chosen vehicle was the X-20 Dyna Soar. Initially intended to be launched on a Titan I the vehicle soon grew in weight which necessitated a change in launcher.

Two mission profiles were planned - a suborbital 'once around' trajectory which would see it launched from Vandenberg AFB atop a Titan II, landing back at Vandenberg ( or other West Coast AFB ) after a partial orbit and glide. The second mission profile would use the Titan IIIC to place the X-20 in orbit.

Last year I produced a 1/72 resin kit of the Gemini Titan, so decided to reuse the same core launcher components for models of the X-20.

First, the suborbital version......

Murphy's 1st Law - An object at rest will be in the wrong place
Murphy's 2nd Law - An object in motion will be going in the wrong direction
Murphy's 3rd Law - For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction

MartG

kerick

That look so cool. I love the Titan series. The rocket, not so much the animie.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

MartG

When the X-20 was cancelled, parts of the USAF still wanted their own manned space programme, and a proposal was made to launch an X-24 lifting body into orbit using the launch vehicles intended for the X-20.

To protect the light alloy airframe of the X-20 I suspect it would have used similar spray-on ablative to that used on the X-15-A2. Oddly though the X-24 is generally thought of as being quite small, it was considerably larger than a Gemini spacecraft

http://martins-models.co.uk/Sales/72/X24/X24.htm

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

SUPER modelling there!  :thumbsup: :bow:

I've got vacforms of the X-24A and B, and the HL-10 and a few others, I really should get on and BUILD them!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

I must admit, having grown up in the shadow of the Cold War that I am used to seeing pictures of the Titan.  It's a shame it never caught on with the mainstream kit manufacturers in 1/72.   Your models are really nice.   :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

kerick

A Titan in 1/72 would be awesome. Huge whiff potential!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

royabulgaf

I bought an Estes 1/70 Gemini-Titan rocket many years back.  It may still be available.
The Leng Plateau is lovely this time of year

pyro-manic

Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

MartG

Quote from: kerick on March 14, 2015, 10:07:03 PM
A Titan in 1/72 would be awesome. Huge whiff potential!

If you want to whiff one, and don't need the full kit, I'm quite happy to supply individual parts  :thumbsup: