P-38 Floatplane

Started by KJ_Lesnick, March 12, 2015, 08:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KJ_Lesnick

Does anybody have dimensions on the plane? 
I've done some searching, I have found nothing.
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

rickshaw

Kendra/Robyn, I'd expect it to be the same size as a normal P-38...   :banghead:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

wuzak

QuoteVery early in the Pacific War, a scheme was proposed to fit Lightnings with floats to allow them to make long-range ferry flights. The floats would be removed before the aircraft went into combat. There were concerns that saltwater spray would corrode the tailplane, and so in March 1942, P-38E 41-1986 was modified with a tailplane raised some 16–18 in (41–46 cm), booms lengthened by two feet and a rearward-facing second seat added for an observer to monitor the effectiveness of the new arrangement. A second version was crafted on the same airframe with the twin booms given greater sideplane area to augment the vertical rudders. This arrangement was removed and a final third version was fabricated that had the booms returned to normal length but the tail raised 33 in (84 cm). All three tail modifications were designed by George H. "Bert" Estabrook. The final version was used for a quick series of dive tests on 7 December 1942 in which Milo Burcham performed the test maneuvers and Kelly Johnson observed from the rear seat. Johnson concluded that the raised floatplane tail gave no advantage in solving the problem of compressibility. At no time was this P-38E testbed airframe actually fitted with floats, and the idea was quickly abandoned as the U.S. Navy proved to have enough sealift capacity to keep up with P-38 deliveries to the South Pacific.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_P-38_Lightning

wuzak

This is one of the trial tail plane arrangements

sandiego89

Quote from: wuzak on March 13, 2015, 12:46:50 AM
This is one of the trial tail plane arrangements

That is uuuuugly.  Wonder why insted of the bananna shaped booms they just didn't move the horizonatal stab closer to, or to the top of the tail tips (like a OV-10 Bronco, Sea Vixen, etc)? 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

PR19_Kit

Maybe the fins weren't strong enough to take the vertical loads that such a tailplane position would generate?

And yes, it sure is UGLY!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

ericr

KJ_Lesnick

rickshaw

QuoteKendra/Robyn, I'd expect it to be the same size as a normal P-38...   :banghead:
Actually, considering the tail was lengthened, I would assume it was longer to a degree...

wuzak

That's the plane!

PR19_Kit

QuoteMaybe the fins weren't strong enough to take the vertical loads that such a tailplane position would generate?
Interesting possibility.
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

rickshaw

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on March 13, 2015, 04:42:42 PM
rickshaw

QuoteKendra/Robyn, I'd expect it to be the same size as a normal P-38...   :banghead:
Actually, considering the tail was lengthened, I would assume it was longer to a degree...

As the quote mentioned, the tailplane was returned to the original length, before the project was abandoned, Kendra/Robyn...   :banghead:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

KJ_Lesnick

rickshaw

QuoteAs the quote mentioned, the tailplane was returned to the original length, before the project was abandoned, Kendra/Robyn...   :banghead:
I mean while it was lengthened...

pyro-manic

Did you even read the replies above? It's already been posted....
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

KJ_Lesnick

Pyromanic

Sorry, I missed it

KJ_Lesnick

I'm curious why the P-38 had the original radiator design that it did and not something bigger?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on March 16, 2015, 07:55:39 PM
I'm curious why the P-38 had the original radiator design that it did and not something bigger?

Lockheed were hardly likely to fit it with larger radiators just for the hell of it, were they? Any larger would have increased the drag for no benefit whatsoever, so they made them as big as they needed to be...................
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kerick

Don't forget there is one on each side of the tail boom so if you add those two together it's about the size of a p-40 radiator. Lockheed was trying a lot of new ideas on the P-38, interesting lessons in aircraft designing.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise