NöNö Bärs Military Vehicles (Completed: Ukraine Leopard 1 tank)

Started by nönöbär, March 15, 2015, 07:41:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nönöbär

When travelling, I did several "Duck-Tours" - city sightseeing tours with an amphibian vehicle by land and water.
Very often, old WW2 Dukws - modified to carry more passengers - are used. Which would be a good WhatIf project as well.

So, to start with it, lets make an Dukw OOB, this is an 1/76 scale Airfix model, airbrushed with Revel Aqua Color. I also used some Tamiya rust on it, to have it a bit "used".

I have another of those kits here which should be the base for a "Duck-Tours" Dukw.
Daily updates from my engineer: https://twitter.com/Scratchbr1

--------------------
German Naval History               : www.german-navy.de
Bärenreisen                             : www.barenurlaub.de

PR19_Kit

Great stuff there.  :thumbsup: :bow:

The DUKW is Mrs_PR19's favourite vehicle and she'd have me driving one, given the chance! It'd save on tolls over the Severn Bridge and we could 'drive' to Gloucester up the Severn itself, but I fear the fuel costs would break us and the darn thing would be wider than most roads around these parts!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

MikeD

The Liverpool ones should be easy to model, you only need to do one corner of them!

There were two that went down in the Mersey a few weeks apart last year! I'm not sure if they're running again yet, the service was suspended for a while.

There was one dumped down by the river when I was a kid (I grew up a few hundred yards from the Mersey), although I didn't really know what it was when I was a kid, it was just 'the Duck' that we walked past when my Dad took us out for a walk by the river in the summer.

nönöbär

Poor Liverpool-Duck!

I guess I am lucky that I survived the two tours I made with old WW2 vehicles, the Duck-Tour in Boston and Dublin. In Boston, our Duck "died" on the street, so they had to replace it with another one. And in Dublin, they use additional floating bodies which are attached to the vehicle before they drive in the water.

Im Miami Beach. they have much bigger and more modern vehicles, so they should be safe  ;D

--------------------

PR19_Kit

In Wisconsin Dells, which is a bit like a land-bound Blackpool so Brits get the connotation ;D they have an operation using maybe half a dozen converted DUKWs which take you on a ride down steep gullys to the Wisconsin River, along the River for a bit and back across some mud banks, across a small lake and back to base. I enjoyed it so much I went for two trips, one directly after the other!  ;D

As you can see they don't spell too well in Wisconsin.....  ;)

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

nighthunter

Seattle, WA has DUWK tours year round. Never been, but I hear they're fun.
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

zenrat

There's one parked up just down the road from here near Tyabb International Airfield.  Never seen it moved so I suspect it's either sleeping or pining for the fjords.

Put these coordinates in Goggle Earth and you should go straight to it.
38°15'43.60"S
145°10'17.86"E
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Certainly looks like it from above. Unfortunately from Street View you can't see it, or I can't anyway.

Regards
Kit

nönöbär

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 16, 2015, 09:05:00 AM
In Wisconsin Dells, which is a bit like a land-bound Blackpool so Brits get the connotation ;D they have an operation using maybe half a dozen converted DUKWs which take you on a ride down steep gullys to the Wisconsin River, along the River for a bit and back across some mud banks, across a small lake and back to base. I enjoyed it so much I went for two trips, one directly after the other!  ;D

As you can see they don't spell too well in Wisconsin.....  ;)

This one does not look as much modified than the ones I have made the tours with. They always had additional seating at the back.
Btw, whats always cool are the drivers - I guess you have to have a certain level of madness to be one :)

--------------------

Dizzyfugu

IIRC there has recently been a DUKW "tourist ship" on sale in the Normandy region...

NARSES2

Been on the Thames one when me and some mates did the Tourist in your own city day. Good fun pointing things out to the real tourists  :rolleyes:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

To drive a commercial one here I guess you'd need both a PSV (bus) licence and a captains ticket.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

PR19_Kit

A bit like hovercraft pilots, who at one stage had to have maritime and aviation captain's paperwork at the same time, but I'm not sure if it's still like that now.

Regards
Kit

zenrat

A few years ago I looked into hovercraft operating requirements here in Victoria.
We had one we were using at the Poo Farm.
You basically just had to meet the boat requirements.  And then only if you were operating it in places boats went.  So you could drive one up and down a beach without a licence but as soon as you hit the water you needed a boat licence.  And a captains commercial licence if you were carrying paying passengers.

Fred

PR19_Kit

How about driving it down the street to go shopping?  ;D

Regards
Kit