Landkreuzers P1000 Ratte & P1500 Monster

Started by seadude, March 19, 2015, 03:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickshaw

Quite a few.  Not a bad first try though!   :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

philp

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 06, 2015, 07:12:38 AM
The one thing that model helps you appreciate is just how big these naval turrets were. I've never seen anything bigger then the RN 6"/8" turrets in real life *. It would have been amazing to have gone inside a 15"/16" turret.

* I've not been to any of the sites where there are preserved USN battleships when they were there  :banghead: Still it's another reason to go back across the pond and visit friends.

I have been on Alabama, Wisconsin and Texas.  Also the Carrier Intrepid and a few Destroyers and Subs.  Trying to think of a 16" turret on a tank, crazy.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 06, 2015, 07:12:38 AM
The one thing that model helps you appreciate is just how big these naval turrets were. I've never seen anything bigger then the RN 6"/8" turrets in real life *. It would have been amazing to have gone inside a 15"/16" turret.

* I've not been to any of the sites where there are preserved USN battleships when they were there  :banghead: Still it's another reason to go back across the pond and visit friends.

Some  years ago I went aboard the USS North Carolina at Wilmington NC where she's preserved as a memorial. She's the only battleship I've ever been aboard, although I saw the HMS Vanguard when I was young.

The NC was ENORMOUS, and the gun turrets just defied all logical thought. How could something THAT big move around and shoot those massive shells with any sort of accuracy? The whole trip just blew my mind.  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

wuzak

Some pictures I took of battleships when I visted the US in 2010.

The USS Wisconsin with 3 turrets of 3 x 16" guns.

This shows the scale of the guns, with people on the foredeck.

This one also shows the size of the guns.

The USS Massachusetts. Also with 9 x 16" guns.

Some 16" shells down in the turret of the Massachusetts.

NARSES2

They've got some heavy artillery shells at the IWM in London and they are very impressive. It's the pics of kids standing next to them that are best though. You really see how big they are
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

pyro-manic

They have a Dora shell (800mm! ) at the IWM. Absurdly large...
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

NARSES2

Quote from: pyro-manic on May 24, 2015, 07:36:04 AM
They have a Dora shell (800mm! ) at the IWM. Absurdly large...

Which one of the 3 museums ? Can't remember it.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

pyro-manic

Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

jcf

I was through the USS Alabama in Mobile back in '99 and what I found most interesting about
the turrets is the actual lack of space. They be crammed full of big ol' chunks of movable steel.
:blink:

rickshaw

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on May 24, 2015, 07:36:05 PM
I was through the USS Alabama in Mobile back in '99 and what I found most interesting about
the turrets is the actual lack of space. They be crammed full of big ol' chunks of movable steel.
:blink:

Thats what happens when the Navy wants to be able to load, ram and fire their guns at any elevation, in seas that are mildly rough.

I've been thinking about the P1000+ Ratte AFV and wondering where all the ammunition that it would require to carry would be stored.  I can't imagine a vehicle of this size going into battle with only enough ammunition and charges for a few salvos...

Basically you'd need some way to replenish ammunition while "on the move", otherwise it would be returning to a largar every few hour or so just to restock on ammunition.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

NARSES2

Quote from: pyro-manic on May 24, 2015, 01:57:03 PM
London. This one:

I honestly can't remember that  :banghead: :banghead: Or at least not as centrally placed as that. Mind you I haven't been since the refurbishment. You are now going to tell me it was there before the refurbishment  :rolleyes:

My only excuse is that the last couple of times I've been I've been in charge of small kids  :blink: Plus if I'm honest I much preferred the IWM back in the 50/60's when I was small and it was a "proper" museum. It was all the model tanks, guns, aircraft and ships I most remember. Made me want to build models

PR19_Kit

Quote from: rickshaw on May 24, 2015, 08:35:47 PM
Basically you'd need some way to replenish ammunition while "on the move", otherwise it would be returning to a largar every few hour or so just to restock on ammunition.

The thing's so big it could tow its own ammunition factory behind it!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

scooter

Quote from: NARSES2 on May 25, 2015, 01:06:42 AM
I honestly can't remember that  :banghead: :banghead: Or at least not as centrally placed as that. Mind you I haven't been since the refurbishment. You are now going to tell me it was there before the refurbishment  :rolleyes:

Yup.  It was there in the central atrium when I was there in 05.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

NARSES2

Right  :banghead: ;D

If I'm honest I can vaguely remember it. Probably thought it was something else. As said I'm not a fan of the IOM since they did away with all the 50/60's clutter. Old fuddy duddy I suppose  ;D

Dizzyfugu