Landkreuzers P1000 Ratte & P1500 Monster

Started by seadude, March 19, 2015, 03:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seadude

Reading the posts on Page 5 about the Wisconsin just gave me an idea.  :thumbsup:  Putting 1/350 scale 16" gun turrets on a tank chassis and making an American equivalent to the German P1000 Ratte.  ;D
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

seadude

Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

The Wooksta!

"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

seadude

seadude

IT'S COMING! Soon.........I hope. Takom is making a 1/144 scale Landkreuzer P1500 Monster model kit!  :wub: I can hardly wait! I'll buy 2 of them.  :drink:  :drink:  :drink:
http://www.armorama.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=index&req=viewtopic&topic_id=237379

Steel Penguin

the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

royabulgaf

Since we're on the subject, what the hell were these monstrosities supposed to be used for?   They just clank across the countryside at what, 10mph to achieve what?  They wouldn't be fighting other monsters, and an 11" shell, should it somehow hit a tank or machine gun nest or whatever is clearly overkill.  I can see the thing being bypassed by Allied forces like Japanese islands in the Pacific.

The Leng Plateau is lovely this time of year

PR19_Kit

Quote from: royabulgaf on August 02, 2015, 05:58:23 PM
  I can see the thing being bypassed by Allied forces like Japanese islands in the Pacific.

Or being targeted by 617 Sqdn............
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

Hitler was clearly over compensating from having his nads shot off.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

rickshaw

Quote from: royabulgaf on August 02, 2015, 05:58:23 PM
Since we're on the subject, what the hell were these monstrosities supposed to be used for?   They just clank across the countryside at what, 10mph to achieve what?  They wouldn't be fighting other monsters, and an 11" shell, should it somehow hit a tank or machine gun nest or whatever is clearly overkill.  I can see the thing being bypassed by Allied forces like Japanese islands in the Pacific.

You have pointed out one of the problems with such a beast on the battlefield.  The other is how/where to move them.   They are clearly too heavy for all bridges and most rivers are too deep for them to be able to ford them (or enter/exit safely).    Even the Maus was too heavy for most European bridges of the day, although the use of external power sources allowing them to ford the watercourse at least addressed this problem in theory, if not necessarily in practice, while under fire.   In reality, these were pipe dreams.  Impressive to the lay person but to anyone with an ounce of sense pretty much wasteful of manpower, resources and of course, barred from going most places because of the abundant water courses of Europe.    Their very immobility would mean they would be dodging bombs for most of their existence.   A 1,000lb AP bomb would destroy them fairly easily even with a near miss because of the hours of effort and the massive resources required to replace a damaged track.   I'd recommend that the Germans should be convinced to build thousands of them!   :wacko: :wacko:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

royabulgaf

I get that they would be sitting ducks, but what was their purpose?  Mobile coastal artillery?
The Leng Plateau is lovely this time of year

rickshaw

Quote from: royabulgaf on August 03, 2015, 07:03:46 PM
I get that they would be sitting ducks, but what was their purpose?  Mobile coastal artillery?

Basically mobile fortresses or mobile siege artillery.  They were too slow and heavy for anything else.  They would require a gigantic effort to manoeuvre anywhere and would tie up a vast force of engineers building roads and bridges to carry them over rivers.  They would have little value in direct conflict with the enemy.  You'd need to make sure that the ground that they traversed was safe from enemy forces attack.   So expect them to have a large conventional ground forces and a large AAA contingent associated with them as well, as dedicated air cover.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

TomZ

My Ratte is finished. Displayed with a number of other German tanks in 1/144.

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency