Comically Absurd Rifles & Bullets

Started by KJ_Lesnick, March 20, 2015, 12:06:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KJ_Lesnick

I. Comically Absurd Rifles

By this, I mean some of the following

• Rifles that are designed for unusual purposes: I don't know, like simulating the damage caused by a micro-meteor impact
  • Rifles that are designed for anti-material purposes: (Anzio 20mm)
  • Some custom design some moron who subscribed to the notion that there is no such thing as too much bang for your buck

II. Comically Absurd Bullets

By this, I mean projectiles that fit the following description

• Unusually large
  • Unusually shaped
  • Are actually capable of being fired out a gun whether or not their ballistic characteristics are ideal
While I'm out it I'm curious about the following

1. I was wondering how fast a person could get a 7.62 round up to provided the following

• The bullet was around 180 grains
  • The casing was necked down to accommodate the smaller bullet while carrying the maximum amount of gunpowder possible
2. What use would a projectile with a high fineness ratio (12/1 or 18/1) have either

• Using normal rifle shapes
  • Using a perfect cone
  • Using a flared oblique shape for minimum drag
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

Weaver

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on March 20, 2015, 12:06:06 PM

1. I was wondering how fast a person could get a 7.62 round up to provided the following

• The bullet was around 180 grains
  • The casing was necked down to accommodate the smaller bullet while carrying the maximum amount of gunpowder possible

IIRC there's an absolute limit on how fast any chemically propelled projectile can go, which is set by the rate at which the propellant gas can expand. Putting more energy into it after that just makes the gas hotter, not faster. High velocity tank guns are pretty much at this limit now, which means the figure must about 1,750 m/s.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

dadlamassu

• Unusually shaped

The Puckle gun fired square section bullets (bottom right in the picture)

PR19_Kit

The .220 Swift was a pretty absurd looking assembly. The bullet was tiny and mounted on a relatively huge cartridge, but it produced an ultra high muzzle velocity of something over 4000 ft/sec IIRC.

I had occasion to use a Winchester Model 70 chambered for the .220 Swift back in the '60s and it was remarkably accurate and seemed almost impervious to cross-winds, but the darn thing didn't half kick! So much so that I tended to flinch before firing, not recommended for accurate shooting.

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Quote from: dadlamassu on March 20, 2015, 12:44:41 PM

• Unusually shaped

The Puckle gun fired square section bullets (bottom right in the picture)

I seem to recall reading that the square bullets were to be used in "the colonies" and that round bullets were to be used in European fighting.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

dadlamassu

The square bullets were to be used against "non-Christians" (particularly Ottomans) because it was thought they would do more damage and so "persuade" the survivors of the benefits of converting to Christianity.

pyro-manic

Two-stage gas guns are used to generate stupid velocities for research.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light-gas_gun

For crazy velocities with a 7.62ish bullet, have a look at "wildcat" cartridges based on the .338 Lapua Magnum and the like.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

kerick

Quote from: pyro-manic on March 20, 2015, 02:00:15 PM
Two-stage gas guns are used to generate stupid velocities for research.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light-gas_gun

I had not heard of such a gun, even for research. Makes me wonder........ could this be mounted in a turret.......... If the initial charge, piston, light gas and projectile were all combined in a cartridge......? That'll be my story, and I'm stick'n to it!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

pyro-manic

The question is, why? What purpose would it serve? And how enormous would the turret have to be to accommodate it?
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

perttime

Perhaps not comically absurd ... but I find the 20mm Lahti L-39 rifle quite interesting.

"The Lahti L-39 is a Finnish 20 mm anti-tank rifle used during the Second World War. It had excellent accuracy, penetration and range, but its size made transportation difficult. It was nicknamed "Norsupyssy" ("Elephant Gun"), and as tanks developed armour too thick for the Lahti to penetrate its uses switched to long range sniping, tank harassment and with the L-39/44 fully automatic variant, an improvised anti-aircraft weapon."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lahti_L-39

(Wikimedia photo)

PR19_Kit

The Boys anti-tank rifle was in the same league. It was also called 'The Elephant gun' by it's users, great minds think alike.  ;D

It used a 0.55" round that had a muzzle velocity of 2,500 ft/sec and was reasonably effective against early WWII period more lightly armoured vehicles, but was rapidly outclassed and replaced with the PIAT in service. The recoil of the Boys was really diabolical even though it was fitted with a slide mounted barrel, shock absorbers and a hefty muzzle brake.

It was even used in Finland too.

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

DarrenP2

Boyes were still being issued in 1944

eatthis

custom made pc desks built to order (including pc inside the the desk)

https://www.etsy.com/uk/your/listings?ref=si_your_shop

http://tinypic.com/m/hx3lmq/3

NARSES2

The Soviets were big users of AT rifles right through to the end of WWII and some of those were massive. Either that or all the lads carrying them in photos were 5 foot or under. I've often wondered if these were used for harassing fire sort of thing. Make tank crews stay buttoned up ? Can't imagine them being effective on late war armour
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

rickshaw

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 22, 2015, 08:23:36 AM
The Soviets were big users of AT rifles right through to the end of WWII and some of those were massive. Either that or all the lads carrying them in photos were 5 foot or under. I've often wondered if these were used for harassing fire sort of thing. Make tank crews stay buttoned up ? Can't imagine them being effective on late war armour

The Soviets used them against the flanks and rear of the AFVs they faced in German hands.  They tended to be quite effective apparently at either penetrating the lower hull armour (often about 10-25mm in thickness) or in killing the AFV's crew if they were fighting heads out.

My father who fired the Boys during WWII always said it "had a kick like a Mule!"   As he was a fairly slight man, I wouldn't be surprised if he was telling the truth.  The US Marines used Boys, especially flown across the Pacific to them, in their raider units as anti-Materiale' and personnel rifles, during the early part of the Pacific War.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.