Comically Absurd Rifles & Bullets

Started by KJ_Lesnick, March 20, 2015, 12:06:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

perttime

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on March 25, 2015, 02:18:39 PM
QuoteDifficult.
Why?

QuoteYou need to get several things working in balance, to get speed out of bullets: bullet weight, barrel length, rifling twist, burning rates, amount of powder, pressure (enough but not too much), strength of the case, strength of barrel and action.
So, let's discuss the simplest part of the equation: Bullet weight, burning rates, and powder quantity...
Bullet weight:
up to some point, it is easier to accelerate a light bullet to high speed, but light bullets have disadvantages in in-flight performance and power delivered to the target. Sabot projectiles may help with in-flight performance.
Burning rates and powder quantity:
Ideally, you'd have your powder produce as much pressure as your components can take safely, for as long as the bullet is in the barrel.
If you use fast burning powder, you get high initial pressure but it falls off rapidly. With some lower powered cartridges like .22LR and your normal pistol cartridges, the bullet will actually start slowing down in a rifle size barrel. Use more of the fast powder, and you blow up your gun.
If you use slow powder, pressure builds up slowly and the bullet keeps accelerating for longer - if you have a long barrel. At some point, the pressure will still fall off.
There's powders where the granules are shaped to provide a progressive burning rate, but there's only so much you can accomplish with this.
If you manage to get a combination of bullet and powder (chemistry and granule shape), that maintains high pressure for a long time without blowing up the gun - you still need a barrel that is long enough to contain the bullet while the pressure is up. If we are talking about man-portable rifles, there's limits to how long you want to go.

You could go for a bullet that becomes a rocket after it leaves the barrel. I don't know much about rocket performance, but think that additional complications come into play there.

Lots of powder and high velocities wear out a barrel quickly. For a pretty regular rifle at 3000 fps, 3000 rounds is normal ACCURATE life for a barrel. Some start losing accuracy at around 1500 rounds, some may go to 5000. Add more speed and you are soon in hundreds of rounds of accurate barrel life.
http://www.accurateshooter.com/technical-articles/facts-about-barrel-life/

PR19_Kit

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on March 25, 2015, 08:56:32 PM
PR19_Kit

You sound like you hunted a lot as well

No I didn't, but I did a LOT of target shooting and owned two of my own weapons.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

pyro-manic

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on March 25, 2015, 08:56:32 PM
pyro-manic
3. Yeah, I've heard of a guided sniper-round: Smart-bomb merges with rifle-bullet -- I guess it was only a matter of time.
4. As for the gas-gun idea: I would assume the rupture disc would be permanently destroyed after every shot...

Yes. You'd have to replenish the hydrogen too. Not really practical as a weapon. Maybe a cluster of pre-primed chambers like a revolver cannon could be workable. Still tricky, though.

The smart bullets are .50BMG and laser-guided - there's footage on youtube. Search for DARPA EXACTO.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

sandiego89

I imagine the Davy Crockett nuclear device would count as a comically absurd rifle and bullet.... :o

It was a smoothbore, recoiless rifle, with a very interesting "bullet"
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

KJ_Lesnick

perttime

QuoteBullet weight: up to some point, it is easier to accelerate a light bullet to high speed
One reason the 5.56 x 45 has such a high muzzle velocity compared to the 7.62 x 51...

Quotebut light bullets have disadvantages in in-flight performance
More easily nudged along by wind...

Quoteand power delivered to the target.
Yup F=MA, might be more A, but less M.

QuoteBurning rates and powder quantity: Ideally, you'd have your powder produce as much pressure as your components can take safely, for as long as the bullet is in the barrel.
Yup

QuoteIf you use fast burning powder, you get high initial pressure but it falls off rapidly. With some lower powered cartridges like .22LR and your normal pistol cartridges, the bullet will actually start slowing down in a rifle size barrel. Use more of the fast powder, and you blow up your gun.
Well, that depends on the barrel strength.  There have been gun concepts like "metal storm" that actually rely on superposed bullets (I'm not sure if they're arranged in the traditional casing/bullet configuration or merely a bullet with powder in the back) -- regardless, several rounds going off one behind the other produces very high pressure in the barrel.

QuoteIf you use slow powder, pressure builds up slowly and the bullet keeps accelerating for longer - if you have a long barrel. At some point, the pressure will still fall off.
So long as the bullet keeps accelerating until it leaves the barrel... and without having to deal with excessive pressures the barrel doesn't have to be built to ridiculous standards.

QuoteThere's powders where the granules are shaped to provide a progressive burning rate, but there's only so much you can accomplish with this.
How about using some kind of solid-rocket fuel?  Gunpowder were used in primitive rockets, and I've built and fired a few using a propellent that was more or less gunpowder.  Well, the space-shuttle uses aluminum or aluminum oxide and ammonium perchlorate bound in something that gives a rubber like texture.

This might be a little excessive (ammonium perchlorate burns at something like 8,000 degrees)... but you could get something that produces more heat and pressure than gunpowder though.

Quoteyou still need a barrel that is long enough to contain the bullet while the pressure is up. If we are talking about man-portable rifles, there's limits to how long you want to go.
Yup... there are ideas which could involve relief valves.

QuoteYou could go for a bullet that becomes a rocket after it leaves the barrel. I don't know much about rocket performance, but think that additional complications come into play there.
True enough, plus after awhile you're talking about a rocket.

QuoteLots of powder and high velocities wear out a barrel quickly.
Yup

On a different subject: I remember a concept that involved producing a vacuum in front of the gun: The idea is it'd reduce resistance and accelerate the expansion of the gases (less resistance on one side)

pyro-manic

QuoteYes.
Is there anything that could work like a rupture disc that won't be ruined every time you fire a round?

QuoteYou'd have to replenish the hydrogen too.
True

QuoteNot really practical as a weapon. Maybe a cluster of pre-primed chambers like a revolver cannon could be workable. Still tricky, though.
True enough and by that point why not just build a railgun... now that's some speed.

Sandiego89

Davy Crocket didn't have rifling, but I'll list it anyway

Also... However this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M65_Atomic_Cannon
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

pyro-manic

Some ridiculously over-built valve system, perhaps. But I don't know much about how feasible (never mind practical) that would be. Probably very bulky.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Rheged

Is this a place or time to introduce into the discussion the V3 weapon (‎Mimoyecques , France),  the late Saddam Hussein's Mother of all Guns (barrel sections forged in Sheffield) and/ or the Peenemunde Arrow   shell?........or even Project Harp??    You probably all know all about these, but there's a few seconds worth   of research below as an aide memoire.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V-3_cannon

http://www.nytimes.com/1992/10/28/us/exports-by-us-aided-iraq-super-gun-house-banking-chief-says.html

http://www.warandtactics.com/smf/experimental-prototypes-research-in-the-reich/peenemunde-arrow-shells/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_HARP

"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

perttime

Quote from: pyro-manic on March 26, 2015, 02:10:11 PM
Some ridiculously over-built valve system, perhaps. But I don't know much about how feasible (never mind practical) that would be. Probably very bulky.
If you mean valves that open or close while the bullets is accelerating in the barrel, you also need the valves to work quickly and pretty well timed:
"So how long does a centerfire bullet (with 3000 fps MV) typically stay in the bore? The answer is about .002 seconds."
http://www.accurateshooter.com/technical-articles/facts-about-barrel-life/

NARSES2

Quote from: Rheged on March 26, 2015, 02:54:41 PM
the late Saddam Hussein's Mother of all Guns (barrel sections forged in Sheffield)

Allegedly ! I knew the people involved and they all swore blind they were for an oil refinery. They were subject to some quite severe questioning by the police and were under arrest at the time. Strangely another forging company in the West Midlands who were allegedly working on the same kit were not spoken to at all. This companies parts could in no way be deemed to be connected with the oil industry.

My personal view was that at least one of the companies involved had been duped.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

KJ_Lesnick

PR19_Kit

QuoteNo I didn't, but I did a LOT of target shooting
Oh, cool.

Quoteowned two of my own weapons.
May I ask what kind?

Rheged

QuoteIs this a place or time to introduce into the discussion the V3 weapon (‎Mimoyecques , France),  the late Saddam Hussein's Mother of all Guns (barrel sections forged in Sheffield) and/ or the Peenemunde Arrow   shell?........or even Project Harp??    You probably all know all about these, but there's a few seconds worth   of research below as an aide memoire.
The Peenemunde arrow was definitely an interesting design, and the V-3 was a pretty creative idea though it has one major problem (it depends on multiple charges)

perttime

QuoteIf you mean valves that open or close while the bullets is accelerating in the barrel, you also need the valves to work quickly and pretty well timed: "So how long does a centerfire bullet (with 3000 fps MV) typically stay in the bore? The answer is about .002 seconds."
Good point... camera shutters open and close real fast 1/1000 or 1/2000 of a second (0.001 to 0.0005), which would theoretically allow a 6,000 to 12,000 f/s bullet.
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on March 27, 2015, 07:43:09 PM
Quoteowned two of my own weapons.
May I ask what kind?

One was a BSA Martini International Mk1 and the other was a Walther KKM, both in .22LR of course. I carved my own thumb-hole stock for the BSA, not very well, but it was more comfortable on the range.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

KJ_Lesnick

PR19_Kit

Did you fire at a stationary target or at clay pigeons?

rickshaw

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on April 19, 2015, 04:55:46 PM
PR19_Kit

Did you fire at a stationary target or at clay pigeons?

Kendra/Robyn, PR10_Kit mentioned the calibres of his firearms.  Do you honestly believe that a .22 LR calibre weapon would be very capable of shooting clay pigeons effectively when you normally use shotguns for that sort of target?   :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

PR19_Kit

;D

I used a Browning Sweet 16 for shooting clays, and was very much frowned upon for a] firing from the hip and b] using an auto anyway! 'Proper' shooters used over-unders at a pinch but really preferred to use side-by-sides in those sort of circles.  ;D :lol:

Most of my target shooting was on paper targets at 25 yards, both indoor and outdoors, but I did use both weapons at 200 yards at Bisley a few times. The round was flying so slowly by the time it got there I almost had enough time to swap to the spotting scope and watch it hit! 22LR at that range needed a massive amount of elevation too, I found it most uncomfortable.

Regards
Kit

KJ_Lesnick

Rickshaw,

Sorry, it was an attempt at humor.  I don't know why -- it wasn't terribly funny