HAL Ajeet II; ‘S810’ of Indian Air Force No.2 Squadron, Ambala Air Base, 1988

Started by Dizzyfugu, March 21, 2015, 05:30:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

1:72 Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) Ajeet II, aircraft 'S810' of No.2 Squadron, Indian Air Force (IAF, भारतीय वायु सेना, Bharatiya Vāyu Senā); Ambala Air Base, 1988 (Whif/Matchbox kit conversion) by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

1:72 Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) Ajeet II, aircraft 'S810' of No.2 Squadron, Indian Air Force (IAF, भारतीय वायु सेना, Bharatiya Vāyu Senā); Ambala Air Base, 1988 (Whif/Matchbox kit conversion) by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Some background:
The HAL Ajeet II (Sanskrit: अजित, for Invincible or Unconquerable) was a development of the British Folland Gnat fighter that was built under license in India by Hindustan Aeronautics Limited.

The Indian Air Force (IAF) operated the Folland Gnat light jet fighter from 1958, with over 200 aircraft being license built by Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL). The aircraft proved successful in combat in both the 1965 and the 1971 War with Pakistan, both in the low-level air superiority role and for short range ground attack missions, while being cheap to build and operate. It had unreliable systems, though, particularly the control system, and was difficult to maintain. The Indian Air Force therefore issued a requirement for an improved Gnat in 1972. Although the original requirement called for an interceptor, it was later modified to include a secondary ground-attack role.

The aircraft was given the name "Ajeet" and the changes from the original Gnat were considerable. They included:
- Improvements to the hydraulics and control systems (these had been a source of difficulties in the Gnat).
- Fitting of improved Martin-Baker GF4 ejection seats.
- Upgraded avionics.
- The addition of slab tail control surfaces.
- Improvements to the landing gear.
- Additional internal fuel capacity with "wet wings" to free the original pair of underwing pylons for weapons.
- Installation of two more underwing hardpoints.

Hindustan Aeronautics Limited modified the final two Gnats on the production line as prototypes for the Ajeet, with the first one flying on 6 March 1975, with the second following on 5 November. Testing proved successful of the Ajeet, and it became the first production aircraft flew on 30 September 1976. Visually, the Ajeet appeared similar to the Gnat, with the presence of two extra hardpoints being the only obvious distinguishing features from the older aircraft.

The Ajeet entered service with the IAF in 1977, but this was not the end of the Gnat/Ajeet's development potential. A HAL project for a trainer based on the Ajeet was begun, leading to the initial flight of a prototype in 1982. Unfortunately this aircraft was lost in a crash later that year. A second prototype flew the following year, followed by a third. But a lack of government interest and the imminent phase-out of the aircraft meant no more examples were produced.

Another, more radical Gnat derivate was more successful, the supersonic Ajeet II. The development of this aircraft started in 1978, and while the Ajeet II outwardly looked very much like its 1st generation kin, it was an almost completely different aircraft.

Basic idea had been to get the Ajeet up to the performance of the Northrop F-5A Freedom Fighter - with major focus on speed and overall better performance. It was soon clear that the original, the single HAL/Bristol Siddeley Orpheus 701-01 turbojet with 20.0 kN (4,500 lbf) of thrust would not suffice. Consequently, HAL engineers worked on the internal structure of the Gnat/Ajeet to cramp two smaller Rolls Royce Viper engines with indigenous afterburners into the fuselage. At full power the small aircraft was now powered with almost twice as much power, but modifications were considerable, including new air intakes with shock cones and new ducts, which necessitated a lower location of the Aden cannons under the intakes instead of their flanks.

The rear fuselage had to be widened and lengthened accordingly, and the wings were also completely new, with a thinner profile, less depth and a higher sweep at quarter chord. The wing area was ~30% bigger than before and also offered an increased internal space for fuel.
The elongated forward fuselage was used for an additional fuel tank as well as more sophisticated avionics - including a RP-21 radar that was also installed in the license-built Indian MiG-21. The new systems allowed the use of R-3S 'Atoll') AAMs (of Soviet or Chinese origin) or French Matra Magic AAMs, four of which could be carried under the wings.

The development of the engines was protracted, though, especially the afterburner went through a lot of teething troubles, so that development aircraft had to get by without th extra performance punch. The first Ajeet II prototype flew in 1984 and the type was ready for service in 1986 and adopted by two fighter squadrons which started to retire the 1st generation Gnats and also some Hunters. Anyway, upon commissioning it was already clear that the Ajeet II would not have a bright future, as the classic gun fighter had become more and more obsolete.

Nevertheless, the Ajeet II was built in 36 specimen (plus two prototypes and two static airframes) and proved to be a formidable air combat opponent at low to medium altitude. It could easily outmaneuver more powerful aircraft like the MiG-21, and the afterburner improved acceleration as well as rate of climb considerably. Its guided missile armament also meant that it could engage at longer ranges and did not have to rely on its cannons alone. The Ajeet II's ground attack capabilities were improved through a higher ordnance payload (3.000 lb vs. 2.000 lb of the Ajeet I).

But the light fighter concept was soon outdated. The Ajeet I was retired in 1991 and, unlike the IAF Gnats, never saw combat. The Ajeet II was kept in service only a little longer, and its retirement started in 1994. The remaining machines were concentrated in one single squadron, but this, too, was disbanded soon and switched to the MiG-29. The last Ajeet II flew in late 1997.

General characteristics:
    Crew: 1
    Length: 10,54 m (34 ft 6 2/3 in)
    Wingspan: 8,57 m (28 ft 1 in)
    Height: 2.80 m (9 ft 3 in)
    Wing area: 16.4 m² (177 ft²)
    Aspect ratio: 3.56
    Empty weight: 3,100 kg (6,830 lb)
    Loaded weight: 5,440 kg (11,990 lb)
    Max. takeoff weight: 5,500 kg (12,100 lb)

Powerplant:
    2× Rolls-Royce Viper 601-22 turbojets, rated at 3,750 lbf (16.7 kN) dry
    and 4,500 lbf (20.0 kN) with afterburner

Performance:
    Maximum speed: 1,152 km/h (622 knots, 716 mph) at sea level
    Range: 1,150 km (621 nmi, 715 mi)
    Service ceiling: 45,000 ft (13,720 m)
    Wing loading: 331 kg/m² (67.8 lb/ft²)
    Rate of clim: 12,150 ft/min (61.7 m/s)

Armament:
    2× 30 mm ADEN cannons with 90 rounds each
    Up to 3.000 lb (1.360 kg) of external stores on four underwing hardpoints

The kit and its assembly:
Well, this whiffy Gnat/Ajeet was actually born through an incomplete Matchbox kit that I bought in a lot a while ago. It lacked decals, but also the canopy... Vacu replacements are available, but I rather put the kit on the conversion list, potentially into a single seater.

Since I'd have to improvise and modify the fuselage anyway, I decided to take the idea further ans create a "supersonic Gnat". Folland actually had such designs on the drawing board, but I do not think that the company considered a twin jet layout? That idea struck me when I held a PM Model F-5A in my hands and looked at the small J85 engine nozzles. Could that...?

From there things evolved, a bit like what Fiat did with the G.91 that was turned into the G.91Y. I wanted the Gnat to become bigger, also in order to justify the two engines and the wider tail. Therefore I cut the fuselage in front of the air intakes and behind the wings and inserted plugs, each ~6mm. Not much, but it helps. I also found new wings and stabilizers in the scrap box: from a Revell Fiat G.91. More slender, more sweep, and a slightly bigger span so that the overall proportions were kept. A good addition to the sleek Gnat/Ajeet. The fin was left OOB.

1:72 Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) Ajeet II, aircraft 'S810' of No.2 Squadron, Indian Air Force (IAF, भारतीय वायु सेना, Bharatiya Vāyu Senā); Ambala Air Base, 1988 (Whif/Matchbox kit conversion) - WiP by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

1:72 Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) Ajeet II, aircraft 'S810' of No.2 Squadron, Indian Air Force (IAF, भारतीय वायु सेना, Bharatiya Vāyu Senā); Ambala Air Base, 1988 (Whif/Matchbox kit conversion) - WiP by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Another personal addition is the radar nose - I found the Gnat trainer's nose to be rather pointed and long, and the radome (IIRC from an F-4E!) was more Ajeet-style, even though of different shape and suggesting a radar dish underneath.

The new canopy is a donation from a Mastercraft (ex KP/Kopro) LWS Iskra trainer. Even though the Ajeet II is a single seater I used the Iskra's two-seater option in order to fill the gap above the Gnat's second seat. I just cut the Iskra canopy in two parts and used the rear half as a fuselage/spine plug – fit was pretty good.

The fuselage extension and the new tail section necessitated massive putty work, but the result is surprisingly organic and retains the Ajeet's profile - the whif factor is rather subtle. ^^

The landing gear was taken OOB, the cockpit interior was improvised after the fuselage was more or less finished with parts from the original kit, plus an extra dashboard.

Painting and markings:
Surely this was to become an Indian Air Force aircraft, and for the paint scheme I took inspiration from the manifold IAF MiG-21s and the garish combat training markings of Indian aircraft.

The scheme is inspired by MiG-21MF "C2776" of IAF 26 Sqn "Warriors" and "C2283" of 3 Sqn "Cobras": a basically all-grey aircraft, with added camouflage on the upper side, plus bright fin colors.

The camouflage consists of Humbrol 127 (FS 36375) for the lower surfaces and in some areas where it would show through the added paint: a basic coat of Humbrol 108 (a murky, dark olive drab) with large mottles in a mix of Humbrol 62 and a bit of 80 (Sand and Grass Green). Rather odd, but when you look at the pics (esp. in flight) this seems to be very effective!

The fin decoration actually comes from an ESCI Harrier GR.3 (RAF 4 Sqn flash), roundels and other markings were puzzled together, among others, from the Iskra donation kit.

The cockpit interior was kept in a very dark grey while the landing gear and the air intakes are Aluminum.

A small project, literally, and a subtle one. While this aircraft looks a lot like a simple IAF Ajeet, there's actually hardly anything left from the original aircraft! And the paint scheme is simply spectacular - India has a lot to offer! :)

TallEng

Very well done Dizzy :thumbsup:
I like the idea of a twin engined Gnat!
And you've done something I would of thought
Impossible, you've made a Gnat look 'fat' ;D
I trust you didn't 'Rush' it?
And please tell is it took at least a week ;)

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

Dizzyfugu

Yes, a week. ;)

Actually, the kit has been waiting the whole last week for this weekend for pics, it was almost finished when I posted the pics of the Ki-104.

Captain Canada

That is Gnasty !

Love the look of it. Great colour and markings combo, and I really like the twin engines.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PR19_Kit

I instantly recognised the 4 (AC) Sqdn. fin markings but could make very little sense of the rest, apart from it being obviously Gnat derived. Reading the backstory clarified it all of course, and what a MASTERPIECE it is.  :thumbsup: :bow:

Wholly logical and beautifully done Thomas.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

Thanks a lot, gentlemen!  :cheers:

I'll admit that the Gnat is the last aircraft one would try to add a second engine, I guess, but the flat fuselage offers plausible space - and I was inspired, too, by Folland's own projects to make the Gnat supersonic - even though these were AFAIK only thin wing concepts, all with just one engine. Sick idea, but it worked!  ;)

rickshaw

I produced a similar, albeit different aircraft with the Gnat T.2 trainer I produced for the RAF from the new Airfix Gnat.  I used twin J-85s, which worked rather well, I felt.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

kitbasher

So I thought 'yes it's another nice single-seat Gnat made from a redundant Matchbox Gnat' and then I saw it had two engines!

Excellent stuff, well done  :thumbsup:

So when can we expect to see an Ajeet III - one with a small delta wing a bit like the Helwan HA-300?  Using a MiG-21 wing perhaps?
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

KiwiZac

Gorgeous. That really, really works well. The camo, the loadout, the subtle mods - all combine to make a sweet little fighter. Love it!

I want one.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

sandiego89

Really well done, I appreciate the amount of work that went into making her a twin engined bird.

I put her in for a Whiffie.  Really nice job.

-Dave
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Dizzyfugu

Oh, thanks a lot for the nomination! And, again, many thanks for the feedback for this lil' Indian bug.  :cheers:

Concerning mods: I actually had, at a weak moment, the idea to try a VG Gnat... The Ajeet II here looks, from certain angles, VERY much like a half-size Tornado(!), and it layout is similar. Maybe, with 1:144 wings from a donation kit...?