HAL Ajeet II; ‘S810’ of Indian Air Force No.2 Squadron, Ambala Air Base, 1988

Started by Dizzyfugu, March 21, 2015, 05:30:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on March 23, 2015, 01:52:41 AM
Concerning mods: I actually had, at a weak moment, the idea to try a VG Gnat... The Ajeet II here looks, from certain angles, VERY much like a half-size Tornado(!), and it layout is similar. Maybe, with 1:144 wings from a donation kit...?

Hehe, that's GOT to be worth doing! We'll look and see if it's sorted by about Thursday then, OK?  ;D :lol:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

DogfighterZen

That's great!  :thumbsup: I like them small jets and this one is one seems like it's a mean little thing.  :wacko:
:cheers:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Weaver

That's excellent - well done! :thumbsup:

Actually Folland did study twin-engined layouts for the Gnat Mk.5 and they produced a distantly related concept with swing wings, the Fo.148.

http://www.airvectors.net/avgnat.html
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: Weaver on March 23, 2015, 06:22:15 AM

Actually Folland did study twin-engined layouts for the Gnat Mk.5? and they produced a distantly related concept with swing wings, the Fo.148.

:o OMG! Did not know that - but it's a nice whif project...  :wacko:

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on March 23, 2015, 07:28:03 AM
Quote from: Weaver on March 23, 2015, 06:22:15 AM

Actually Folland did study twin-engined layouts for the Gnat Mk.5? and they produced a distantly related concept with swing wings, the Fo.148.

:o OMG! Did not know that - but it's a nice whif project...  :wacko:

Get on with it then!  ;D :lol:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

Found this... The 148 in full glory. Reminds a bit of the illegitime child of a Gnat, a Mirage F.1, and the nighbors wonder where the VG winmgs come from...?

Feel tempted, though, it's a beautiful aircraft!  :wub:

PR19_Kit

What is it with the curved wing tips for VG aircraft of that period? The VG TSR2 was the same, and it doesn't look anywhere near as good as straight cut tips, so there must be some aerodynamic reason.

The Fo.148 DOES look terrific though, curved tips or not. I expect to see one emerging from the Dizzy Hangar before the  month is out.  ;D :lol:

Regards
Kit

Weaver

The earlier version of the Fo.148 had no tailplanes. Instead, it had a canard surface under the nose that turned 90 deg and retracted in high speed flight.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

Originally posted by Mossie here: http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,18130.15.html

Gnat Mk.2 and trainer variant

Gnat Mk.2 with tip tanks

Gnat Mk.4 and naval variant

Gnat Mk.5 twin engines

Folland Light Bomber. This was a proposal to the TSR.2 requirement! Obviously it had neither the range nor the speed the RAF was asking for, but it was part of the attempt, by several manufacturers, to convince the RAF that it's requirements were over-ambitious and it should adopt something simpler instead.

- Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Regards
Kit

comrade harps

Another excellent whif!  :wub:

It kind of reminds me of the Grumman F11F Tiger, only with 2 engines. Now, there's an idea for someone: Super Tiger, Twin Tiger, Freedom Tiger, something like that.
Whatever.

Dizzyfugu

Also found this one of the Fo.148:

Interesting that it carries Bullpups on its fuselage pylons - but this gives a good indication of its size... BTW, put orders out yesterday: an Airfix Gnat and a Revell/Dragon 1:144 Tornado. Maybe...?  :rolleyes:
But probably after the One Week GB. That reserved kit is already waiting, currently another pre-WWII quickie is on the bench, and I have a finished whif ready for pics next weekend. Busy...  ;)

PR19_Kit

Interestingly the Fo.148 uses inboard wing pivots.

I'm not sure if any successful VG aircraft used them, apart possibly for the XF-10F Jaguar, and I'm not sure that that could be called 'successful' really.  :o

[Later] Further reading on the Jaguar revealed that the wing sweep was just about the only part of the aircraft that DID work properly!

It was based on the Bell X-5's system, where the wing root moves rearwards as the sweep decreases, thus minimising the CoL movement.

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

In passing, why do I get this popping up whenever I try and reply to one of Dizzy's posts? I have to delete the 'Re:' bit every time, but others don't seem to get it as they have the whole thread title text on their replies.

I even got it when I tried to post THIS entry!!!  :banghead:

Regards
Kit