LHS Glasgow to close

Started by JayBee, March 23, 2015, 07:48:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayBee

Oh woe, Woe, and thrice WOE!

I was in Jamieson's models in Glasgow, and chatting to Ian (the owner) he said that he intends to retire at the end of May.  :o

Chris (his nephew?) is going to take over some of the stock and start up a new shop somewhere, but they feel that the current business is too big to use as a start-up venture.

For those who do not know Jamieson's, it has been Scotlands modelling equivalent of Aladin's Cave.

A sad sad day.

Jim
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

NARSES2

Agreed Jim. Only been there the once and your description of it as an Aladin's cave is very apt. Still they have earned their retirement

Where will your nearest shop be now ?

I can deal with ordering kits on line it's the lack of somewhere to get the paints/glues/tools locally that drives me nuts. I'm relatively lucky in that my local Smiths has an MZ but other then that it's an hour and a half by public transport to Hannants Hendon.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

JayBee

Nearest "proper" LHS will be Wonderland in Edinburgh, heck it is only 75 or so miles away!

Jim

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Nick

A sad day but at least it's due to the owner retiring and not bankruptcy. I shall have to stop off in Glasgow while I'm up that way after the Perth weekend.
The last time I went to Jamieson's must have been 10 years ago. :unsure:

Martin H

Its a pity and I will miss the visits to the shop with TSRjoe when im up there.

But as they say. "All good things come to an end"
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

kitbasher

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 23, 2015, 08:20:38 AM
Agreed Jim. Only been there the once and your description of it as an Aladin's cave is very apt. Still they have earned their retirement

Where will your nearest shop be now ?

I can deal with ordering kits on line it's the lack of somewhere to get the paints/glues/tools locally that drives me nuts. I'm relatively lucky in that my local Smiths has an MZ but other then that it's an hour and a half by public transport to Hannants Hendon.

Still not been to AJ Aviation aka Son Of TAHS yet then Chris?
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

NARSES2

Quote from: kitbasher on March 23, 2015, 02:25:06 PM

Still not been to AJ Aviation aka Son Of TAHS yet then Chris?

It's in the diary for a trip post Easter Dave. Have to go via Paddington which is slightly awkward from my place. Victoria and then the Circle Line. It's the coming back I don't like. You have to wait ages for the Tube, never as many coming back as going ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Quote from: JayBee on March 23, 2015, 10:10:21 AM
Nearest "proper" LHS will be Wonderland in Edinburgh, heck it is only 75 or so miles away!

Jim

Thought it would be.

Captain Canada

I was there 2 years ago. Neat place for sure. They even had a dungeon ! Or what appeared to be.

Sad to hear tho.

:blink:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

JayBee

Well gents a truly sad day.
I went up to Glasgow and called in to Jamieson's.
As the old saying goes "..and when he got there, the cupboard was bare".
There was only a couple of guys, who I did not recognize, dismantling the shelves.
The only notice on the door said SHUT

A sad day indeed.

Jim

Cats are not real. 

Martin H

as they say. All good things come to an end. Unfortunately.

I will miss the Sunday visits there with Joe when ever I'm in Glasgow.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Captain Canada

Yes, said day indeed. Sorry for your loss guys. I know some folk think it's wrong to lament the loss of material things, but I don't believe that. Nostalgia, childhood memories, of building kits, of visiting stores, of seeing models built by the older kids and adults that you oogled in awe. Halcyon days for sure. I'm glad I got a chance to visit the place when I did.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

NARSES2

Only visited twice, a proper model shop. Sad day