Locomotives and rolling stock in different liveries

Started by McColm, March 24, 2015, 02:05:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

In Britain we have the Heathrow and Gatwick Express train service. The only airline company that runs a train service is Virgin.
I need to do a bit of research to see if other airliners run or have run train services either to or from airports or other networks.
With the diverse of companies and modern or contemporary rolling stock could be used in the different model scales.
I know that the armed forces have/do run their own trains and rolling stock to transport tanks , armory, spare parts, engines and personnel. Armoured trains and Whiff-trains could be formed.
I can remember seeing an RAF wagon promoting the Red Arrows but haven't seen any others. There was a Class 91 also painted in a special anniversary colours (InterCity 225) GNER.

Perhaps a HST 125 in British Airways colours or UPS parcel train.

chiglet

Lufthansa ran a Frankfurt-Dusseldorf return as a Flight number using the German Railway. Very nice too  :thumbsup:

scooter

Quote from: chiglet on March 24, 2015, 03:05:42 PM
Lufthansa ran a Frankfurt-Dusseldorf return as a Flight number using the German Railway. Very nice too  :thumbsup:

Several airlines AFAIK codeshare with AMTRAK on transfers between PHL and EWR
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

PR19_Kit

Quote from: chiglet on March 24, 2015, 03:05:42 PM

I've travelled on that train. Bizarrely it was handled JUST as if it was a flight, complete with check-in, baggage check and 'in flight' announcements!

There's a recent repaint of a Class 91 commemorating the BoB Memorial Flight.

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Nick

Eddie Stobart started a small freight train service about 8 years ago with major deliveries for Tesco, last I heard the trains would be wearing Tesco blue and red.
They now run 6 trains per day across the UK and make Europe's longest regular freight journey bringing fresh fruit and veg from southern Spain to the UK.
http://www.eddiestobart.com/services/transport-and-distribution/stobart-rail/

What's to stop them from using the same livery as on their famous trucks?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Nick on March 25, 2015, 01:24:35 AM
Eddie Stobart started a small freight train service about 8 years ago with major deliveries for Tesco, last I heard the trains would be wearing Tesco blue and red.
They now run 6 trains per day across the UK and make Europe's longest regular freight journey bringing fresh fruit and veg from southern Spain to the UK.
http://www.eddiestobart.com/services/transport-and-distribution/stobart-rail/

What's to stop them from using the same livery as on their famous trucks?

I'm surprised they haven't, especially as there are numerous Whiffed model Stobart locos around, some even produced by Hornby!

I've seen models of Stobart Class 37s, 47s, 20s and even an HST! In the real world they've stuck to their own blue/white scheme on 66s and 92s. The locos are operated by DRS actually, but they're named just like the Stobart trucks, the lead loco being called 'Eddie'.  ;D

Pic from 'Nigel's Models and Mountains' site.

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Librarian

I've actually got a Revell 'Big Boy' in the loft I've been considering turning into a KriegsLoc for some time...black and red with a flag draped over. One day..... ;D

Rheged

"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Rheged on March 25, 2015, 07:22:12 AM
People may find this rail colour whiffery entertaining:-

http://www.fictitiousliveries.co.uk/

A terrific site, lotsa fun there.  ;D

They've even done one of 'my' APT-E in an Inter City scheme, and stretched it too!

A pity they did it from a photo before we'd started to restore it, it was in pretty poor shape then.

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

There were actually three Lufhansa trains, called "AirportExpress".

One was an Intercity train prototype (series "403") that was leased by the airline:

Originally in 1975, the 403 looked this way:

Today, the train (nicknamed "duckbill") is rotting in Pullitz...

The same corporate design was later transferred to a standard train with high speed intercity coaches, and at least two locomotives:

And, finally, there was a set of "branded" communter train wagons that ran with a standard DB locomotive as a feeder for the Frankfurt region ("Zug zum Flug"):

PR19_Kit

The one I travelled on was the middle of the three options I think. The coach's interior looked as if it was remodelled for the service as we had a 2 seat compartment to ourselves, complete with a sliding door to keep out the rabble.  ;D

IIRC we travelled from Dusseldorf to Stuttgart, en route to the Mercedes Benz Collection Centre, but the rest of that is another story.  ;)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

The sliding doors were standard in German Intercity trains (with six person cabins in 2nd class, not certain about 1st/business class), but IIRC the Lufthansa trains had an uprated interior in order to reflect the jets.

PR19_Kit

As we were travelling on Merc's ticket it was FIRST class the whole way.  ;D :lol:

Regards
Kit

piko1

Dizzyfugu actually one ET403 Donald Duck / white shark train is undergoing restoration in Germany
http://www.et403.pymt.bplaced.de/web_acappella/aktuell.html

there are a lot of innovation in the 403 its the first aluminum build train max speed 220 km/h
its pretty much airplane on tracks  Lufthansa had Flight attendant's to service the passengers on board and more