B-70 Valkyrie

Started by Deino, October 11, 2004, 01:05:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisonord

I have the AMT XB-70,I have had it for a long long time. It has probably done more mileage from bringing it home from the shop on my bike, 75 miles and me moving house than the real ones did :lol:
Mine is going to get whiffed, of course. I am thinking of putting ramjets in where the wings bend, and sticking an X-70 thunderdart on the back.
Chris.   
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

kitnut617

Actually the XB-70 is well represented in model form in one scale or another, from my book (PAK-20) and all injection unless noted otherwise;

Academy (& Minicraft) 1/144; AMT (reboxed by Italeri) 1/72; Aurora 1/105; Contrail (vacuform) 1/72; Cutting Edge (probably resin) 1/144 ; ID Models (vacuform) 1/48; Lindberg 1/169; Nitto (reboxed by Academy, Entex, Playkits, Sunnt/Japan) 1/300.

HTHs
Robert
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

kitnut617

Here's a pic of the 1/72 scale AMT one I'm in the process of building, but still packed away after my house move.  Dont recall any major problems with the build so far though:
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

Quote from: MilitaryAircraftModeler on April 11, 2009, 05:20:25 PM
Sweet frigging jesus....Shes a big girl isn't she????

You're not kidding!  :o

I took a trip to the USAF Museum at Dayton OH back in '01 and the XB-70 was one of the a/c on my list of 'gotta sees'. They have it parked above the X-15, which looks like a toy huddled down there. The six exhaust pipes are just GINORMOUS, and you need wide angle eyes to see them as the a/c is backed almost right up to the hangar doors.

Well worth it if you're ever in range of the place. In my case the company paid as I was working in the Minneapolis office at the time and Dayton was just a short trip away by Mesabe Airlines.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

rallymodeller

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on March 03, 2009, 09:56:22 AM
The iron in the paint of the blackbird oxidized?  Was that due to just the air or due to the temperature of the air it plowed through at high speed?

KJ Lesnick
"Let's hope I don't get a heart-attack"

Just plain ol' rust. Of course, heat cycling didn't help one bit.

BTW, did you know that the SR-71 actually became stronger every time it flew? The heat cycling actually strengthened the titanium parts of the structure. Theoretically the Blackbird airframes had an unlimited fatigue life if used as they were intended...
--Jeremy

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...

More into Flight Sim reskinning these days, but still what-iffing... Leading Edge 3D

JayBee

Quote from: kitnut617 on April 11, 2009, 04:35:15 PM
Actually the XB-70 is well represented in model form in one scale or another, from my book (PAK-20) and all injection unless noted otherwise;

Academy (& Minicraft) 1/144; AMT (reboxed by Italeri) 1/72; Aurora 1/105; Contrail (vacuform) 1/72; Cutting Edge (probably resin) 1/144 ; ID Models (vacuform) 1/48; Lindberg 1/169; Nitto (reboxed by Academy, Entex, Playkits, Sunnt/Japan) 1/300.

HTHs
Robert
Thanks for that memory Kitnut, I had forgotten all about the Aurora kit in 1967.
Can't remember what happened to it.

JimB
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Mossie

Quote from: kitnut617 on April 11, 2009, 04:35:15 PM

HTHs
Robert

There's one more that I know about, a 1/144 resin kit from Anigrand.  Pricey, but you do get the three 'secret' kits as well, one of them being an F-108!
http://www.anigrand.com/AA4007_XB-70.htm
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Archibald

Quote from: philp on March 03, 2009, 08:38:29 PM
Here are a couple of Mav's that I like.

GREAAAAAAAAT !!! Now we need a NASA variant.

Quotethe SR-71 actually became stronger every time it flew? The heat cycling actually strengthened the titanium parts of the structure. Theoretically the Blackbird airframes had an unlimited fatigue life if used as they were intended...

How about that... the fastest aircraft on Earth has an unlimited fatigue life.
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

rallymodeller

Quote from: Archibald on April 17, 2009, 12:38:33 PM
Quotethe SR-71 actually became stronger every time it flew? The heat cycling actually strengthened the titanium parts of the structure. Theoretically the Blackbird airframes had an unlimited fatigue life if used as they were intended...

How about that... the fastest aircraft on Earth has an unlimited fatigue life.

Pretty much. Of course, the titanium was subject to the same kinds of mechanical stresses as other metals, and in a metal as hard as titanium any cracks can be catastrophic indeed. However, the main issue as far as life expectancy for the Blackbird is concerned were the J-58s -- they were really, REALLY expensive to operate and hideously maintenance-intensive.
--Jeremy

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...

More into Flight Sim reskinning these days, but still what-iffing... Leading Edge 3D

uk 75

The prototype B70s were all over white. However, in the artwork before the plane flew it was shown in the SAC all over metal shiny finish like B52s, complete with the SAC sash.  I love that scheme and I think there are pictures somewhere of a model.

Like the UK's Avro 730, the B70 ends up in all over white.  I assume that all metal coloured versions would have been impractical, though equally given the speeds and heat involved, the white paint might have been peeling.

SAC's B52s of course ended up in a wide array of camo schemes from SIOP and Vietnam SEAC through to later Lizard and current boringsville grey.  I assume that B70s would have been too fast and hot for such schemes.

Presumably there would have been no scope for ordinance under the wings as the nuclear payload was squeezed into the belly bay.  Any thoughts or pics?

UK 75

KJ_Lesnick

I thought for the production design (if it was built) they were going to use some kind of opaque silver coat which was to reduce thermal signature
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

famvburg

My bet is that if we'd needed camo'd B-70s & F-12s or something other than bare metal, white or black, hi-temp paints in appropriate colors would've been developed, at least that's my excuse for some alternate B-70s & F-12s.

Quote from: uk 75 on May 09, 2009, 05:39:11 AM
The prototype B70s were all over white. However, in the artwork before the plane flew it was shown in the SAC all over metal shiny finish like B52s, complete with the SAC sash.  I love that scheme and I think there are pictures somewhere of a model.

Like the UK's Avro 730, the B70 ends up in all over white.  I assume that all metal coloured versions would have been impractical, though equally given the speeds and heat involved, the white paint might have been peeling.

SAC's B52s of course ended up in a wide array of camo schemes from SIOP and Vietnam SEAC through to later Lizard and current boringsville grey.  I assume that B70s would have been too fast and hot for such schemes.

Presumably there would have been no scope for ordinance under the wings as the nuclear payload was squeezed into the belly bay.  Any thoughts or pics?

UK 75

Mossie

High temperature paints were available. The black & white finishes were a painted finish.  The reason black or white tends to be used in high speed aircraft is that the colour itself offers around 150C protection over other colours, regardless of the finish.  It's not essential, but it does reduce the temperature enough relieve a little stress on the airframe.  Also, at the high altitudes such aircraft operate, camo is less of a requirement.  If operational needs were greater, then a camouflage finish could have been applied.

In the case of the Avro 730, models appeared in white mostly because an anti-flash finish was in use at the time.  The fear was that heat absorbent finishes would cause the airframe to be severly damaged by the flash of a nuclear explosion.  Hence white overall with very pale roundels & stencils.  It just so happened that it was useful for high mach flight as well.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

KJ_Lesnick

Nononono,

The XB-70 if it entered service was proposed to use a type of twin-layer silver paint-coat which was designed to alter the frequency of the IR radiation emitted from the aircraft to frequenceis which soviet IRST scanners weren't generally designed to pick-up...

KJ Lesnick
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

Damian2

Paint the thing desert pink...or just plain pink...
Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.