USS Stark CLV 01

Started by Doug K, March 27, 2015, 02:26:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug K

The model is based on several drawings found on Hybrid Warships. Scaled to 1/144th scale. Balsa hull with plastic superstructure and flight deck, she represents (probably) the most practical of the Hybrid Cruiser designs proposed to Rear Admiral Start in the late 1920s and early 1930s.
The mole is fully RC (4 channel) and the flight deck is populated by Sweet's Wildcats and bodged Vindicators build from Nakajima Myrt bombers.
I guess the hull is over 15 years old now and the model has really been retired (after an accident in a particularly windy sailing day in Edinburgh) but she qualifies as a Whiff, so she'll do for my first posting.

Not sure the image worked!

https://picasaweb.google.com/115282996396554305441/20111228133023?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCOiq1OO517SGzgE&feat=directlink

Captain Canada

Wonderful ! That looks very nice. Love all the guns at the front. I really like the last pic in the set, almost looks real !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

pyro-manic

Cooool! I haven't seen this design before - excellent stuff. Oh, and welcome! :cheers:
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

PR19_Kit

I like that Doug.  :thumbsup: :bow:

Have I seen pics of it in Model Boats magazine before? Or have you sailed it any regattas down south where I might have seen it?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kerick

Nice work! Welcome aboard!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Doug K

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 27, 2015, 05:54:53 PM

Have I seen pics of it in Model Boats magazine before? Or have you sailed it any regattas down south where I might have seen it?

Yes, Dave Wooley took some pix at a couple of the Warship Weekends in Glasgow. The hull was tested when I lived in Bedfordshire, but she wasn't completed until (well) after I moved back to Scotland!

Doug K

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Doug K on March 28, 2015, 08:28:38 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 27, 2015, 05:54:53 PM

Yes, Dave Wooley took some pix at a couple of the Warship Weekends in Glasgow. The hull was tested when I lived in Bedfordshire, but she wasn't completed until (well) after I moved back to Scotland!

Great, I thought it was ringing bells somewhere.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Martin H

Interesting Flat top idea there. ;D

Welcome to the nut house.  :thumbsup:
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Doug K

Just for info, the drawing was based on one found in Hybrid Warships by RD Layman & Stephen MacLauchlin. A good source of what if subjects

Cobra

Those Pictures were Superb! i Almost thought they were from the Video Game "Naval Ops Warship Gunner"! Keep up the superb Work :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: Dan

Joe C-P

Very nice project, I like it.  :thumbsup:
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.