Avia CS-199

Started by JayBee, April 02, 2015, 09:49:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayBee

For quite some considerable time now I have had the old KP kits of the Avia S-199 and CS-199. My idea was to cross-kit them and build a What If two seater with the underwing canon pods.
These two kits while useable are not up to modern standards, in fact the underwing canon pods are atrocious. So the idea stalled.
However I recently got the new Kovozavody Prostejov kit of the Avia S-199.

What a difference, the moulding is crisp, detail is superb, and the options given are NUMEROUS.
It is obvious that they plan to issue this kit in lots of different versions of the Bf-109 family.
What do you get?
One sprue has the bits specific to the Czech produced Jumo powered S-199.
Plus:

Three different propellors.
Two different spinners.
Two different Fin/Rudder assemblies.
Two different sets of tailplanes.
Two different drop tanks (were they droppable?).
Two different Carburator intakes.
Two different styles of oil coolers.
Three different engine top cover panels.
Two different styles of machine gun breech cover blisters, one of which can be modified to a third style.
Two different types of exhausts.
Two different sets of main wheels.
Three different styles of tail wheels.

The only (very slight) complaint that have is that in the instructions, where there is a choice of parts to use, the guidance you get is mostly "according to camouflage".

So I was very excited about the prospect of a new two seater to the same standard.

Oh Woe, Woe, and thrice Woe. Having searched their Web site and the Internet, there is no indication that they are thinking of producing one.
I was in despair, I was gutted, my modelling Mojo departed and ran off into the setting sun (OK from here it could only run for about 700 yds. Then it is a long swim.).

Then Mrs. JayBee, my guardian angel, my warder, and Psychiatrist, said

"What are you complaining about? You have done tougher kit bashes than that. Get on with it!"

So here we go :

The first stage is to see if it is possible to graft the two seat section of fuselage to the single seater.

That's's all for the moment folks.  :thumbsup:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: JayBee on April 02, 2015, 09:49:20 AM

Then Mrs. JayBee, my guardian angel, my warder, and Psychiatrist, said

"What are you complaining about? You have done tougher kit bashes than that. Get on with it!"

I can see who wears the trousers (or kilt?) in YOUR house JayBee.  ;D

But from the results you've posted she's dead right, looks like a goer.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Yup looking good mate  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

Thanks for the info concerning the new KP kit. Heard positive things, and your impressions seem to confirm them.  :thumbsup:

Captain Canada

Cool. Great job blending that in...really changes the look of it eh ?
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

JayBee

Next step is the canopy framing and I decided to get this done before adding any extra bits to the fuselage like wings, tail feathers, air intakes etc.

It was a rather fiddly operation as the old KP kit canopy has the windscreen moulded in the shape of a late Me-109 whereas the CS-199 has subtly different framing in this area. Particularly the flat portion of the windscreen which is shallower than the 109.

Then as I was trimming the very last bit of masking the canopy, which had been fairly lightly glued on pinged off. Fortunately the Carpet Monster was having an evenings nap and missed it's chance of a big meal.

However it was all put right in the end.

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

JayBee

Here it is now. Complete with yellow for training bands  :rolleyes:.

No more photo's, or anything else, until it is finished.

Jim

Cats are not real. 

dumaniac

Captain Canada

That looks so good ! The cockpit and the pilots look perfect. Changes it so much it's unbelievable....a great whif !

:bow:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

JayBee

Well more problems, I was hoping to get this model finished for this weekends Scottish IPMS Championship Show in Perth.
It is not going to happen now.
The transfers (decals to those who think American English is the only way to speak) are very thin and fragile.
It may have been that the water was a bit too warm but the first one, the starboard side of the rudder just curled up almost as soon as it was in the water, and no attempts to save it worked.
So that side of the rudder will just have to be hand painted and there is not enough time before this weekend. Such is life!

Here you can see the Port side of the fuselage.

.. and here the Starboard, less decorated, side.

Cats are not real. 

Rick Lowe

Looking good!

I will have to finish my frankenplane, now that a kit is available...  :rolleyes:

Cheers

Gondor

How about using acrylic paint, let me guess, you don't have the required colours or the time to paint it?

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Rick Lowe

Yeah, like the Acrylics very much, for the quick coverage and quick drying!

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

JayBee

Quote from: Gondor on April 23, 2015, 02:19:22 PM
How about using acrylic paint, let me guess, you don't have the required colours or the time to paint it?

Gondor

It is 1500 0n Friday afternoon, and I am trying. I have also got two other models to finish as well.
I may not get much sleep tonight.

See you tomorrow guys.

Cats are not real.