Alternative buys for New Zealand

Started by Weaver, April 03, 2015, 05:42:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howard of Effingham

Quote from: Thorvic on April 03, 2015, 07:07:58 AM
You can have the Nimrod in place of the Orions

hmm, I could also see the RNZAF operating a few flying boats to help serve the various Pacific Ocean Islands they
have responsibility for, say Shin-Meiwa US-2's as well as Nimrod's if the island could not take a runway long enough for a LRMP a/c that is land based.

good call on the Nimrod. :)

I have done a RNZAF MB-339 single seater in recent months btw.
Keeper of George the Cat.

DarrenP2

they opted for the venom because of close commonwealth ties so operating RAF types so they could integrate in operations like Borneo Confrontation. Remember in the 60's and early 70's a large chunk of the NZ army was based in Singapore as part of 28th Commonwealth Brigade.

DarrenP2

RNZAF from 1979 The worlds Airforces by Chris Chant

1 FB Sqn 10 A4K Skyhawk
              3  TA4K Skyhawk
1 FB/Trg  16 BAC 167 Strikemaster
1 MR Sqn   5  P3B Orion
2 med tprt sqns 5  C130H Hercules
                      6  Andover C1
1 Tprt Sqn        7  Bell 47 Souix
                      3  Westland Wasp HAS1
                      10 UH-1D/H Iorquois
1 Comms Sqn    4 Andover C1
                       2 Devon C1
Trainers            8 Devon C1
                       13 Airtrainer
                        4 Airtourer
                        3 Souix
other                 Bristol Freighter
                        (6 Airtrainer's on order)

deployment 1Flt    3 UH-1D/H Iorquois

DarrenP2

1979 Worlds Navies Chris Chant

Frigates
1 Leander
1 Broad beamed Leander
2 Whitby

Patrol Forces
4 Lake PC
4 HDML type coastal PC

Auxiliaries
1 Survey ship
2 HDML Type
1 Reasearch vessels
2 Tugs

DarrenP2

for the New Zealand Navy they needed a couple of General Purpose Frigates and some enhance Offshore patrol ships in 1971 the Government ordered 2 Modified Type 21 Frigates from Vosper Thornycroft. The main visual modification being not having Exocet SSM.
For the Offshore Patrol vessel they purchased from the Verlome shipyard 2 Eithne class opv's.

Rick Lowe

With the Herks up for replacement soon, I kinda like the idea of us buying the A400M... probably won't happen, but hopefully we will avoid getting the C-17...

DarrenP2

kiwis have upgraded their H's over the last few years. I saw in Airforces monthly about them seeing if the c17 fits their needs.

http://www.defence.govt.nz/acquisitions-tenders/current-acquisition-projects/c130-life-extension.html

Scooterman

Quote from: Howard of Effingham on April 08, 2015, 07:00:04 AM
hmm, I could also see the RNZAF operating a few flying boats to help serve the various Pacific Ocean Islands they
have responsibility for, say Shin-Meiwa US-2's

Oh HELL yeah!

Rick Lowe

(quote) I saw in Airforces monthly about them seeing if the c17 fits their needs.

Oh, $%^&* I hope not - particularly if one reason is 'commonality with the Australians' - who are re-evaluating theirs and may just get rid of them (to us?)!!
This would leave us as the only country down here with them - another item we are the sole user of, after buying them either cheap, or because we thought someone else down out way would get the same item...

Cheers

McColm

Instead of the C-130 , the C-160.
The Br1150 Atlantic in the MPA and ELINT roles, an inhouse AEW & C version exported to the UK under licence, South Africa, India and Australia .
The A-10 and two seater Sea Hog.
Frelon heavy lift helicopter
Rotodyne
Su-27 export version broker deal by France.
BAe Hawk
EH 101 Merlin

DarrenP2

Quote from: Rick Lowe on April 13, 2015, 10:24:30 PM
(quote) I saw in Airforces monthly about them seeing if the c17 fits their needs.

Oh, $%^&* I hope not - particularly if one reason is 'commonality with the Australians' - who are re-evaluating theirs and may just get rid of them (to us?)!!
This would leave us as the only country down here with them - another item we are the sole user of, after buying them either cheap, or because we thought someone else down out way would get the same item...

Cheers

Aussies are buying another 2 BTW was announced yesterday

Howard of Effingham

Quote from: Scooterman on April 13, 2015, 05:01:24 PM
Quote from: Howard of Effingham on April 08, 2015, 07:00:04 AM
have responsibility for, say Shin-Meiwa US-2's

Oh HELL yeah!

brad! do yer know that before the Japanese Government torpedoed the deal and the airport got the go ahead from
HMG, the UK overseas territory of St Helena was considering purchasing a Shin-Meiwa US-2 to help keep the island in touch with the outside world apparently. :)
Keeper of George the Cat.

Mossie

Bombardier CL-415MP's instead?  Like the Thai CL-215's that are used mostly for patrol and SAR.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

DarrenP2

I would like to have seen the New Zealanders have been involved in the P7 or Nimrod project along with the Australians, Canadians and UK.
In the AU New Zealand I have looked at are in a more British Commonwealth orientated world. And there there is more integrated programs involving the leading Commonwealth nations.

Weaver

Gnats to replace the Vampires in the early 1960s, upgraded to Ajeet standard in the 1970s with Indian help, replaced with Hawks in the 1990s.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones