Alternative buys for New Zealand

Started by Weaver, April 03, 2015, 05:42:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howard of Effingham

Quote from: Mossie on April 14, 2015, 02:12:46 AM
Bombardier CL-415MP's instead?  Like the Thai CL-215's that are used mostly for patrol and SAR.

glad you pointed that one out simon!  :thumbsup:

especially as I have at least one of the heller models of this flying boat if not two in the stash i'd forgotten about.   :rolleyes:
Keeper of George the Cat.

DarrenP2

in the Early 80's with the collapse of the Nimrod AEW3 program the British Government and BaE decide to convert Airframes back to MR standard and the 11 aircraft being made available for overseas purchase.
With the New Zealanders looking to expand and modernise their MR aircraft from the P3B. Being keen to repay the support given by New Zealand in the Rhodesia Debacle and the Falklands the Thatcher Government financed the conversion to MR2. The 11 Aircraft were divided into 3 groups 6 MR3 (NZ) 4 MR2(P) 1 R1(P)

Weaver

Five of the Aus army's M113 FSV hulls were given to NZ without their Saladin turrets. What if NZ had re-armed them with Scorpion OR Scimitar turrets? They had Scorpions anyway, so that would have given good commonality.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

zenrat

A small fleet of Lun class ekranoplans to operate a vehicle ferry service between North and South Island.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

DarrenP2

couple of scorpion/scimitar/fox turret combinations I had thought of

M113
Cougar (Mowag Piranah 6x6)
FV432
V150 Commando
CVR(W) be interesting with a 76mm gun

Rick Lowe

Quote from: zenrat on April 14, 2015, 04:59:19 AM
A small fleet of Lun class ekranoplans to operate a vehicle ferry service between North and South Island.

Nah - a couple of the Aist-Class Surface Effect Ships... run them right onto the beach and up to a connecting road - less infrastructure, drive away immediately.
Lots of noise to annoy the neighbours, though... ;-P

Mossie

Quote from: DarrenP2 on April 14, 2015, 12:55:31 PM
V150 Commando
From the same company, Commando Scout.  Shame there's no kit of it.

Tracked companion to the LAV III, CV90 or ASCOD?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

DarrenP2

the V150 have seen kits of it

hobbyboss do it in 1:35

Mossie

Yeah, I think it was Hobbyboss?  It was the Scout that I meant, the two door sports model of the V-150.  I've always like it's racy looks, like a gym-freak Lancia Stratos with guns:

I don't think anyone's ever released a kit of it, which is not surprising as it's only entered service with a handful of customers.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

rickshaw

Quote from: Mossie on April 23, 2015, 01:51:50 PM
Quote from: DarrenP2 on April 14, 2015, 12:55:31 PM
V150 Commando
From the same company, Commando Scout.  Shame there's no kit of it.

Tracked companion to the LAV III, CV90 or ASCOD?

How about xm800t?

Or the Cadillac-Gage Stingray?

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

rickshaw

Quote from: Mossie on April 24, 2015, 07:37:48 AM
Yeah, I think it was Hobbyboss?  It was the Scout that I meant, the two door sports model of the V-150.  I've always like it's racy looks, like a gym-freak Lancia Stratos with guns:

I don't think anyone's ever released a kit of it, which is not surprising as it's only entered service with a handful of customers.

I believe Hobbyboss planned to in injection moulded plastic or was that Trumpeter?   I'm pretty sure Hobby-Fan released a resin one years ago but I can't find any reference to it.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

zenrat

Does the RNZN currently have any subs?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Rick Lowe

We probably wouldn't get subs... not because they aren't 'cool' enough, but because the Navy can't even crew all the Patrol Boats they have now... a good proportion of them are spending most of their lives alongside at present... hence the current recruiting drive...

I can imagine the conversation:
"What do we want next?"
"Subs are cool... er, I mean would be Tactically and Strategically useful for us."
"Cool works for me, it's also a reason that would work on the Prime Minister." :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :banghead:

Cheers

DarrenP2

C130H do they need replacing? with what C130J/C17 or A400m?
757 do they need replacing? A330 or 767?
orion replacement?    P8