Alternative buys for New Zealand

Started by Weaver, April 03, 2015, 05:42:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarrenP2

wonder if the Kiwis would have gone for a standard commonwealth rifle to replace the L1a1 SLR?

rickshaw

Quote from: DarrenP2 on December 06, 2015, 02:23:42 PM
wonder if the Kiwis would have gone for a standard commonwealth rifle to replace the L1a1 SLR?

They did ,the Steyr which was common for Australia and PNG and Malaysia, all Commonwealth countries.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

DarrenP2

yes but what about the rest UK went for the SA80, Canada the C7, Belize the M16/M4

rickshaw

Quote from: DarrenP2 on December 07, 2015, 02:33:59 AM
yes but what about the rest UK went for the SA80, Canada the C7, Belize the M16/M4

None of them are a majority in the Commonwealth.  The Steyr is the closest to a "standard" in a non-standardised Commonwealth.

DarrenP2

given lots of commonwealth armies have stocks of M16 type rifles I'd say the M16 is more standard.

Though it being a choice of the C7 or the AUG is certainly a better option than the SA80 which i think is only used by Britain and jamacia

Weaver

Current SA80s are pretty good, but it took a lot of time, pain and money to get that state....
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

DarrenP2

had more problems with the A2 than I ever had with the A1

rickshaw

Quote from: DarrenP2 on December 07, 2015, 03:59:53 PM
had more problems with the A2 than I ever had with the A1

My understanding is that the A2 requires substantially more oiling than the A1 did but that it is more reliable than the A1 was.   I find the entire SA80 story rather sad and it points to the decline of British small arms in a significant way.   I know from having read the Arid Trials report the British/Australian Army undertook in the late 1970s that the experience was generally bad and I suspect that was one of the reasons why we never even considered the SA80 when we decided on our replacement for the L1a1.

DarrenP2

well looks like the Kiwis are getting an M16 Clone.

Only reason we got it was so Royal Ordnance had a contract to make it look attractive to BaE.

A1 needed lots of oil to but if you looked after them they worked. A2 I had more stoppages with than any other weapon I'd ever used.

DarrenP2

could the Kiwis pick up some ex RAF C130J's to paint their new flag on?

kitnut617

Quote from: DarrenP2 on December 11, 2015, 03:21:44 PM
could the Kiwis pick up some ex RAF C130J's to paint their new flag on?

Why would they be ex RAF, they only just got them themselves
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

zenrat

If I read the filthy gutter press rag correctly at lunchtime (mmmmmm pancake parlour) they don't actually have a new flag yet.  What they have done is chosen which one will go on the ballot against the existing one.
Personally I liked the hypnoflag best.  Maybe we can have it as one of the options when we change ours?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

rickshaw

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Weaver

Quote from: zenrat on December 11, 2015, 11:50:30 PM
Personally I liked the hypnoflag best.

Of course you do: that's how it works.... :blink:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones