Alternative buys for New Zealand

Started by Weaver, April 03, 2015, 05:42:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarrenP2

Quote from: kitnut617 on December 11, 2015, 05:54:08 PM
Quote from: DarrenP2 on December 11, 2015, 03:21:44 PM
could the Kiwis pick up some ex RAF C130J's to paint their new flag on?

Why would they be ex RAF, they only just got them themselves

RAF were due to cast the C130J for an all a400 fleet but are now retaining 14 of them

kitnut617

Quote from: DarrenP2 on December 12, 2015, 04:40:19 AM
Quote from: kitnut617 on December 11, 2015, 05:54:08 PM
Quote from: DarrenP2 on December 11, 2015, 03:21:44 PM
could the Kiwis pick up some ex RAF C130J's to paint their new flag on?

Why would they be ex RAF, they only just got them themselves

RAF were due to cast the C130J for an all a400 fleet but are now retaining 14 of them

I think it would be foolish to dump the C-130J, the A400 is twice as big as the C-130 and it would end up like what happened when the USAF got the C-5, it was just too big to go certain places
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

DarrenP2

they aren't getting rid of all of them they are retaining 14

DarrenP2

the A400M would be another nice aircraft to see in New Zealand Colours.

for a while the RNZAF operated 3 fokker F27's what where they used for?

Mossie

How about the CASA/EADS C-295?  It could take on several roles, transport, maritime recce, even adding an assault/COIN role if required.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

DarrenP2

295 would fit nicely into the gap left when the Andovers retired. Given the Area of Ocean RNZAF has to cover they will need a long range aircraft.

The Wooksta!

I'm still considering Shackleton MR2s in RNZAF markings, although they wouldn't look too different from my RAAF ones.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

DarrenP2

the Shackelton would look good. Pity no one does a CP107 Argus. But Liberator MPA would be another interesting MPA for New Zealand. A Bristol Britannia based MPA would be an interesting one for the UK & Australia as well.

jcf

Quote from: DarrenP2 on January 05, 2016, 04:12:09 AM
Pity no one does a CP107 Argus.  A Bristol Britannia based MPA would be an interesting one for the UK & Australia as well.

CP107 Argus = Bristol Britannia based MPA.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on January 05, 2016, 10:33:26 AM
Pity no one does a CP107 Argus.  A Bristol Britannia based MPA would be an interesting one for the UK & Australia as well.

Sort of.............
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 05, 2016, 12:42:37 PM
Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on January 05, 2016, 10:33:26 AM

Sort of.............

Execuform does a 1/72 scale one. Welsh Models does a 1/144 scale one.  Plus there is another company that put out ten 1/72 vacuforms, Santos is the name, how do I know  ---- got one in the stash.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Spey_Phantom

ive been thinking of building a RNZAF F-5E in 1/144 scale, allong with an Airbus A320 tactical tanker.
i think the F-5E would have been a good A-4 replacement.  :thumbsup:
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

DarrenP2

yes the F5 would have been a credible A4 replacement in New Zealand service.

Captain Canada

Love the Argus idea. And the F-5. Pretty sure I read an article about the Argus doing a tour of the region to promote herself.

:tornado: :cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

JayBee

For my ha'penny worth, I think NZ should have bought Typhoon.
However due to budget reasons they could only get two, one active and one for spare. The pool of pilots would each be allocated a year in which they would get one chance to fly it.
Transport, three Basler Turbo DC-3s. One based in North Island and one in South Island. Plus one as a spare.
MPA, why do you think there are so many Turbo DC-3s.

Training, that would be outsourced to the lowest bidder, whoever they were.

:wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!