BAS Weldon Snow Cat

Started by Weaver, April 03, 2015, 06:08:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossie

That's looking great!

Quote from: Weaver on April 04, 2015, 04:42:30 PM
Quote from: Captain Canada on April 04, 2015, 07:56:06 AM
Very cool. Going to be lovely especially when done and in your diorama !

:cheers:

ps-I didn't know that truck kit existed. Now I want one  :thumbsup:

It's a beauty: exquisitely detailed and not even super expensive. I picked up three when Modelzone shut down. HUGE potential for Whifs too: everything from moon buses to missile launchers.

I don't have this kit, but I had the Faun Elefant for a while and it looked just as good as this one.  Revell's recent truck kits are lovely.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Weaver

Quote from: Mossie on April 05, 2015, 12:30:24 AM
That's looking great!

It's a beauty: exquisitely detailed and not even super expensive. I picked up three when Modelzone shut down. HUGE potential for Whifs too: everything from moon buses to missile launchers.

I don't have this kit, but I had the Faun Elefant for a while and it looked just as good as this one.  Revell's recent truck kits are lovely.

Not arguing, but this one's by Academy..... ;D
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Mossie

Quote from: Weaver on April 05, 2015, 04:23:58 AM
Quote from: Mossie on April 05, 2015, 12:30:24 AM
That's looking great!

Not arguing, but this one's by Academy..... ;D

Ha, my bad! :lol:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Captain Canada

Nice start ! Looks pretty cool without the cab on ! Like a space vehicle or somat. I like the way it' going tho, defo an idea for the bank.

:wub: :thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Weaver

I found my box of Minicraft bits, and there's a MUCH better, fully articulated crane in there and a dozer blade! Although they're 1/87th, they still look in-proportion (cranes & blades come in a variety of sizes anyway), but the downside is that they're going to make the painting job more fiddly, which means I might not finish on time. I'm also considering making the sides of the cargo bed hinged too.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

Okay, here's the current major bits. Clockwise from top left: crane, dozer blade, modified fuel tank (mountings), dashboard with locating peg for post-paint assembly, engine bay with fuel tank guard, load bed (upside down), crane jacks, crane base unit:

And here's what it looks like with the big bits assembled:

- Indiana Jones

Mossie

Matchbox kit???   :lol:  That's shaping up very nicely.

Weaver

Quote from: Mossie on April 08, 2015, 06:16:36 AM
Matchbox kit???   :lol:  That's shaping up very nicely.

The Revell 1/76th T-34 I'm using is actually the ex-Matchbox one! You can see inside the floor pan where the original Lesney text and patent info has been scraped off the mold. That's why the longitudinal rib in the middle is offset to one side.

The tracks come from a Matchbox Panther and have been kicking around the house for 30 years....

- Indiana Jones

Hobbes

Quote from: Weaver on April 06, 2015, 07:37:30 AM
I found my box of Minicraft bits, and there's a MUCH better, fully articulated crane in there and a dozer blade!

Do you remember which kit they came from?

Weaver

Quote from: Hobbes on April 08, 2015, 06:57:23 AM
Quote from: Weaver on April 06, 2015, 07:37:30 AM
I found my box of Minicraft bits, and there's a MUCH better, fully articulated crane in there and a dozer blade!

Do you remember which kit they came from?

Sorry, I said Minicraft, I meant Minitanks, i.e. the Roco 1/87th ones. The crane wasn't from a kit, it was an accessory that you bought to fit onto any truck. As far as I know, it's a standard HIAB.

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

Load bed done. There are sixty pieces of Evergreen in this. I resisted the temptation to make the side hinges work...

I'm going to bale on the snow plough and the front jacks: mounting them is too difficult due to the shape of the cab, and I don't have any more messing about time before I have to start painting.

- Indiana Jones

Steel Penguin

:o  weaver that looks amazing!
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

sandiego89

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Supertom

Wait, so we have a 1 Week Group Build and you decide "oh, I think I'll scratchbuild a vehicle bed out of 60 pieces of Evergreen?"

:banghead:
"We can resolve this over tea and fisticuffs!!!"