questions to Matrixone

Started by Allan, April 04, 2015, 02:24:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allan

the RLM greys on the spines of 109s and 190s, did they also continue onto the leading edge of the fin or did they stop at the base of the fin leaving the fin usually completely RLM 76?

and did the grey on the wings and tailplanes meet the fuselage with a sharp straight line or did some of the grey continue onto the fus with a little overspray?

and what is the most logical and trouble-free procedure to paint these aircraft in the two greys and the 76?

it seems to me that, regardless of type of paint used, the best order might be to do the wings (front and back) first, then put tape over them and a strip of tape between the wings (front and back) and the fus, then paint the greys over the spine of the fus, then stick a strip of tape over these grays parallel to the fus and then apply the RLM 76 and then the mottle, leaving the fus tape in place until the mottling is finished

your thoughts, Matrixone?

matrixone

Allan,
A great deal would depend on which factory painted the aircraft and also what part of the war the aircraft was built, mid war fighters were still being painted close to the prescribed patterns as laid down by the RLM. Many late war fighters were built during difficult conditions with decentralized factories producing aircraft parts which were pre-painted before being brought to an aircraft assembly center, sometimes the camouflage paint on the parts did not always match each other and those aircraft had a patchwork look to them so that would really change the look of the camouflage pattern.

Which Fw 190's and Bf 109's are you asking about, if you could let me know the sub types or the period of the war you need the information on I might be able to help.

I found the easiest way to paint Luftwaffe fighters is to paint the wings and fuselage separately, that way I always have a safe place to hang onto the model during painting so I don't leave fingerprints in wet paint. Doing so will leave a sharp edge between the upper and lower camouflage colors at the wing roots...some aircraft had a sharp line there and others were soft sprayed so if that's the case I simply go back over the wing roots and spray on a soft edge.
Check out my build of the Revell Bf 109G-10'Erla', it was painted the same way as described above.

Matrixone