RAF Letter Markings

Started by KJ_Lesnick, April 05, 2015, 06:51:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KJ_Lesnick

I've noticed on the aircraft used in Fighter and Bomber command (WW2 RAF), you'd notice letter set up's like

HW (roundel) R
http://www.mrwallpaper.com/wallpapers/avro-lancaster-bomber.jpg

VR (roundel) A
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cb/Avro_Lancaster_VR-A_flying.jpg

What do they mean?
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

TallEng

The first two normally designate the Sqn and the single letter was the aircraft I'd letter within the Sqn.
If you look around a bit you can normally find out which Sqn was represented by which letter pairs, but beware some Sqn changed there codes several times during the war
VR was assigned too 419sqn RCAF
Look here for a fuller list of who and what http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_RAF_Squadron_Codes:thumbsup:

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

KJ_Lesnick

That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on April 15, 2015, 07:45:50 PM
God that's complicated...

That was part of the intention, to confuse the bad guys.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

If you want something complicated, take a look at German WWII fighter and bomber markings... the British system appears crystal-clear in comparison.  :-\

NARSES2

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on April 16, 2015, 05:15:53 AM
If you want something complicated, take a look at German WWII fighter and bomber markings... the British system appears crystal-clear in comparison.  :-\

Absolutely Dizzy. The RAF system always seemed nice and simple to me (I am British so maybe it's in my DNA  ;D) but I have never got around to understanding the Luftwaffe one. I assume in it's early days in Britain the USAAF used a similar system (either that or it's a huge co-incidence) and then changed when they became so much larger ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 16, 2015, 07:01:56 AM
Absolutely Dizzy. The RAF system always seemed nice and simple to me.

Well, I did not want to formulate it that way, but I totally agree. The British system appears so simple, that the change of codes during the war for the squadrons is only a minor problem. But the German "ideas"...? You have numbers, letters, even color-codes, symbols on the fighters...  :-\

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on April 16, 2015, 11:58:29 PM
But the German "ideas"...? You have numbers, letters, even color-codes, symbols on the fighters...  :-\

But it keeps the Luftwaffe fans busy for AGES! When they're not talking in 'RLM paint nos' that is.....

'JG26's Fw 190s were always painted in 145 on the undersides'

'No, it was 263 with squiggles of 184'

'That was only the Stab flight!'

etc. etc.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on April 16, 2015, 11:58:29 PM
You have numbers, letters, even color-codes, symbols on the fighters...  :-\

Yup. Just as I think I've started to understand the symbols and colour combinations something crops up and I go  :banghead: :banghead:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

LOL, "national heritage", I guess.  ;)

Gondor

I received an email today which advertises this book. I know that KJ_Lesnick usually complains that the rest of us like to suggest books which not only answer the questions posed but are invariably expensive.

Well not in this case!

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

NARSES2

I have something similar in the library from over 20 years ago. Whatever that looks a very good deal for a serious bit of research.

These books always look way to expensive unless you are really into the subject and understand the depth of research required, this is a good price  :thumbsup:

Rick Lowe

Good to see the Wiki page - thanks for posting that link.

I remember a similar series in Airfix Magazine back in the dim, dark ages and was wondering if anyone had done a more accessible version.

Cheers

NARSES2

Now I have a couple of questions re AF Squadron codes from WWII which someone may be able to help me over - and yes I have done a search  :rolleyes:

The list from Wikipedia (link below) is by code. Now I found my 8 Squadron codes but does anyone know of a list by Squadron ? Would have made life easier in this instance and probably in most others.

The other one is a matter of timing. Overseas based squadrons were not issued with new codes after mid 1942'ish ? and that is why you see a lot of aircraft with just one single ID letter.

Now for my Defiant I'm assuming that as a Arabian based aircraft she would have had full codes in early 42 ? If anyone knows for sure I'd be grateful  :thumbsup:

Mossie

Yes, Wikipedia does (on exactly the page you forgot to link to)!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_RAF_squadron_codes

Go to the title bar of the table and click the double arrows to the left of where it says 'Unit'.  Click it once and it sorts in ascending order, again for descending.  It's not perfect as 110 comes between 11 and 12 etc., but it should make it easier to find what your looking for.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.