SUPER SABRE FG.1

Started by kitbasher, April 12, 2015, 01:42:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitbasher

Super Sabre FG.1 XF422 '81', 58 Sqn RAF Wittering 1974:

So I failed to finish my 1WGB Corsair but I think I've just made it to the finishing line in time for the 1 year GB with this one!

Nothing special - a very cheap and cheerful (and frankly rubbish) PM F-100 I've been pottering about with in the margins just to get an RAF Super Sabre out of my system!

Model is OOB other than the bobs (Matchbox generic British 1000 pounders plus SNEBs from an Airfix Hunter that's slowly taking shape.  Colour scheme and markings are from Modeldecal sheet 28 - basically the Super Sabre (and not the Hunter) served with the RAF from the late 50s to the late 70s in a variety of roles, the last of which was as a weapons trainer in 1 Tactical Weapons Unit.

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

sandiego89

Nice!  Especially like the weapons fit and the  "scorched" sections of the aft fuselage- tough to create, but important for an accurate "Hun".

Scale please? 1/72?
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Geoff

kitbasher

Very generous comments gentlemen, thank you.

It is 1/72 and isn't a kit I'd recommend. For a tenner an ESCI F-100 is ideal whiffing or real world material, the Trumpeter kit I guess may be the best buy.  Very much want to build a real world all-green Danish F-100.  

Hardest part of this build was the burnt metal effect but this bit of practice was good to have if I ever get round to a 'real' Hun built.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Weaver

Nice work on the burnt metal, it looks really good.  :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Glenn Gilbertson

That looks really good. Excellent work on the tail discolouration. :thumbsup:

Captain Canada

Love it ! Big fan of that aeroplane, and she looks great in those colours and markings. Love the weapons load as well. Kit looks kind of funny tho, almost like a French bird.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kitbasher

Quote from: Captain Canada on April 14, 2015, 07:30:18 PM
Kit looks kind of funny tho, almost like a French bird.

:cheers:

Well France did operate F-100s and there's a passing resemblance to the Super Mystere, which I always think is like sort of Super Sabre with a sort of Hunter tail and fin/rudder.  And the Super Etendard completes is the missing link in the morphing of the F-100 into the Hunter.  By which I mean F-100, Super Mystere, Super Etendard, Hunter.

ChernayaAkula

Lovely build!  :thumbsup: A British F-100 looks just right.
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

zenrat

Like it.  These always look to me like someone heavy sat on the intake.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Mossie

That's very nice, silk purse from a sows ear and all that.  How'd you go about the exhaust staining?

Quote from: zenrat on April 15, 2015, 03:09:12 AM
Like it.  These always look to me like someone heavy sat on the intake.

Saw one of these at Duxford, the intake looked like it was a hoover attachment.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

kitbasher

Humbrol 56 base coat and then washes of that mixed with brown, red and black.  Originally extended futher forward but I thought it looked a mess and very wrong, but that was the painting as the burnt look cane be much further forward.
Good practice though for a 'real' build, and actu panel lines will be an advantage!  Also needs to be understated next time ( assuming there is one).  But definitely good practice.