Hasegawa 1/20 Ma.K Grosser Hund

Started by MichelC, April 13, 2015, 03:12:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MichelC

Here's my newest build. Complementary to  the Falke and part of the same proejct, this is the Grosser Hund from Hasegawa.

A look into the box:

At close to 200 parts, this is not a small kit. Many sprues, as you can see, in dark gray and dark brown plastic.

This is a well engineered kit and has positionable parts with articulation of the ball-and-socket type. The sockets a cleverly molded is a slightly soft plastic allowing for a joint that is both smooth and tight.

The sprue with the hoses is made of plastic that is even softer and extremely flexible as you can see on the pic.

Also included are 2 cables in soft plastic. With all these different materials this is almost a real multi-media kit!

The size of the instructions sheet gives a good idea as to the kit's complexity. There's as much worth of instructions on the flip side.

The usual Haseg Ma.K color card is also included.

The decal sheet is bigger than I expected, as big as the Falke's.

Despite its complexity I expect this to be a rather fast built as I do not intend to scratch or add anything, strictly OOB.

M

Sticky Fingers

Quote from: MichelCstrictly OOB.

Famous last words... ;D
Have fun Michel, never enough Ma.K.   :thumbsup:

MichelC

First steps!

The fit and engineering is so good there's not a drop of glue on the legs you see here and no tape to keep it together either, just snap-fit.

Extent of motion can be seen here:

M

PS I haven't scratched anything yet! ;D

zenrat

Hmmmmmmm, I reckon Hasegawa may have been studying Bandai Gundam kits before designing this one.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

MichelC

Quote from: zenrat on April 14, 2015, 04:51:12 AM
Hmmmmmmm, I reckon Hasegawa may have been studying Bandai Gundam kits before designing this one.

Never built one of those so wouldn't be able to tell. But it stands to reason that they use a similar approach. So far all's well with the build, going quite fast too. More pics soon.

M

zenrat

Quote from: MichelC on April 14, 2015, 02:08:33 PM

Never built one of those so wouldn't be able to tell. But it stands to reason that they use a similar approach...
M

They're fun, they snap together like this does and the 1/144 HG kits are relatively cheap.  You should try one.  I can only imagine the detail you'd add.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

MichelC

Quote from: zenrat on April 15, 2015, 03:49:27 AM
Quote from: MichelC on April 14, 2015, 02:08:33 PM

Never built one of those so wouldn't be able to tell. But it stands to reason that they use a similar approach...
M

They're fun, they snap together like this does and the 1/144 HG kits are relatively cheap.  You should try one.  I can only imagine the detail you'd add.

Oh, I'm not sure. They seem toylike to me and I just seem to be unable to get into the spirit of it.  :o

M

MichelC

Dry-fit if the main components. The fit is perfect and no problem so far.

All parts have been trimmed and assembly can now start. Painting is not far off.

M

MichelC

Here's an update on the Grosser Hund build.

The guard under the chin broke (of course) and was replaced with a piece of thick wire.

I added lenses to the upper sensors from clear sprue.

The exhausts were given some 3D effect by adding some tubing.

Never had so many sub-assies to be painted before assembly! So far the build is mainly sanding practice and an exercise in organizing skill. LOL

M

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

MichelC

Thanks Narses2!

I painted the engine, shoulder mount and missile heads as these had to be in place and masked before laying down the base coat.

Captain Canada

Wow....is that ever a lot of sub assemblies ! Excellent stuff, sure looks like a fun build !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

MichelC

Hi Captain Canada, the build's fun yes, but mostly work! With so many small parts the total length of seams to sand and surface to paint is amazingly larger than it appears!

The real fun part will be the weathering. This is what I will be using:

Mecha weathered by Mig Jimenez himself!

M

Captain Canada

That looks like an excellent tutorial....lots of progress pics for us that want to learn please !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?