Both Floating and flapping things

Started by Bungle, April 17, 2015, 01:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bungle

The 1 Week Group build gave me time to finish off a few projects while waiting for things to dry. These have all been started this year but only just finished. I decided to do some float planes ... well why not.

So my first addition is the venerable Grumman J2F Duck. My inspiration was from Wikipedia and an image on their of a US Coast Guard Duck....

My version couldn't be American so how about their near neighbours Mexico ?

The kit is the Airfix model straight from the box. Wing rigging is very fine florists wire and the aerial lines are elasticated knicker repair thread.

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Julius Henry Marx (Groucho)

Bungle

Next up is the Vought OS2U Kingfisher. Now the inspiration for this was a drawing of the Australian Antartic research aircraft....

Nice and bright yellow but to honest a bit boring so back to my friend Mr Google and I stumbled across a Swiss Fiesler Storch...

Yellow and Red that's better but hang on no Swiss decals !  :banghead:

But then..... behold Austrian Search and Rescue Kingfisher on Lake Achensee...

The kit is again the Airfix kit, built straight out of the box.

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Julius Henry Marx (Groucho)

PR19_Kit

A couple of my favourite kits, well built and in super paint schemes, love 'em!  :thumbsup: :bow:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Bungle

The last one was meant to float. My intentions were for it to be the third of a trio but unfortunately when cleaning up one of the resin wing floats it pinged off the table to be swallowed without trace by the carpet monster. It's beyond belief ... this wasn't a small part but search high and low and couldn't find the damn thing so floats floated a way and wheels were wheeled into position.

Inspiration ... seeing loads of Kingfishers in grey... here we have an Argentine Curtiss SOC3 Seamew boy is it ugly !

Kit is the Vami Resin - I tried to sell it three times on EvilBay but no one bought it - I can see why. Heavy pin holed resin - loads of filler. Three tone grey finish didn't really work.

ericr

lovely topics indeed, and beautiful variations of liveries :
the notion of a rescue seaplane for a lake is quite conceptual  ;D

PR19_Kit

Quote from: ericr on April 17, 2015, 02:43:46 AM

lovely topics indeed, and beautiful variations of liveries :

I'm sure it had a secondary anti-submarine task as well............  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Three lovely models all worthy of Wiffies  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Captain Canada

What a collection !

Love the Duck. I was just looking at my kit last night and wondering what could be done with it. Think I'll put it back now !  :thumbsup: Love all the colours on this one, I think you nailed it. Everything stands out, the green, the cheat line on the float, the antennae, the markings...great, great whif.

The Kingfisher is another beauty. Love how it looks, the red trim really sets it off. I had never seen that pic of the yellow one, looks greta like that, and defo an idea for future consideration.

Nice to see a Seamew on here as well. Another kit I was pondering ( albeit a Sword kit at my LHS the other day ) I've always like the brutish look of this one. I think you really nailed it.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Tophe

Congratulations for these pleasant seaplane models :thumbsup:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

martinbayer

Quote from: ericr on April 17, 2015, 02:43:46 AM

Depends on the size of the lake...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_lakes_by_area

Martin
Would be marching to the beat of his own drum, if he didn't detest marching to any drumbeat at all so much.