F3D-3 Skyknight

Started by MartG, April 21, 2015, 03:51:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartG

So you are the US Navy.

Your F6D Fleet Defense Interceptor has just been cancelled, but you urgently need something to protect your fleet from air attack.

You have the Eagle missiles and fire control from the cancelled program, and you have a number of F3D Skyknight airframes.......

OK, the Skyknight can only carry two of the big missiles, but two is better than none....

F3D-3

1/72 Matchbox kit, with missiles from a YF-12A. I originally posted this model a few years ago, but recently took some better pictures of it :)
Murphy's 1st Law - An object at rest will be in the wrong place
Murphy's 2nd Law - An object in motion will be going in the wrong direction
Murphy's 3rd Law - For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction

sandiego89

Looks great, i'm a sucker for big AAM's. 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Dizzyfugu

Nice! The F3D is an overlooked aircraft, great to see (a whiffed) one.  :thumbsup:

DogfighterZen

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on April 21, 2015, 11:42:48 PM
Nice! The F3D is an overlooked aircraft, great to see (a whiffed) one.  :thumbsup:

I totally agree, i once had an idea of trying to get a tear drop style canopy, single seat and swept wing on that... may have a go at it one of these days!
BTW, your F3D looks real good, i like the blue, suits well..:thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Dizzyfugu

I also have a "surplus" F3D from Matchbox in the pile - came with one of the three sprues double, so it's rather incomplete and lacks the wings... but I have a weird idea for what's left over. But will need some courage to take my idea to the hardware stage, even though it will be  ...interesting.  ;)

NARSES2

Now that is a nice piece of workmanship and a great idea
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

DogfighterZen

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on April 22, 2015, 06:28:19 AM
I also have a "surplus" F3D from Matchbox in the pile - came with one of the three sprues double, so it's rather incomplete and lacks the wings... but I have a weird idea for what's left over. But will need some courage to take my idea to the hardware stage, even though it will be  ...interesting.  ;)

Hum... no wings? Got me interested!  :thumbsup: Wonder what kind of wing you're going to use... I'll just wait around to see! :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

kitbasher

What about the tailplane?
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter