Group Builds - suggestions please

Started by NARSES2, April 23, 2015, 07:09:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

With the success of the 2015 One Week GB (thanks to those who took part and for Kitbasher for doing the honours) I thought we might consider a couple more GB's in 2015 - 2 or 3 to be decided. The One Week GB, again with Kitbasher at the helm will return in 2016 at about the same time of year.

Now in order to have GB's we need subjects. We also need volunteers to moderate them. The two go together and you can't have one without the other.

Now subjects are easy. We have a two week period where people can use this thread to post those subjects which they would like to see considered for 2015 GB's. We then have a short period where I consolidate the list, especially where there are very similar ones, and clarify anything that needs it. Then we have a vote on it. Top 3 get to go in 2015. Simples, as the Meerkat's say.

Hoping to kick the first one off mid May. That may be to optimistic so don't take it as set in stone but basically the 3 GB's would be May-Aug ; Sept-Nov ; Dec-Mar and then we are back to the One Week GB. All timings approximate.

The problem WILL be Moderators. Without them you don't have GB's. It's not a lot of work, indeed nothing more then a little nipping around ankles and gentle chivvying like a retired sheepdog keeping its hand in. You may need to clarify rules but not if we get them right in the first place (famous last words  :banghead:). So if you feel like volunteering put your name down in this thread as well.

Thank you and I will kick of the nomination process below

Chris

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

As promised here' my 3 possibles for a 2015 GB. You are not restricted to 3 suggestions

Cold War GB (we can argue for ever over what that means  :rolleyes:)
Battle of Britain GB - it is the 75th
Civilianise/Militarise it. Military gear to civilian use and civilian gear to military use
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

Science Fiction theme - "things" that belong between the stars. Tie Fighters you've never seen before, converted Enterprises, scratched space ships or stations, mecha...
Africarama - I remember that this was a favored topic some time ago (after the Aussierama and Asiarama 1-Year-GBs), and that continent has serious whiffing potential.
Yellow - Sick idea, but this was a theme at spaceshipmodelers.com some time ago that spawned weird things. And all were... yellow;)

"Battle of Britain" sounds good for me for this year (one-week-GB?). The De-Militarize-It theme is also a neat idea for a longer period.  :thumbsup:

kitbasher

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 23, 2015, 07:12:42 AM
As promised here' my 3 possibles for a 2015 GB. You are not restricted to 3 suggestions

Cold War GB (we can argue for ever over what that means  :rolleyes:)
Battle of Britain GB - it is the 75th
Civilianise/Militarise it. Military gear to civilian use and civilian gear to military use

BoB75GB and civilianise/militarise get my vote.

I like the idea of the yellow GB but only if it is Coldplay-free.

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Spey_Phantom

the Gerry Anderson GB also was a popular topic  :mellow:
a future combat GB would also be good (using the likes of the F-22, PAK-FA, RAH-66 Commanche,....)

but i do like the idea of a Cold War GB or Demilirarise/militarise GB  :thumbsup:
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Mossie

I'm particularly keen on the sci-fi and civvy-military builds.  I would definitely take part in a BoB build too and I'm sure I could think up several Cold War builds.

I'll think on some subjects, but my tastes seem to be pretty much covered already.

I might even be persuaded to mod one.  ($&£%, I said that out loud..... :blink:)
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

McColm

Captured war aircraft, either German or allied aircraft that has been captured and flown/Whiffed.
Training aircraft-props, jets, multi-engines.
Mobile command centers-real world or in Whiffland.
TV or film Police/Cop shows-vehicles, real world or Whiffed based.
Water bombers/forest fire aircraft, vehicles or ships/submarines/hovercraft.

kitbasher

Some years ago we did 'piston perfection', so that could be revived but limited to jet and turboprop types becoming piston-powered.

A mirror image theme for a GB could be to jetify/turbopropify piston types.

Or make helicopters out of aeroplanes and vice versa.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

sandiego89

I offer for consideration:

"Bad Idea GB": Always polled well in previous proposals.  Wide open with entires from subtle to absurd. Outclassed systems pressed into service, doomed to failure, wacky: Close air support blimp, A Short Seamew "fighter", an XB-70 bizjet, a Vespa with a blown V-8.....  

"Oh Snap! GB": Any subject, but the kit basis must be from a Snap together kit.  C'mon we all have one (or many) in the stash, or a old favorite we did in our early modeling days.  Extra consideration given for older, really basic kits. Glue allowed...

I do like the swords/plowshares idea.

I second Mossies quasi self-nomination  ;)

Dave- "sandiego89"  

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

McColm

The old Matchbox kits had multi-coloured parts, a collection of built kits without paint or decals.

Ed S

How about a "Creative Junk" GB. The main part of the model has to come from something that is not a kit part. (e.g. soda bottles as fuselages, computer mouse as hover tank,...) Kit parts can be used for details (Landing gear, armaments, gun turrets, etc.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Cobra

how about a Rescue/Emergency Services Group Build? show some Love to the Folks Who Respond to the Call For Help Whenever,Whereever it happens. My Dad used to be a Firefighter, so this is kinda personal for me. Dan

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: Cobra on April 23, 2015, 08:45:06 PM
how about a Rescue/Emergency Services Group Build?

That's a nice one, too - and I'd include police or other civil services, just to add variety.
That could even motivate me to revive an old mecha project I have in the back of my mind...   :wacko:

BTW: another concept could be a basic kit that everyone uses - and see what becomes of it, with at least 50% of the original parts used (or the main donator recognizable). Will be hard to settle upon a kit/starting point, though - but could be something like "Spitfire Mutations"?

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: Flyer on April 23, 2015, 11:42:19 PM
Quote from: Ed S on April 23, 2015, 08:36:03 PM
How about a "Creative Junk" GB. The main part of the model has to come from something that is not a kit part. (e.g. soda bottles as fuselages, computer mouse as hover tank,...) Kit parts can be used for details (Landing gear, armaments, gun turrets, etc.

Ed

That sounds good. :thumbsup:

That's a funny concept, too - on another forum I am active in was a "Ma.K. Ping Pong Ball GB".

ericr

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on April 23, 2015, 07:21:27 AM

Yellow - Sick idea, but this was a theme at spaceshipmodelers.com some time ago that spawned weird things. And all were... yellow;)

hmmm, that's attractive to me ...  ;D