Group Builds - suggestions please

Started by NARSES2, April 23, 2015, 07:09:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

My 2c.

Parts box GB.  Use only what you already have - no buying stuff.  Hard to police though.

It'll never fly GB.  Not sure what this would mean but I like the title.

Chopper GB.  No rules other than the final product must be a whif with at least 1 rotary wing.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

ericr

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on April 23, 2015, 11:53:50 PM
Quote from: Flyer on April 23, 2015, 11:42:19 PM
Quote from: Ed S on April 23, 2015, 08:36:03 PM
How about a "Creative Junk" GB. The main part of the model has to come from something that is not a kit part. (e.g. soda bottles as fuselages, computer mouse as hover tank,...) Kit parts can be used for details (Landing gear, armaments, gun turrets, etc.

Ed

That sounds good. :thumbsup:

That's a funny concept, too - on another forum I am active in was a "Ma.K. Ping Pong Ball GB".

aha, that does sound attractive too ...  :rolleyes:

ericr

what about :

building some of the ideas from Tophe's threads (about twin-booms, P-51, or other ...)
I often think that some of his designs are buildable, and would look tremendous.

Actually I am currently building one ...  ;D

ericr

Quote from: Flyer on April 24, 2015, 03:51:17 AM
Quote from: ericr on April 24, 2015, 02:46:39 AM
what about :

building some of the ideas from Tophe's threads (about twin-booms, P-51, or other ...)
I often think that some of his designs are buildable, and would look tremendous.

Actually I am currently building one ...  ;D

I'd have a go at that one too, but I wouldn't buy any kits for it, I'd try scratching one of his designs from sheet and putty. :thumbsup:

it would certainly be necessary  ;D
but for some of them, a Hasegawa eggplane P-51 could be useful

and some of the P-38 variations can make use of a simple kit

The Wooksta!

75th Anniversary of the Battle of Britain.  Plenty mileage there.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Glenn Gilbertson

75th Anniversary of the Battle of Britain and Cold War sound good to me.

Nick

I like the African theme, there's lots to choose from.  :thumbsup:

Part - built kit clear out. A chance or excuse to finish those uncompleted models in your stash.

In the Navy! Anything that you think should have served in a naval role.

kitbasher

Quote from: zenrat on April 24, 2015, 02:44:28 AM
Parts box GB.  Use only what you already have - no buying stuff.  Hard to police though.

We did a 'styrene junkyard' GB some years ago (http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/board,58.0.html), is that the sort of thing you have in mind?

Also a general though - if GBs are resurrected should the winner automatically be nominated for a Whiffie?
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

kerick

Combine parts box with creative junk. Kit parts you have on hand plus at least one non kit/found item part included. Up to all found items with at least one kit part included.

I like the militarise it/civilianise it, Rescue/Emergency services, BoB75GB or Mak ping pong ball GB.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

zenrat

Quote from: kitbasher on April 25, 2015, 09:56:03 AM

We did a 'styrene junkyard' GB some years ago (http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/board,58.0.html), is that the sort of thing you have in mind?...

Similar, though I wouldn't allow any parts from un-built kits - just what had already been relegated to the parts box.  As I said, VERY hard to police.

I had another excellent idea earlier today but i'm bu**ered if I can remember what it was.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on April 26, 2015, 03:21:28 AM
Quote from: kitbasher on April 25, 2015, 09:56:03 AM
Parts box GB.  Use only what you already have - no buying stuff.  Hard to police though.

We did a 'styrene junkyard' GB some years ago (http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/board,58.0.html), is that the sort of thing you have in mind?...

Similar, though I wouldn't allow any parts from un-built kits - just what had already been relegated to the parts box.  As I said, VERY hard to police.

I had another excellent idea earlier today but i'm bu**ered if I can remember what it was.

Yup a junkyard GB is very difficult to Moderate and it would also exclude a lot of members so I think it's very difficult to do as a formal GB - maybe ideal candidate for a Theme Build however ?

Forgetting ideas ? Notepad - I always have one handy. Habit I picked up at work. Once I write something down I remember it. That's why I was good at exams  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

sandiego89

I do like the militarize><civilianize it idea, in fact I have the suitable kit and idea in the stash, it's gonna be big, muwahhaaahahhaa.  

Yellow intrigues me....

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

kerick

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Weaver

The Make It Faster GB. Take any vehicle and modify it to increase it's speed. Obviously I was thinking about military aircraft (I make a note in my diary on the rare occasions that I'm not thinking about military aircraft...) but it would work just as well for land vehicles and ships as well. Not limited to military stuff either: modifed cars, speedboats etc....
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Weaver

The Spirit of '67 GB. Take any vehicle and "hippy-ize" it. Wild psychadelic paint job of course, plus music, sound, lights: I'm thinking about a certain International Harvester school bus here of course... ;) ). It could be "of it's time", e.g. John Lennon's tank or The Merry Pranksters' Dakota, or it could be commemorative for an anniversary (the 50th is coming up and the bicentennial in 2167 would be interesting as a parody of the Spirit of '76).

Side note: I just picked up my book about the Merry Prankster's famous road trip in '64 and was confused by the introduction which starts something like "twenty-five years ago? Already? That's crazy man....". Then I realised that the book is twenty-five years old.... :-\

Weaver
Feeling old
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones