Seaknight & M16, red : primary seaplanes

Started by ericr, April 23, 2015, 01:37:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheChronicOne

Right on!!!  With all them windows it makes a perfect island hopping pleasure craft!
-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

At least the passengers don't have to wind the landing gear up by hand, as was de riguer for 'air experience' riders in RAG Ansons!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Anson suits floats  :thumbsup:

And yes the Special Hobby kit is a very tricky and fiddly build, I'm impressed.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 13, 2017, 06:44:43 AM
At least the passengers don't have to wind the landing gear up by hand, as was de riguer for 'air experience' riders in RAG Ansons!

The mid flight stretch? Wait.. no... that doesn't make sense... the begging and end of flight stretch.  ;D

Could you imagine if you asked passengers these days to do the slightest thing like that?  :o 
-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

Quote from: TheChronicOne on October 13, 2017, 06:58:27 AM

The mid flight stretch? Wait.. no... that doesn't make sense... the begging and end of flight stretch.  ;D

Could you imagine if you asked passengers these days to do the slightest thing like that?  :o

As cadets we weren't really 'passengers' in the accepted sense of the word and had to earn our flight time.

As it took 19 turns of the handle  (maybe 29, it was a LONG time ago!) to get the wheels up, it was always the Cadet's job. Of course if it was a short flight you had to start winding them back down almost as soon as you'd wound them up!  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Were both legs retracted by the same wheel ? Or were they independent Kit ?

Also why not have them simply drop after being unlocked ? Then lock them again
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on October 13, 2017, 07:24:58 AM
Were both legs retracted by the same wheel ? Or were they independent Kit ?

Also why not have them simply drop after being unlocked ? Then lock them again

Yes, it was on the RH side of the fuselage, near the wing root IIRC, and wound both wheels up at once.

It was far beyond Avro's thinking to make it easy to get them down again though, it took just as much work.

Was the Anson designed by Roy Chadwick? If so, it wasn't one of his better ideas............

Regards
Kit

ericr

all this being of course duly solved by the floats, which are not to be retracted anyway
;)

PR19_Kit

Quote from: ericr on October 13, 2017, 12:51:53 PM

all this being of course duly solved by the floats, which are not to be retracted anyway
;)

Exactly my point, yes.............  :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 13, 2017, 07:07:21 AM

As cadets we weren't really 'passengers' in the accepted sense of the word and had to earn our flight time.

As it took 19 turns of the handle  (maybe 29, it was a LONG time ago!) to get the wheels up, it was always the Cadet's job. Of course if it was a short flight you had to start winding them back down almost as soon as you'd wound them up!  :banghead:

;D

I guess in my mind I was picturing soldiers snoozing their life away comfy in the back of a C-5. Not quite the same as y'alls cadets' situation now that ya mention it! How'd y'all determine who had to crank the thing? Whoever was seated closest?  ;D 
-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 13, 2017, 08:53:54 AM
...Was the Anson designed by Roy Chadwick? If so, it wasn't one of his better ideas............

Google says yes, it was.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: TheChronicOne on October 13, 2017, 04:53:20 PM

;D

I guess in my mind I was picturing soldiers snoozing their life away comfy in the back of a C-5. Not quite the same as y'alls cadets' situation now that ya mention it! How'd y'all determine who had to crank the thing? Whoever was seated closest?  ;D

Yes, but he was usually the one who HADN'T done it before and didn't understand why the others were all sat as far away from the handle as possible!

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Quote from: TheChronicOne on October 13, 2017, 04:53:20 PM

;D

I can imagine comfy in the back of an old  Citroen C5 I used to drive (wonderful Citroen suspension and all that)  but can you really get comfy in the back of a Lockheed C5???......I'd have thought that it might be a little noisy/bumpy/hard seated      (To misquote Oscar Wilde"  If that's how Uncle Sam treats his soldiers he doesn't deserve to have any")
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Rheged on October 14, 2017, 01:44:38 AM

I can imagine comfy in the back of an old  Citroen C5 I used to drive (wonderful Citroen suspension and all that)  but can you really get comfy in the back of a Lockheed C5???......I'd have thought that it might be a little noisy/bumpy/hard seated      (To misquote Oscar Wilde"  If that's how Uncle Sam treats his soldiers he doesn't deserve to have any")

Doesn't the C-5 have a special pax area fore and aft of the wing, but at high level, not down in the hold?

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 14, 2017, 01:01:17 AM

Yes, but he was usually the one who HADN'T done it before and didn't understand why the others were all sat as far away from the handle as possible!

;D  That's hilarious. I guarantee I would have been the one to sit right on down thinking I was just lucky to find an open seat.

Quote from: Rheged on October 14, 2017, 01:44:38 AM

Probably not as nice as riding on on an A 380 or Dreamliner AHEM, LOVELINER, or anything but when they load up the passenger seating pallets and ferry troops, it looks pretty accommodating and a giant C-5 at altitude is going to be smooth as ice! In fact, Lockheed try to sell the thing off as an Airliner and Entex even made a kit of it in PAN AM livery.  ;D ;D

This is probably from the inside of a C-17 but it wouldn't be much different looking... I've seen photos of what I guess were probably brass or VIPs or something cruisning in one wear civvie clothes and making use of wide open spaces because it wasn't fully loaded at the time. As if they were in there having a slumber party or something! 

consider the lack of screaming kids, unruly pre-teens, etc and the flight on the C-5 could very well be better than commercial air!  :o ;D
-Sprues McDuck-