DHC Bush Planes: Beaver, Otter and Twin Otter

Started by Mossie, April 24, 2015, 07:19:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossie

Picked up a Revell Twotter the other day and wondering what to do with it.  Had a few thoughts, British Army CASTOR alternative to the BN Defender and a light maritime patrol aircraft.  A quick Google search show's that the MPA is being considered.  I could see this with floats for a small island nation.
http://www.casr.ca/ai-viking-guardian-400.htm

Twin Beaver, take an Otter and add two smaller piston engines on the wings for an alternative DHC-3.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

kitnut617

Quote from: Mossie on April 24, 2015, 07:19:54 AM

Twin Beaver, take an Otter and add two smaller piston engines on the wings for an alternative DHC-3.

Like this idea, astazous from the skyvan maybe. As the Beaver is quite a bit smaller than an Otter, finding a nose cone might be a bit of a problem -- although the nose cone from a Matchbox Canberra PR.9 might work
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

maxmwill

Twin 2800s, 3350s, or even 4360s?

Or, and this will take some imagination, twin Lycoming 7755s, or if you really want to go hog wild, Napier Nomads.

Weaver

Alternative Twin Otter: fit a single Otter with a solid nose (spare one from the Twotter kit maybe?) and the twin, nose-mounted engines from the Dornier Do.28 Skyservant.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Mossie

Tri-Otter, (Tritter?), competitor to the Trisander.

Biplane Otter (Bipper, or maybe Dipper?), western equivalent of the An-2.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

jcf

Quote from: Mossie on April 24, 2015, 10:22:01 AM
Tri-Otter, (Tritter?), competitor to the Trisander.

Biplane Otter (Bipper, or maybe Dipper?), western equivalent of the An-2.

With reverse stagger ala the Beech Model 24.  ;D

zenrat

Tri-Otter, (Tritter?), competitor to the Trisander...

Surely a Trotter?
Two versions, the Del-Boy and the Rodney...
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on April 24, 2015, 08:51:15 PM

Surely a Trotter?

It'd have three wheels of course............  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Martin H

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 25, 2015, 12:27:59 AM
Quote from: zenrat on April 24, 2015, 08:51:15 PM
Surely a Trotter?

It'd have three wheels of course............  ;D

And painted a dirty shade of yellow as factory standard.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Logan Hartke

Has anyone tried "back dating" a Twin Otter to the 1950s maybe with R-985s from a Beech 18 or Grumman Goose?

Cheers,

Logan

Mossie

Single Twin Otter.  Larger turboprop in the nose, to reduce maintenance requirements.  It'd look a lot like Turbo Otter, the nose could probably be shorter as you wouldn't have the balance issues.

Mossie

Found something along the same lines on Secret Projects:
https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/bac-beaver-aircraft-canada.2697/#post-21807

Beaver Aircraft Canada Super Otter.  Looks a lot like a single engined twin Otter, but it's a twin with a Soloy Dual Pac driving a single prop.

Another design, with an Otter fuselage.

Mossie

Next-Gen Turbo Beaver from the same company, with Twotter style tail:

Old and new superimposed:

kitnut617

Simon, Lift Here Models actually do a 1/72 kit of that Turbo-Beaver

And Khee-Kha Productions do a turbo-Otter conversion in 1/72

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike