Handley Page C-10A Jetstream

Started by JayBee, April 24, 2015, 03:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayBee

This model was started, at least in it's initial incarnation, way back in 1969 when Airfix first released the Jetstream kit.
I really wanted to do the Jetsream in SEA camouflage.
So I got the kit built it and started to paint it using the then revolutionary Humbrol Authentics range.
Not having an airbrush, heck in those days I did not even know what the word meant, nor that they even existed, so it was brush painting. The result was horrendous.
The model ended in the bin.
You are all, I am sure, aware how thoughts never leave you and have a way of lurking in the darkest recesses of your mind until they have that chance to leap out again and grab you by the throat.
That is what happened here.
I can not remember where or when I got another Airfix Jetstream, but since then I have acquired two more.
The first kit was started and is the subject of this thread, that nasty old mind not forgetting.
The second one was started later and was finished first, see it here:
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,37771.0.html

The third one I have a cunning plan for it.

As this was built essentially OOB there is very little to show you of the build.
The only bit is the crew figures.
I wanted the crew to be wearing baseball caps, as this seemed to look right, but where do you get 1/72 crew wearing baseball caps. Not easy.
I eventually found Caesar Minatures, Sportsman set III which is all baseball players. The only slight problem is that they are in soft plastic but that can be overcome.

Here is the result

... and here is the story :

In order to improve sales prospects in the United States, the fifth Handley Page Jetstream prototype was fitted with the US-built Garrett AiResearch TPE-331 in place of the French Astazou.

Changing to the US-built engine was enough to allow the US Air Force to consider the design. They initially placed an order for 11, fitted with a cargo door and accommodation for 12 passengers or 6 stretcher cases, to be known as the C-10A. Many more were to follow
The first C-10A's entered service in late 1969 and were to serve the American military faithfully for many years, and despite a gradual reduction in fleet size they were still to be seen world wide in 2015.

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

comrade harps

I love the Saigon Taxi bit. Well done.  :thumbsup:
Whatever.

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

You tend to forget how good looking the Jetstream was, and in that scheme it REALLY looks great Jim, nice one.  :thumbsup: :bow:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

Good stuff (again)!  As Kit says, the Jetstream is a good looking aircraft - especially the Garrett-engined ones.  :thumbsup:
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

NARSES2

It does look good in that scheme  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitnut617

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Glenn Gilbertson

Gondor

My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Captain Canada

Now that is cool ! Looks right at home in those colours. Great work on the pilots as well !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Scooterman

DogfighterZen

Yep, that looks good! The cap wearing pilots are great!  :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

McColm

Army of One

Great looking build.....love it in that scheme..........i wanted to get one at MK show but the ones i found were silly money.....
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!