HawkerTyphoon FR.1c

Started by TallEng, April 29, 2015, 08:04:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TallEng

This was my attempt at the one week build GB ;D I didn't quite make the one week bit....
So here it is.
FR Typhoons
The use of the Hawker Typhoon As a reconnaissance mount is a little known and not well documented part of the history of the  Typhoon. The conversion came in three types, the FR.1b which was the installation of a single F.24 oblique camera in the port inboard cannon bay, the PR.1b which was the installation of a single F.24 oblique camera and a pair of F.24 vertical cameras in the port inboard cannon bay. The modification involved the removal of the corresponding starboard inboard cannon so as to keep recoil forces of the cannon balanced. The predominant conversion was the FR.1b version, with only a limited number of PR.1b variants being completed and used.
An even less well known version, the FR.1c was produced taking into account the lessons learned from the FR.1b and PR.1b and was only used briefly in India with 34Sqn. The FR.1c was fitted with either a F24/14 inch or a FR24/8 inch oblique camera in the rear fuselage. To reduce the airframe vibrations, which were one of the complaints from the earlier versions, the cameras were mounted on special "Vibram"(tm) mounts; the other main complaint; the lack of range was addressed by fitting drop tanks.

Hawker Typhoon TR957 'N' No.34 Squadron Royal Air Force South East Asia Command, Palel Airfield, Imphal, India, November 1945.

For those of you wondering, the SEAC roundels are from Freightdog :thumbsup:
The rest of the markings are from the Airfix Hurricane, and they almost fit straight out
Of the box ;D
One point to note is that TacR aircraft in the SEAC quite often didn't have the white theater bands
On top of the wings as it was felt it compromised the camouflage too much at low level above the
Jungle (that bits true  :thumbsup: it's noted in 'Eyes for the Phoenix') which is all about PR operations
In South-East Asia 1941-1945 another interesting read  :thumbsup:
Regards
Keith ;D
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

Rick Lowe

Nice work. We don't often see a SEAC Typhoon.

Rick

kitbasher

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

tc2324

Quote from: Rick Lowe on April 29, 2015, 11:35:30 AM
Nice work. We don't often see a SEAC Typhoon.

Rick

IIRC only 3 Tiffies got as far as Egypt for trials. Don`t think any went any further east than that.

Great looking Typhoon and well suited to those colours.  :thumbsup:
74 `Tiger` Sqn Association Webmaster

Tiger, Tiger!

kitnut617

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

I like that. My SEAC Tiffies was bomb armed and had the white bands. I wasn't aware of the fact that some aircraft didn't carry them, so thanks for that  :thumbsup:

Somewhere I have a resin conversion set for a PR Typhoon. Plan was to be real world build, have to look for it
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: kitnut617 on April 29, 2015, 05:15:28 PM
I have to agree, the camo suits it well

Second that. Green and Brown suits the Tiffy well.  :thumbsup:

zenrat

FR?

<puts on best Sarf Larndn accent> Foto Recconnersnce?  ;D
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

TallEng

Nah mate! ;D
FR = Fighter reconnaissance. With guns
PR = Photo reconnaissance. Show guns

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

kitbasher

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

comrade harps

Really nice and well researched.  :cheers:
Whatever.

Captain Canada

What a beauty. Looks perfect in those colours and markings. Love the Typhoon and this really does it justice. Nice work !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on May 01, 2015, 04:08:33 AM
FR?

<puts on best Sarf Larndn accent> Foto Recconnersnce?  ;D

My old English master has just turned over in his grave. We once had a wonderfull 30mins together with him trying to get me to understand that I was getting the "poem" "firty fousand sparrers on a speckled sparrer's coat" wrong. Never could understand what his problem was ?  The part in the school play was meant to be a rough, common soldier so why go for enunciation ?  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on May 12, 2015, 02:10:12 AM

My old English master has just turned over in his grave. We once had a wonderfull 30mins together with him trying to get me to understand that I was getting the "poem" "firty fousand sparrers on a speckled sparrer's coat" wrong. Never could understand what his problem was ?  The part in the school play was meant to be a rough, common soldier so why go for enunciation ?  ;D

It's 'FARSAND', not 'fousand'!!!  ;D

I'm from Croydon too.........  :lol:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit