A possible whif on the Bronco

Started by maxmwill, May 04, 2015, 08:18:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxmwill

Like many modellers, I tend to peruse old magazines for inspiration and possible subjects or future modeling.

In one such magazine, the Oct., 1965 issue of Air Pictorial, on page 343, at the bottom, are a couple photos of the OV10A Bronco. While this is, in and of itself, may have been the subject of one or more possible whiffs(at least I'd like to think that there were), above the photos is a 3 view line drawing of the Bronco. And, in addition to the lines of the flying machine itself, there are broken lines of the addition of floats, along with drop tanks(or 750 pound iron bombs). This last is what has captured my interest.

An OV10 Float Plane.

Now I'm starting to consider this, and things might be getting a tad interesting.

PR19_Kit

Have a search around here, it's already been mentioned at least once and some drawings posted too IIRC.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

jcf

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 04, 2015, 08:36:17 AM
Have a search around here, it's already been mentioned at least once and some drawings posted too IIRC.

Indeed, third post of the OV-10 thread.  ;)

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,11482.msg157319.html#msg157319

Funny what comes up when one actually uses the freakin' search function.  :banghead:

kerick

Bronco on floats would have been really interesting.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Ed S

It's been built too. This is one I did years ago. I think I posted the photos shortly after I joined the forum back in 2008.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

ericr

Quote from: Ed S on May 04, 2015, 07:22:43 PM
It's been built too. This is one I did years ago. I think I posted the photos shortly after I joined the forum back in 2008.

Ed

I did a few too, in red yellow and blue (the latter with a central float) :

Captain Canada

Mmmm...Bronco's. Love the one with the center float !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

ericr

Quote from: Captain Canada on May 05, 2015, 03:28:04 AM
Mmmm...Bronco's. Love the one with the center float !

:cheers:

thanks, it is the last one I did : it took time to dare the central float  :lol:
but with the two auxiliaries it does stand (or float) nicely

and for this one I used the Bronco with a rear window (the german version)

PR19_Kit

Quote from: ericr on May 05, 2015, 03:56:40 AM

Which kit did you use for that please ericr? I've never seen one with the rear window enclosed.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

ericr

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 05, 2015, 04:05:14 AM
Quote from: ericr on May 05, 2015, 03:56:40 AM

Which kit did you use for that please ericr? I've never seen one with the rear window enclosed.

aha  ;D it is indeed a peculiarity, raising interest, and a bit rare : it is by Revell, the OV-10B : it can be seen here :

with even the instructions showing the rear window : the kit is quite old and basic, but that window makes the difference :

PR19_Kit

Thanks for that ericr, I didn't know that kit existed.  :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

Tophe

Wonderful batch of twin-boom floatplanes, thanks! I may try to add a raw Bronco flying boat transformed photograph, also... (I will see)
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

scooter

And then there are these I just mocked up-

v1

v2

I think v2 is more balanced, but like my Sea Provider, not quite sure... :unsure:
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Tophe

And here is, imperfect, what a Bronco flying boat could look like (from ericr basis):
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

kitnut617

Quote from: scooter on May 05, 2015, 10:00:44 AM

v2

I think v2 is more balanced, but like my Sea Provider, not quite sure... :unsure:

Actually v2 is close to where I'd have it too Scoot', but if you figure out where the main u/c wheel is, then place the step in the float just on the forward side of the wheel, you'd have it almost perfect.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike