Mosquito Shark's Mouth Query

Started by Cobra, May 04, 2015, 08:24:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cobra

Hey guys, i was Doing some thinking when a Question Hit Me,and I Don't Mean like Mike Tyson :lol: Did The De Havilland Mosquito Ever have a Shark's Mouth Painted on it? Wasn't sure, but i thought I'd Ask the experts from the UK! kinda Curious and was Thinking if i got a Mosquito, I'd use a Shark's mouth on but Wasn't sure if it would Work. What Say You? Thanks for Looking. Dan

Army of One

Dan......can't  recall ever seeing one with that marking on it.......but then i said that about the Typhoon and then one popped up.....i think the fighter version of the Mosquito would look great with one......along the lines of the Bf110 of ZG76.....i think it was that Geschwader.......
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

JayBee

The only known use of a Sharkmouth on a Mosquito was on a civilian, post war example.
This is from "The De Havilland Mosquito" by M J Hardy and the photo is creditted to the Howard Levy collection.

Jim

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Dizzyfugu

Found this one here:

Supposedly a post-war French specimen (used in the Indo-China conflict, around 1951), and obviously also built as a model:

JayBee

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

PR19_Kit

A Whiffed 112 Sqdn. FBVI would suit perfectly.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

I did an RAAF one years back with a sharkmouth.  It's in John Baxter's book.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

lancer

If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Captain Canada

That's really nice. If you built one with Lanc style nacelles she'd be a natural for shark mouth markings
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

jcf

Quote from: Captain Canada on May 11, 2015, 06:05:23 AM
That's really nice. If you built one with Lanc style nacelles she'd be a natural for shark mouth markings

Why would you want to uglify a Mossie with big-chin Lanc nacelles?  :blink:

PR19_Kit

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on May 12, 2015, 06:39:37 PM

Why would you want to uglify a Mossie with big-chin Lanc nacelles?  :blink:

So you could paint sharkmouths on them?  ;D :lol: ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

Not certain if that's really a good idea...?  :-\

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 12, 2015, 10:54:52 PM
Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on May 12, 2015, 06:39:37 PM

Why would you want to uglify a Mossie with big-chin Lanc nacelles?  :blink:

So you could paint sharkmouths on them?  ;D :lol: ;)

Actually, De Havilland really did put some Lancaster Merlin power eggs (as they were called) onto a Mosquito to do an equivalent test, the Air Ministry wanted all aircraft to use the power egg for standardization and insisted De Havilland do a conversion (they faired over the original leading edge radiator openings).  To much surprise the difference was only around 3mph on overall speed (the power egg version being the slower).  However De Havilland (Jr.) would have none of it ----
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

zenrat

Anyone whiffed a Lanc going the other way?
I.e. by putting 4 mossie nacelles on it and inventing some other way with the cooling.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

kitnut617

Quote from: zenrat on May 14, 2015, 03:51:27 AM
Anyone whiffed a Lanc going the other way?
I.e. by putting 4 mossie nacelles on it and inventing some other way with the cooling.

Well you don't have to invent anything zr, Avro looked at leading edge radiators too and the Shackleton MR4 was to get them.

Like this, I used their design on my Nottingham:

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike