Authorisation for man cave.......

Started by Army of One, May 07, 2015, 02:00:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Army of One

Dear all......firstly, not sure if this is the correct place to put this.....any admin feel free to move please......

Right......SWMBO'd has ok'd me getting a structure in the garden in order to clear the loft n various other parts of the house. I am thinking of a treated Wood shed. I was thinking of some form of polystyrene on the inside between the supports and then plywood covering and a lick of paint. I would also think of sealing around the sloped roof.......would this be enough for a storage area for my boxed/unmade models as well as a workplace.....?  I think it would be better storage than currently in the loft.....if anyone has any ideas/opinions/advice i would welcome it.......i had wanted a bespoke built out of breeze block n rendered building but the cost is to much......
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

Go4fun

It never hurts to figure out just as much room as you'll ever need then add at least 10%.
"Just which planet are you from again"?

Army of One

The shed i have settled on is 6ft deep by 12ft long.......it seems huge.....it will easily take my stash from the loft and various other parts of the house.....and have space for a work bench........It's the conditions of storage I'm  worriec about......
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

Martin H

Quote from: Army of One on May 07, 2015, 02:00:53 PM
.i had wanted a bespoke built out of breeze block n rendered building but the cost is to much......

It would more than likely need planning permission as well if built from Breese block or brick as it would be classed as a permanant building. But the one you have gone for is likely classed as a temporary building. So shouldnt need PP. Might br worth checking with the local planning office just to be safe.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Army of One

OGL....I have enquired with the local council....my breeze block vision would be a go if under a certain size as it has to be a certain percentage of the garden before it needs planning permision....
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

kitnut617

I would take into account rodents getting in amongst the stash ----  and ventilation too, not just for when you're painting, when the sun should happen to come out over there --   ;D  Do you have flooding problems around where you are ?
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Weaver

Temperature control is the main thing, both for you and the stash (reason I don't model in the attic any more).

The polystyrene is a good idea (look at loft insulation in DIY stores). Another thing you might think about is that insualtion material that's like two layers of foil with bubble-wrap in between: you staple/nail it to the rafters underneath the polystyrene.

The point about rats is a good one: snails will also eat cardboard. Best thing is a concrete base and seal the shed to it with silicone or some other mastic. Make sure you can get at all sides of it once the shed is up in order to inspect and repair holes.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

kerick

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Army of One

All valid points, cheers. Climate is from one end to the other...seems to snow every couple of year's......and have the odd heat wave. Hadn't considered rodent/pests but had thought about sealing it with some sort of silicone/mastic......got a builder friend coming around so I'll see what he says....thanks for the input. The fridge thing sounds great but SWMBO'd likes the shed I seen....
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

zenrat

You'll never rodent proof a shed.  They're far too cunning and can get in anywhere.  Better off getting a load of stackable plastic tubs with snap on lids.  Get clear ones and put a list of the contents inside at one end so you can read it through the plastic.
Mind you, rats will chew through anything (i've seen them chew their way into a wheely bin to get at the food scraps inside) if they want what's inside.
Using tubs will also add an extra level of damp proofing.  I don't think you will need to worry about extreme heat.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

With your 'armoury' Hank I'm surprised a rat dare come within a mile or two!  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Mossie

Quote from: zenrat on May 08, 2015, 02:12:40 AM
You'll never rodent proof a shed.  They're far too cunning and can get in anywhere.  Better off getting a load of stackable plastic tubs with snap on lids.  Get clear ones and put a list of the contents inside at one end so you can read it through the plastic.
Mind you, rats will chew through anything (i've seen them chew their way into a wheely bin to get at the food scraps inside) if they want what's inside.
Using tubs will also add an extra level of damp proofing.  I don't think you will need to worry about extreme heat.

If you've got any loose decal sheets, put them in sealable plastic tubs and whenever you get a package with those silica gel desiccant packs, throw them in.  That should prevent any moisture affecting them.  I've got two lots in my garage, one lot in a plastic box that have fared well, one lot in a cardboard box not so well (and they've been there less amount of time).
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

zenrat

Good point.  When you get decrepit like me you take lots of pills and every tub/bottle has one of those desiccant containers in them.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Modelling_Mushi

I'd also suggest thinking about getting the stash off the floor. If you are building this from scratch go the extra yard and put in some fixed shelving with space to (just) get between. Lift your models a few centimeters off the floor and also a centimeter or two in from the walls; this will give them some circulation, may help control damp, makes it easier to get to them (I've seen some huge sheds, horrors they were, packed to the gills and the kit that is wanted is at the back  :banghead:), and if god forbid you get moisture on the inside wall faces it wont touch the kits. Don't get the storage systems stuff that costs a ton, go down the route of some angle brackets, fasteners and maybe two or three shelves, one just off the floor and the others spaced evenly so you can get the stash close to the roof.

Oh, p.s. You're a lucky bugger and I'm jealous  :thumbsup:. Post some pics when its done, love to see it.
Going to be finished in 2021 BEFORE I start any da*!#d new ones - CF-IDS Wolverine; Douglas Mawson; Bubba Wants a Fishin' Rig; NA F-100

Against the Wall - Maton Dreadnought; Fender Telecaster; Epiphone Les Paul Studio

Gondor

May I suggest plastic feet for any legs for shelving that you use just in case your man cave gets flooded or a damp floor.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....