F-84 Problems

Started by KJ_Lesnick, May 19, 2015, 06:31:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KJ_Lesnick

I'm curious why the F-84 sucked so much: I do know the plane had the following problems

• Aerodynamic problems: It had a tendency to tip-stall; these seemed to be exacerbated at high mach and could prove dangerous
  • Structurally flimsy: It was plagued with structural problems and had to be beefed up so much that it ended up thousands of pounds heavier than intended
  • Underpowered: The weight gain
What I'm wondering is: Why was it so flimsy at first?
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

maxmwill

I think the problems it had were more in keeping with the fact that it was an early generation jet, as was with other early jets, such as the original Phantom or the Banshee.

KJ_Lesnick

maxmwill

I suppose there is truth to this, but you have to consider that the P-59, F-80, and FH-1 weren't all that heavy
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

PR19_Kit

It was built by Republic, which says it all perhaps...........
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

sandiego89

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on May 21, 2015, 09:15:26 PM
I suppose there is truth to this, but you have to consider that the P-59, F-80, and FH-1 weren't all that heavy

The F-84 was quite a bit heavier than those other three aircraft, and could carry much more.  Empty weight, loaded weight, and espacially maximum weight well above the others.  So we have a heavy jet, smallish wing, lackluster thrust (as with every early jet) and it is easy to see why it was a real groud gripper.  But it's speed and load carrying was valued. 

The whole F-84 series evolved quite a bit over time, arguably one of the most evolved fighters, with later swept wing versions being quite different than the first straight wingers ordered late in WWII.     
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

KJ_Lesnick

PR19_Kit

QuoteIt was built by Republic, which says it all perhaps...........
You might be onto things more than you think, but not in the exact way: The P-35A and P-36A weighed about the same empty, but the P-35A weighed more loaded.  The F-84E weighed around the same as the F-86A empty (F-86: 10093 vs F-86E: 10205), but much more loaded (F-86A: 13470, vs. 14724)

sandiego89

QuoteThe F-84 was quite a bit heavier than those other three aircraft
Actually the XP-84, F-84B weigh less (XP-84: 9080 / F-84B: 9583) than the XP-86 (9730) and F-86A (10093) when empty: The F-84 weighed increasingly more when loaded (XP-84: 13400 / F-84B: 16475 / F-84E: 14724) than the F-86 (XP-86: 12667.9 / F-86A: 13470.05).

The F-84's were (far as I know) all powered by J35's; though the XP-86 was powered by J35's, the F-86A,D,E,F,K were powered by the J47 which was a bit more powerful.

QuoteSo we have a heavy jet, smallish wing, lackluster thrust (as with every early jet) and it is easy to see why it was a real groud gripper.
The F-84B's wing (260) was smaller than either the XP-86 (287.6574) or F-86 (287.9)

QuoteThe whole F-84 series evolved quite a bit over time, arguably one of the most evolved fighters, with later swept wing versions being quite different than the first straight wingers ordered late in WWII.
I was just talking about the early straight wing series