Airfix Kitstarter

Started by Mossie, May 29, 2015, 06:51:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossie

This is an interesting one.  Airfix are giving us the chance to resurrect some of those old kits.  They put up the projects and you make a pre-order, if it gets past a threshold then they make a limited production run.  If it doesn't make the threshold, you don't pay.
https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/kitstarter/

There's a forum where you can make a case for a kit:
http://www.airfix.com/uk-en/forum/kitstarter/

Current projects that are up are the Blue Tits and Bullfinches at £20 each.  They don't float my boat, but some folks might go for them on a nostalgia kick and there should be more.

I thought this warranted it's own thread, rather than being stuck in with the Airfix news.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Martin H

I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Gondor

My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

The Wooksta!

I think that could be rather popular.  If it proved to be, they may just repop it proper.

The Basset and the SR.53 seem to be rather popular too, although the latter could be problematic as the mould isn't in Airfix hands...
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Knightflyer

Quote from: The Wooksta! on May 29, 2015, 02:32:10 PM
I think that could be rather popular.  If it proved to be, they may just repop it proper.

The Basset and the SR.53 seem to be rather popular too, although the latter could be problematic as the mould isn't in Airfix hands...

Hadn't seen the SR.53 when I looked earlier, but certainly could build two or three of them ....and the Bassett ...and the VC10! ;D
Oh to be whiffing again :-(

zenrat

My mother built both the Bullfinches and the Bluetits.  She also built Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn.
She didn't whiff any of them either.

There was a glaring omission from the list so I put things right by adding the Rotodyne.  Obviously it will now become No.1 most requested top of the Re-pops and will be in the shops by xmas.

Lets hope this actually comes to something rather than Revell's wish list which rapidly became unwieldy and struck me as just somewhere to one-up people with your knowledge of obscure planes/cars/armour etc.  Airfix need to keep tabs on it and remove or move any suggestions they don't retain the moulds for or which they never actually made.

If only they hadn't lost the SAM2 Guideline moulds...
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Gondor

Didn't Airfix do some Space 1999 stuff?

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

The Wooksta!

They didn't lose the SAM2 moulds.  It was damaged.  They have two of them, but the third sprue mould was knacked.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

The Wooksta!

Quote from: Gondor on May 29, 2015, 03:59:14 PM

Gondor

Reboxed MPC kits.  They did some 24th scale sports cars that were also another manufacturer's toolings, such as the Lotus Elite and Esprit Turbo, the BMW M1 and a Triumph TR7.  I'd certainly like one of the latter.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

zenrat

Quote from: The Wooksta! on May 29, 2015, 04:06:27 PM
They didn't lose the SAM2 moulds.  It was damaged.  They have two of them, but the third sprue mould was knacked.
:bang head:

I had a 1/24 Airfix Maserati Merak as a kid.  Kerbside but it had working headlights.  Never did find out who's moulds they were originally.
I also had a 1/16 Airfix 427 Shelby Cobra which was originally an MPC mould.  Only the rear wheels survive - fitted to a 1/12 Yamaha Virago trike.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Mossie

Quote from: The Wooksta! on May 29, 2015, 04:08:17 PM
Quote from: Gondor on May 29, 2015, 03:59:14 PM

Gondor

Reboxed MPC kits. 

Several of them have been re-released under the MPC label by Round2
Round2 MPC page
Space 1999 at Hannants
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Captain Canada

Neat stuff. Not really interested in the birds tho.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

martinbayer

Quote from: The Wooksta! on May 29, 2015, 02:32:10 PM

What happened to the SR.53 moulds? I got the Airfix original as well as the polish clone, and while the polish edition is definitely a close copy, the sprues are different.

Martin
Would be marching to the beat of his own drum, if he didn't detest marching to any drumbeat at all so much.

NARSES2

Quote from: Captain Canada on May 30, 2015, 06:44:13 AM

Yup but small kids do like them and they can make nice presents for the little ones. You then get to play "uncle or even great uncle" and have fun with them  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Quote from: Captain Canada on May 30, 2015, 06:44:13 AM

No, but I bet Eric would be...
Fred