Seawolf Class „Jimmy Carter SSN-23“ 1/700 Hobby Boos

Started by The Chaos, May 31, 2015, 01:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Chaos

Evening I dared even to a submarine
Am quite happy with it, were some construction mistakes and it does not matter too much.
Is my first submarine. Have something never previously built. Tips and advice are welcome.
How something as lively and interesting shapes?

The Rat

Beautiful! And I love the name, a guy who was not only a nuclear submariner, but who saved our (Canadian) bacon up here when the early Chalk River facility sprang a huge leak, he was in charge of the team that patched it up. He personally worked in very dangerous conditions, and risked his life.

SALUTE!
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

sandiego89

Looks good to me!  I do like submarines, but modern ones tend to be pretty simple/boring in 1/700 or even 1/350- not much to them and with a low parts count.  The shrouded prop and sail shape add some interest to the CARTER.  All sorts of WHIF posibilites with the special missions section of this ship.   

Not a criticism, as it seems acuarte, but I can't help wonder why the red boot line/waterline/draft line is so low on this ship and other modern US SSN's?  It seems more recent US SSN's have gone to red on just the lower 50% of the hull- not the normal surfaced draft line (no way they could float that high out of the water).  I had to google a few images to see this effect.    Perhaps less red to give better camoflage from above when operating on or near the surface?  Even the Ohios seem to be red all the way up to the normal surfaced waterline. Modern US SSN's seem to be have anti-fouling red on only the lower 50%, gray up to the surfaced waterline (or just perhaps faded/weathered upper surface color) then black on the upper surfaces.           
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Captain Canada

Nice work. Love the shape of the conning tower. Or sail or whatever they are called now.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

The Chaos

Yes Thanks guys I am glad that you like it. And because of the water line, no idea, am familiar with submarines not so.

Hobbes

Quote from: sandiego89 on June 01, 2015, 10:53:37 AM

Not a criticism, as it seems acuarte, but I can't help wonder why the red boot line/waterline/draft line is so low on this ship and other modern US SSN's?  It seems more recent US SSN's have gone to red on just the lower 50% of the hull- not the normal surfaced draft line (no way they could float that high out of the water).  I had to google a few images to see this effect.    Perhaps less red to give better camoflage from above when operating on or near the surface?  Even the Ohios seem to be red all the way up to the normal surfaced waterline. Modern US SSN's seem to be have anti-fouling red on only the lower 50%, gray up to the surfaced waterline (or just perhaps faded/weathered upper surface color) then black on the upper surfaces.           

I suspect you're right about visibility. But that raises the question: why even bother with the red at all? After all, these boats spend most of their time under water, so I expect the black paint to have decent antifouling properties. So they could go to all black.

Caveman

secretprojects forum migrant

lenny100

its not a black paint but a in simplified terms a rubberized anti sonar stealth coating that was first used by the Germans at the end of ww2 on several u-boats
Me, I'm dishonest, and you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest.
Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to watch out for!!!

The Chaos