Conair Firebird - Fairey Gannet Water Bomber

Started by Mossie, June 01, 2015, 02:25:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossie

Revell 1/72 Fairey Gannet

To be turned into something like this:

I'm using the T.5 kit as it has the blanking piece for the radome, should save me a little work.  Other mods will be to remove the rear radar operators canopy, delete the finlets on the tail, add a fairing where the tailhook should be and change the weapons bay into a retardant tank.

Premise is that Gannet was more successful in sales. The Canadians took the Gannet instead of the Tracker, so Conair had a glut of Gannets to convert rather than Trackers.  I actually believe that the Tracker probably made the better water bomber, as it was a simpler beast, but, why not eh??? ;)

I've got some Syh@art decals that cover the Conair Firecat in Canadian and French registrations.  Trouble is, Conair painted each type that they operated in quite different schemes while keeping the same basic colours of white with black and red stripes.  It's not possible to just transfer the Firecat scheme to the Gannet (wing gets in the way), so I'm going to have to invent my own scheme.

I've also got some PJ Productions Transport pilots, I'll add these in in the hope of mounting in-flight it on a special stand, if I can make it work.
Simon :party:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

rickshaw

Bulged bomb-bay doors, Mossie?   Afterall, the Gannet could lift a lot more than what the bomb-bay could contain!   :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

zenrat

My first thought is that it'd be over-engined (not necessarily a bad thing).
I know they could shut down half of the Double Mamba but maybe the fire bomber version would have only a single Mamba (i.e. blank off an exhaust).
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Mossie

Quote from: rickshaw on June 01, 2015, 02:47:51 AM
Bulged bomb-bay doors, Mossie?   Afterall, the Gannet could lift a lot more than what the bomb-bay could contain!   :thumbsup:

It's got quite a capacious weapons bay, so I'm just planning to modify the doors.  On the Tracker, the weapons bay is much smaller (on the starboard side only) and Conair ripped everything out and put a full width tank in there within the existing airframe.  Conair have a reputation for going farther with their conversions than most contractors, if it can be rerouted or moved, it is.

I'm assuming the same with the Gannet.  The front portion of the weapons bay is lower than the rest, but from cutaways it doesn't seem to be due to anything major so you could probably rip out and re-arrange stuff to get a pretty large tank in there.

Quote from: zenrat on June 01, 2015, 03:12:51 AM
I know they could shut down half of the Double Mamba but maybe the fire bomber version would have only a single Mamba (i.e. blank off an exhaust).

Twin engine designs tend to be favoured, especially in the period I'm looking at (Single Engined Air Tankers (SEAT) I believe are designated as such to underline the differentiation) and from what I've read, an excess of power is very handy thing for a water bomber.  Many conversions actually look to increase the engine power.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on June 01, 2015, 03:12:51 AM

Nah, there's no substitute for cubic inches, or whatever the turboprop equivalent is.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kerick

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Hobbes

Are you going to modify it so it can fill its tank by skimming the surface of a lake?

Dizzyfugu

THAT sounds like a great idea. I also played with a fire bomber idea, glad I did not settle on that.  ;)

jcf

Cool.

Do agree though that a 'bulged belly' ala the TBF firebombers would look cool.

Maybe in Hemet orange?  ;D

Draw Decal offer a nice selection of firebomber decals:
http://www.shopdrawdecal.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1931

The Rat

I am loving this! And yeah, unless the wings are peeling off in level flight, you haven't got too much power, in any aircraft. Especially when operating down low with potential obstacles, as firefighting aircraft often are.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Mossie

Quote from: Hobbes on June 01, 2015, 09:33:18 AM
Are you going to modify it so it can fill its tank by skimming the surface of a lake?

Giant floats?  Those from a DC-3 might work.  Not planned it, but interesting...

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 01, 2015, 05:07:48 AM
Nah, there's no substitute for cubic inches, or whatever the turboprop equivalent is.  ;D
Quote from: The Rat on June 01, 2015, 10:10:46 AM
I am loving this! And yeah, unless the wings are peeling off in level flight, you haven't got too much power, in any aircraft. Especially when operating down low with potential obstacles, as firefighting aircraft often are.

No such thing as too much horsepower.... ;D

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on June 01, 2015, 09:57:33 AM
Cool.

Do agree though that a 'bulged belly' ala the TBF firebombers would look cool.

Maybe in Hemet orange?  ;D

Draw Decal offer a nice selection of firebomber decals:
http://www.shopdrawdecal.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1931

The idea of a simpler scheme than the Conair one certainly appeals....  I've got a couple of WWII aircraft that might look in that scheme, if I get this finished I might get onto them.

Quote from: Captain Canada on June 01, 2015, 03:45:13 AM
Great idea. I'm gonna love this one !

:cheers:
Quote from: kerick on June 01, 2015, 05:23:35 AM
This one will be fun to watch! Carry on!
Quote from: The Rat on June 01, 2015, 10:10:46 AM

Cheers guys! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on June 01, 2015, 09:55:33 AM
THAT sounds like a great idea. I also played with a fire bomber idea, glad I did not settle on that.  ;)

Dizzy, don't let me stop you.  Librarian has a water bomber planned too, there's room for several more. :thumbsup:

Hobbes

Quote from: Mossie on June 01, 2015, 01:32:00 PM
Quote from: Hobbes on June 01, 2015, 09:33:18 AM

Giant floats?  Those from a DC-3 might work.  Not planned it, but interesting...

No floats, I was just thinking of a big trough or pipe being winched down from the bomb bay. Stick the end of the trough in the water to load up. Makes for very precarious flying without floats though.  ;D

Mossie

I see what you mean now. :thumbsup:  I've got a vague memory (maybe a false one) of something like that being trailed somewhere, I'll see if I can find anything.

philp

I think something you lowered into the water would cause too many issues with flying.  More like the pole of a pole vaulter.  pretty sure other than helicopters the only planes that scoop are seaplanes as they actually are taxing on the water as they scoop.

Just do it like the Avengers were done.  Load up at the field and off you go.

Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies