B-36 Crop duster- Finished *image reload last page*

Started by sandiego89, June 01, 2015, 03:44:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandiego89

Quote from: zenrat on June 16, 2015, 03:06:46 AM
So are you using the kit undercarriage?
Having finally picked up one of these last week i've just ordered an SAC white metal set.  Just to be on the safe side...

Will use the supplied kit gear- they do look robust.  Fingers crossed.
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

sandiego89

Whew, back to the bench.

Time for the bomb bay doors.  Need to make a set of the snap action doors.  Will cast 2 in resin.

High tech mold box.  Kit bomb bay door pressed into the clay.  Making a 2 part mold.

As hinted before I have some other plans for future build and want to experiment with the early sliding bomb bay doors.  They slid up the side of the fuselage.  Kit styrene is too thick, so what has a similar diameter?  

Whats better than real aluminum?  Rough dry fit.  Will have to refine my cutting and bending skills, but wanted to check it out for fun.  

Fuselage joined- putty over the top fuselage seam and a bit of sanding.  Fuselage went together very well.

Popped 2 doors out of my mold.  Original on right.  Discoloration is due to a bit of primer, white putty and tan 2 part resin.  Need to smooth a few holes.  

Dave "Sandiego89"

Gondor

If those doors work out do you intend to do a production run?

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

sandiego89

Quote from: Gondor on June 27, 2015, 03:25:18 PM

Gondor

Was not planning on it, but would be happy to cast a set for anyone if they turn out decent. 
Dave "Sandiego89"

Gondor

Quote from: sandiego89 on June 28, 2015, 05:24:35 AM
Quote from: Gondor on June 27, 2015, 03:25:18 PM

Gondor

Was not planning on it, but would be happy to cast a set for anyone if they turn out decent. 

Put me down for a set if they do please  ;D

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

Captain Canada

Excellent work. I love watching this kind of stuff !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

sandiego89

Thank you.

For the much dreaded natural metal finish I tried Humbrol aluminium but got lots of runs.  I have a tough time airbrushing thin metals.  Need much more practice and patience.  Rattle can aluminum (spelled the correct way  ;)) to the rescue.  Magnesium sprayed on as well. Magnesium is the duller color around the bomb bay.  Wings get the two metals as well- lots of masking.

The detail and scale book has a great tip to cut off parts of the engine mounts so you can slide the whole prop assembly and prop into the wing after glueing the wing top at bottom wing surfaces together.  Much easier to paint and handle as you can slide the props in very last.  On the left side is a cut down mount, next to picture showing which shaded sides to shave down, with the other 5 mounts still on the sprue in the center of the picture.  Hope it works!

Main landing gear, with only three outer halves of the tires (spelled correctly  ;)) mounted.  It's big....

Dave "Sandiego89"

Weaver

Awesome project - I wouldn't even attempt one of these. :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

kerick

I have a B-17 and B-25 in 1/48th that I haven't built because I don't know where to put them. I'd have to build on a room for a B-36!
Awesome work! Still think it will need a couple of yellow ID panels.  ;)
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Old Wombat

Aluminum tires? :blink:

Aluminium doesn't! ;D
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Spelling is just a matter of geography Dave...

I must remember the engine mounting trick.  At least you don't have to do any mods to inside the wings.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on July 02, 2015, 10:19:17 PM

If aluminium is spelt aluminum in the US, how come magnesium isn't spelt magnesum?

[I might had I had to correct the spell checker after I'd written the above as it kept on adding the 'i'...,,  ;)]
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 03, 2015, 03:51:19 AM

If aluminium is spelt aluminum in the US, how come magnesium isn't spelt magnesum?

[I might had I had to correct the spell checker after I'd written the above as it kept on adding the 'i'...,,  ;)]

That's just you showing of your bilingual skills Kit, English and American  :bow:

Gondor

kitnut617

Quote from: Gondor on July 03, 2015, 04:11:43 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 03, 2015, 03:51:19 AM

That's just you showing of your bilingual skills Kit, English and American  :bow:

Gondor

Oddly Alu-min-um is how it's spelt and pronounced here in Canada too
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

zenrat

There's a lot of other metals we could leave the final i out of.  Of them all I favour (spelt correctly  ;D) Sodum...
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..