Hunting Percival P.26 Commuter (Martin B-26B Marauder) Aer Lingus, 1956 at p.8

Started by Dizzyfugu, June 02, 2015, 02:57:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Go4fun

Glass nose area converted to Club Seating area? An upgrade worth thinking about.
"Just which planet are you from again"?

Dizzyfugu

Not here. It's a public transport, clear internal separation between crew and passengers. It's not the next Bunny Hopper. ;)

Ed S

Want to see how this turns out. A airliner version of the B-26 was one of the ideas I considered before I went with the H-21. So I want to she how you do it.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

zenrat

I love the look of the Marauder and so i'm keen to see how the Matchbox version builds up.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Mossie

That pic of the real CB-26 does look surprisingly smart. :wub:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

major

Reckon it'll look cracking in the green scheme. Can hardly wait till monday to see the finished article! ;) ;D

Dizzyfugu

Well, this will take some more time.  ;) Neither kit nor decal set have arrived yet, but I am currently fighting with the Stalwart (or better: trying to take pics from the huge beast), and there's been a quickie-in-less-than-a-week build in the meantime, too.

Dizzyfugu

Good news: the Marauder is in the house!  :lol:

Dizzyfugu

We're off. Did first cuts yesterday; mods so far include the cover of the machine gun pod "holes" under the cockpit with filler, and I'll close some of the rear windows. Not certain yet if I drill new ones up (esp. for the passenger cabin) or just simulate them through round, black decals - wait for the decals for a final decision.
I'll also fit other wing tips - for a slightly extended wing span and more pointed tips.

Dizzyfugu

...but the first drawback does not wait long: despite being called "new" upon purchase, the Marauder kit misses most of the cockpit parts, as well as a clear part from the rear gunner stand.  :angry:

The latter is not so dramatic, since it will be faired over, but the cockpit is more severe, because it also fills the front wheel well and holds the front wheel.  :-\

Well, another improvisation challenge...  :rolleyes:

Dizzyfugu

WiP pics soon to come. So far, progress is good. Scratched a cockpit from vintage Airfix B-17 parts and a modern dashboard. New front wheel well ceiling has also been added - looks more bleak than OOB, but noone will probably ever see it... Also found a nice new tail cone: the nose of a Frog Supermarine Attacker!

Dorsal turret opening has been plugged, and the new wing tips look neat. I also decided to replace the OOB R-2800 radials with Contrails resin R-3350 turbo compound engines (left over from the quadruple set that was partly intergrated into the Stalwart flying boat) - the diameter fits almost perfectly, and currently filler body work is on the way to integrate them. Nacelles had to be shortened, but in the end I think they will suit the CB-26 well. I guess the thing will look VERY fast!

Dizzyfugu

As announced, first impressions from the build.

Side machine guns - gone!

"De/Militarize It" Group Build at whatifmodelers.com: a Martin Marauder Commuter (WiP) by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

The scratched cockpit (WiP):

"De/Militarize It" Group Build at whatifmodelers.com: a Martin Marauder Commuter (WiP) by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

And, Kit will certainly like it, the slightly extended wing tips, taken from a La-7. Not much, but I hope this will change the look a little.  ;)

Concerning the windows: I will probably drill them up. The decals are designed as white, opaque bands, and there's the option to add oval Fokker 27 windows as decals on top of that.
I will attempt to place the decals over the still open holes, open them manually (mini drill, perhaps?) and then fill them finally with Clearfix. Not certain if this is a smart idea? I have doubts, but since I want to add more individual windows (cockpit, rear end), I guess it's the best strategy, painting/decaling-wise?   :rolleyes:

Still time to think that over, though, but I do not like the concept of fake, black roundels... even if it is the less painfull option.

Captain Canada

Some good ideas there. Drilling them always looks better to me. The wingtips look great too
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on June 08, 2015, 09:50:57 AM

And, Kit will certainly like it, the slightly extended wing tips, taken from a La-7. Not much, but I hope this will change the look a little.  ;)

Yeah!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Green Dragon

Hey Dizzy, nice idea! Built one a LOOONG time ago and seem to remember the landing gear was very weak, went together really easily though.

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.
1/72 Space 1999 Eagle, Comet Miniatures Martian War Machine
1/72nd Quad Tilt Rotor, 1/144th V/STOL E2 Hawkeye (stalled)