We're watching you... Zi 189 Frogmouth Tilt Fan - Finished pics page 6

Started by zenrat, June 02, 2015, 02:59:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

The People's Democratic Republic of Victoria Republican Police are to the regular police as the Republican Guard are to the regular armed forces - namely an elite force with their own resources, command structure and responsibilities answerable only to the President
The Republican Police are an overt civilian force who should not be compared to the covert Secret State Police.

For this GB I shall be building a surveillance plane based around an FW 189.

I ahall be using a Condor (MPMspawn) 1/72 FW 189 A1, parts of an Airfix Ford Trimotor and some wastewater fittings.

The plumbing parts are to make the fan ducts - I haven't yet decided which size to use.

So far I have glued together both booms and some interior parts.  Its a nice looking kit with fine engraved detail but no locating pins.  There are a few raised ejector pin marks in mostly hidden places but quite a few of the small parts have sink marks in.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Captain Canada

I can just hear the Hellion playing in the background as I open this thread....gonna look pretty wild like that !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Mossie

Comrade, a useful tool for enforcing rule CENSORED.  Please accept an extra half spoonful of porridge on behalf of the glorious Republic.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

PR19_Kit

Kurt Tank meets the Edgely Optica.  ;D :lol:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Thank you Comrade Mossie.  I would accept your offer but my contacts on the peoples porridge allocation committee tell me you are not authorised to make it.
I may get in trouble for telling you this but you should expect a visit from your the oatmeal re-eduction inquisition.

I sanded the booms today and attached the cowling fronts after first copying Dizzy's trick of stuffing sponge inside.
This is going to need a couple of camera pods knocked up as well as some strictly non-lethal tear gas canister launchers and a couple of tripod mounted SLR cameras or binoculars for the  observer and former rear gunners positions.

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

The Chaos

zenrat

I started scratching up the fan ducts today.
I decided to use the 40mm wastewater connectors which I cut down so the internal lip was 1mm below the end. This gives me a lip onto which I can attach the engine support plates which I cut from 1mm styrene sheet.
The engines will mount on top of the support plates with the driveshafts exiting through the back of the crankcases where they will attach to the fans I have yet to build.

The clear tube thing on the tail will become the housing for the tail fan.
Fred

PR19_Kit

Strewth, that looks clever!  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Sticky Fingers

Cool! Love the use of non-modelling bits and pieces  :thumbsup:
Got a question though: would it need the forwards facing props if the main rotors can tilt?

zenrat

Quote from: Sticky Fingers on June 07, 2015, 02:54:12 AM
Got a question though: would it need the forwards facing props if the main rotors can tilt?

Yes.  Given the fans replace the wings outboard of the booms they will be mostly providing lift rather than thrust.
Fred

ericr

Quote from: Sticky Fingers on June 07, 2015, 02:54:12 AM

yes indeed! they are a wide open space for creativity  ;D (think about taps for example ... :wacko:)

Sticky Fingers

Quote from: zenrat on June 07, 2015, 03:27:44 AMYes.  Given the fans replace the wings outboard of the booms they will be mostly providing lift rather than thrust.
Gotcha  <_<

zenrat

There might be an issue with gluing styrene to the plumbing fittings but so far Tamiya thin glue seems to be holding.
If that fails I will be picking up some MEK tomorrow which should do the trick.
Fred

zenrat

The glue didn't hold.  But never fear, I have Tetrahydrofuran!

Re-glued the duct parts and then did a bit on the cockpit.
I added a pilot from a Hasegawa US Pilot/Ground Crew set I got on Monday for $5.  It has great pilots with different poses and adjustable arms.  He had 2 sets, I wish i'd got both of them.

I also started building a fan.  One blade at a time.  I've done 1 so far...

Fred

Captain Canada

Lots of bits coming together now eh ? Going to be one neat looking bird !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?