We're watching you... Zi 189 Frogmouth Tilt Fan - Finished pics page 6

Started by zenrat, June 02, 2015, 02:59:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Lots still to do.
And i'm fighting an urge to start a militarised civilian vehicle.  That's your fault.
;D
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Weaver

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

KiwiZac

Hoo, this is a spectacular idea, I love it!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

zenrat

Quote from: KiwiZac on June 10, 2015, 07:56:43 PM
Hoo, this is a spectacular idea, I love it!

Thanks H, but i'm not sure how a ruined Hamlet will help me... ;D

Nice fans.  Would save me a lot of time but they are possibly a bit modern looking for what I have in mind.
I've built one so far.  8 fat blades which would move a lot of air at the (relatively) slow speeds you'd get from a Wright Whirlwind.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Captain Canada

Quote from: zenrat on June 10, 2015, 04:44:56 AM
And i'm fighting an urge to start a militarised civilian vehicle.  That's your fault.
;D

:wacko:

lol. The fan is looking sweet !

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

TallEng

Thanks H, but i'm not sure how a ruined Hamlet will help me... ;D
[/quote]

For use in a Diorama? Presumably to illustrate
what happens to any buildings when you "take off"  :o

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

zenrat

Here's today's instalment.
I made a complete fan and figured out how to mount them inside the ducts.  I also bit the bullet and cut the ends of the wings off.

The peeling area of mat at the bottom of the pic is what happens if you spill tetrahydrofuran.  It also stings like buggery if you get it in the cut you sliced into your thumb when carving the fan blade template.  :o
Fred

Sticky Fingers

QuoteThe peeling area of mat at the bottom of the pic is what happens if you spill tetrahydrofuran
You sure? Isn't there a xenomorph, dripping acid blood, hanging from your ceiling? Did you check?

The finished fan looks 7 shades of cool  :thumbsup:

Mossie

Quote from: zenrat on June 12, 2015, 01:48:24 AM
The peeling area of mat at the bottom of the pic is what happens if you spill tetrahydrofuran.  It also stings like buggery if you get it in the cut you sliced into your thumb when carving the fan blade template.  :o

THF is pretty strong stuff, try not to breathe it in either as a good whiff can knock you off you feet and you'll be seeing pink elephants.  I guess your using it to weld the plastic?

I used to use the stuff in a previous job, I was introduced to it by a couple of guys from the factory opening a 45 gallon of it while I was checking it over.  I very nearly hit the deck, one guy said "what's wrong with you?" in a pretty disdaining manner!  They'd been breathing the stuff for years and it hardly bothered them. :drink:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

zenrat

Thanks Sticky, but it's a while away from finished.  I need to add some strips of styrene to the fan hubs to give them a bit of visual interest, find a couple of end caps to go underneath (i'm thinking 1/24 hot rod headlights), find something to cover the holes on the top of the engines and scribe some panel lines on the ducts.
And most importantly I need to figure out a mount that will fix them securely to the booms but still allow tilting.
Fred

Captain Canada

Very nice, She's really coming together now...I love the way those fans look.

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

loupgarou

That's really impressive. And you have a pretty engineering problem in front of you, linking the fans to the structure. very interested in seeing the developments.  :thumbsup:
BTW, I could never have managed to build those fans, I'd have gone crazy before.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

zenrat

Just a bit of painting today.  Interior in an RLM grey and some primer on the fans.
Fred

dumaniac

zenrat

More painting & started scratching a camera for the rear gun mount.
I'm having issues with the red texter I used to mark the fan blades coming through the paint.  Hopefully a coat of Future will block it.
Failing that red blades wouldn't look that bad...
Fred