We're watching you... Zi 189 Frogmouth Tilt Fan - Finished pics page 6

Started by zenrat, June 02, 2015, 02:59:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Well I am going to paint it blue and if you pop down to see me i'll thrust it repeatedly and unnecessarily at your face in true 3D movie style. ;D

Started on the tail fan today.

The L shaped things are the beginning of 90 degree gearboxes to get drive from the port engine to the fan.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

zenrat

Hmmmmmmmmm.

I do have a plan ready for the day I come across that so cheap I can't say no Zeppelin kit.  It involves a galleon hull and a multi engined bomber.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Captain Canada

Lots of bits and scratchbuilding going into this one eh ?

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

zenrat

Yes Cap'n.  I could probably have used chopper parts to build the tail fan but I don't have any to spare.
The horizontal tail is now firmly glued between the booms and i've started building the structure that will support the fan within the annulus.
Fred

zenrat

More done today.  Nearly finished in fact.  Just some trimming & fettling when glue has dried.

Hmmmm, it appears I got slightly confused what with working on it upside down and appear to have built it with the tail-fan drive coming down the RH boom instead of the LH one I intended to use.
Oh well, never mind.
Fred

Old Wombat

Doesn't look like a problem ... Looks bloody good, actually. :thumbsup:

I wonder if that's also a sign of "You know you're old when ..." ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

kerick

Quote from: zenrat on July 02, 2015, 02:13:21 AM
More done today.  Nearly finished in fact.  Just some trimming & fettling when glue has dried.

Hmmmm, it appears I got slightly confused what with working on it upside down and appear to have built it with the tail-fan drive coming down the RH boom instead of the LH one I intended to use.
Oh well, never mind.

Ssshhh, the audience doesn't know which note you were about to play!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

zenrat

Not sure why I decided on LH drive anyway.  I convert most of my model cars to RHD so why should this be any different?
Fred

Captain Canada

Great work in the details ! She'll be in the hover in no time !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

zenrat

I've sorted out a 4 wheeled undercarriage (non-retracting castors at the ends of the booms made from Hotspur bits plus standard main) and today after wedging chunks of sponge into the cockpit I primed her.
During the sponge fitting I managed to drop the rear half of the rather fragile canopy onto the concrete floor.  It didn't break but I was petrified at the thought of treading on it and so didn't move my feet until I had spotted it.
Fred

zenrat

Printed the decals today.
Filling looks OK so I undercoated the thing today.
I used my favourite white undercoat.
Well, it used to be my favourite.  But they've changed the formula and it doesn't go on so well.  They've also changed the nozzle and if you're not very carefull it sprays out a bit too much for a 1/72 model with fine surface detail.  I got away with it but for a run on one wing root which will need sanding tomorrow.
I really hate it (and yes, hate is the right word in they case) when they f**k with something that is perfect.
As soon as I pushed the nozzle I knew it wasn't going to be good because it smelt wrong - it smelt just like one of the cheap primers I had tried and rejected a few years ago.
Now i'm going to have to try and find an alternative that works as good as this used to and comes in a big can (I use a lot of white undercoat as a final proof coat when painting 1/25 car bodies - most of it gets sanded off again).  Bastards.  This happened with my grey primer a few years ago and it was a real PitA to find a new one I liked.

I also spent time perusing my paints to try & decide on a colour scheme.  I pondered all over sky for a while but as it's a police aircraft I thought that was a bit too military PR like.
I think i've decided on a mid grey underside with light grey & blue topsides with maybe some red stripes.

Fred

Captain Canada

That sucks about the paint. Either they changed the formula or farmed it out to China like everything else !

:banghead:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

zenrat

What sucks is the printing on the cans is identical.  Not even a "new formula" to warn me.

I got some grey (light gull) on it today...

...and then ran out of paint before achieving full coverage.

Am I being told something?

More paint has been ordered.
Fred

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

zenrat

Airbrush.
Even the best areas are patchy so i've put it back into its box until the paint arrives so as to avoid the temptation to second guess my colour plan and paint over the grey with a colour I do have enough of.

Fred