Vickers Armstrong/Supermarine Type 559`s Older Brother

Started by tc2324, June 04, 2015, 05:07:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

tc2324

Finally got round to completing the dio base so that makes two out of three finished.

Now I can concentrate on the TSR2 project but before then may I present......,

Vickers Supermarine Sceptre F.1
74 (Tiger) Squadron
RAF Coltishall

Developed from the much larger Vickers Supermarine 559 proposal from 1955, the Vickers Supermarine Sceptre F.1 was born from the 1957 Defence White Paper and entered service in 1959 as a point defence fighter.

It`s role was very much influenced from the theories and thinking of the day in that nuclear missile technology was expected deliver a knock out blow to the infrastructure of NATO and it`s airfields.

The design team at Vickers Supermarine looked at way`s in which the RAF could launch a defensive response without the need for a long runway to launch and recover. Finally, very much like the Luftwaffe had adopted at the end of the Second World War, a ZELL, (Zero Launch Length), system was incorporated into the design with a cockpit capsule `ejecting` the pilot from the rest of the aircraft once the mission was completed and it had returned to friendly airspace. (Again, the thinking was that no airfields would be available upon return).

The launching system and cradle were set upon an upgraded and modified Churchill tank chassis and during times of tension the aircraft would be deployed into the field's  and wooded areas of Western Germany and the United Kingdom.

The system was operational for a short period and was withdrawn from use in 1963 when the English Electric Lightning was available in larger numbers to replace it.

While the Sceptre was just a minor foot note in British Aviation history, it is believed to be responsible and strongly influenced the creative thinking behind Sci Fi shows like Fireball XL 5 and Thunderbirds.

Only one example survives and is being restored behind closed doors at the RAF museum at Cosford.

Crew - One
Length - 58 ft 3 in
Wingspan - 39 ft
Powerplants - Two Reheated De Havilland Gyron Engines each with 20,000 pounds of thrust
Max Speed -  2.5 Mach
Service Ceiling - 61,000 ft
Endurance - 45 minutes
Armament - 4 Air to Air Missiles

74 `Tiger` Sqn Association Webmaster

Tiger, Tiger!

Cobra

Very Cool & Well Done :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: has a Bit of Gerry Anderson Flavor to it! Hope to see More Great works from You  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:  Dan

PR19_Kit

Utterly brilliant tc2324!  :thumbsup: :bow:

I'm impressed the way the launch ramp elevates, as well as the whole concept and the build itself.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

Perfect. Turned out way better than I could have imagined....really like this one ! The perfect whiff in my eyes. Love the photo selection as well, looks so good on that dio base.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Tophe

Congratulations for this impressive model!
while... such airplane on a tank seems over-military for me, no more an innocent bird of my dreams :-\
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Rick Lowe

Very cool!

Great work on the bird, the launcher and the base.
I like the touch of the grimy tread marks on the concrete road - and the planted fields; makes things a bit more realistic.

Cheers

tc2324

Thanks Chaps.   :cheers:

Finally got round to listing it`s kitbash credentials which are as follows,

1/48 EE Lightning
1/48 F-4 Phantom
1/48 Mirage
1/48 Gloster Meteor
1/35 SA-2 AAM
1/35 Churchill Tank
1/72 B-29 Superfortress
1/72 Hawker Hunter T.7
Sprue

So was it worth it...??

My wallet may not agree....  ;D

Tiger, Tiger!

The Chaos

Captain Canada

Quote from: tc2324 on September 29, 2015, 01:36:42 AM
Thanks Chaps.   :cheers:
Finally got round to listing it`s kitbash credentials which are as follows,
1/48 EE Lightning
1/48 F-4 Phantom
1/48 Mirage
1/48 Gloster Meteor
1/35 SA-2 AAM
1/35 Churchill Tank
1/72 B-29 Superfortress
1/72 Hawker Hunter T.7
Sprue
So was it worth it...??
My wallet may not agree....  ;D

We appreciate it ! What's the breakdown of the basic components ? I might just steal this one I like it that much. Might also attempt it in 144th scale, as it would be more fun to launch and play with then  :thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 28, 2015, 02:57:29 PM

I'm impressed the way the launch ramp elevates, as well as the whole concept and the build itself.

Very much so  :bow:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

tc2324

Quote from: Captain Canada on September 29, 2015, 06:20:41 AM

What's the breakdown of the basic components ?

From what I can remember Captain....,

1/48 EE Lightning = main fuselage, nose cone, afterburner cans, missiles
1/48 F-4 Phantom = intakes, wings
1/48 Mirage = cockpit
1/48 Gloster Meteor = booster frame, pitot tube
1/35 SA-2 AAM = launch turret, ramp, booster rocket
1/35 Churchill Tank = chassis
1/72 B-29 Superfortress = cradle frame
1/72 Hawker Hunter T.7 = canards
Sprue = hydraulic jack, cradle frame

Tiger, Tiger!

Captain Canada

Cool. Thanks for that, exactly what I was after and duly noted.

:cheers: :wub: :tornado:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Nick

chrisonord

Only just seen this and I really really like it. You have done a cracking job of it and it does have a lot of Sci-Fi goodness in it. I think the procurement division of S.H.A.D.O could well be sending you a P.M soon.  ;)
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!