PzKpfw I Ausf. A: die Klapperkiste

Started by Sticky Fingers, June 04, 2015, 09:37:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sticky Fingers

When this kit came out back in 2006 I directly knew what I wanted to do with it.
It's Tristar's 1/35 "Panzerkampfwagen 1 ausf. A ohne Aufbau". Good thing I had so many other things to do, it was still waiting to be pulled from the stash so this groupbuild is as good a reason as any.

The box:

Sprues, for your pleasure:

And today's progress:

Nothing added, swopped, twisted or snapped off, yet...

Mossie

I'm thinking beach buggy...  :unsure: Come on, spill the beans! ;)
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Sticky Fingers

Captain Canada

Interesting subject ! But wait a minute, isn't A for apple and J for jacks ? Cinnamon toasty that's a fact !

:bow:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Sticky Fingers

No beachbuggy, but close: I'm planning to turn this into a hot rod.
I was thinking of calling it "die Klapperkiste", German for jalopy  ;D

Plans include lowering the ride hight, wider tracks (not sure how I'm going to handle that one), different exhaust set-up (loud pipes save lives etc.) modifying the engine deck and most importantly just having fun.
I'm using a Kübelwagen as a donor, keeping things nice and nationalistic, maybe the parts left from that will also get "the treatment", but that is not in the planning at the moment.

Hm, it is now.  :rolleyes:

zenrat

Mmmmmmm, i'm in love.
Flames and chrome?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Dizzyfugu

After WWII the Kettenkräder (frequently seen as aircraft tugs) saw a second career as agricultural vehicles in Germany, also as conversion.

Sticky Fingers

Right-o. Butchery commences  ;D
Original wheel placement:

And lowered version:

It's not the best kit I've ever build. Details are nice, but there's flash in odd places, snapped parts here and there, and the guide misnames partnumbers every once in a while, just to see if you're still paying attention  :rolleyes:

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on June 05, 2015, 05:48:46 AMAfter WWII the Kettenkräder (frequently seen as aircraft tugs) saw a second career as agricultural vehicles in Germany, also as conversion.
I've got a picture of one somewhere, I took it in '88 while on holiday somewhere near Bamberg. Painted primer-red! :lol:

Quote from: zenrat on June 05, 2015, 04:17:42 AMMmmmmmm, i'm in love.
Flames and chrome?

Maybe I'll try some pinstriping...  :lol:

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

PR19_Kit

A GMC 6-71 sticking out of the hood would work well..........  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

VickersVandal

Quote from: Sticky Fingers on June 05, 2015, 03:04:22 AM
No beachbuggy, but close: I'm planning to turn this into a hot rod.
I was thinking of calling it "die Klapperkiste", German for jalopy  ;D

This is genius! Insane genius.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Biggles modelling loony.

My Biggles Model display website: https://tinyurl.com/y74ydzae

zenrat

I have a long term plan to knock up a 1/25 Kettenkraftrad with long chopper style forks and a Stovebolt engine - A Chevenkrad.

This kit looks to be exactly what I need to donate the tracks & transmission.
How long is it please?

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on June 05, 2015, 05:36:00 PM
I have a long term plan to knock up a 1/25 Kettenkraftrad with long chopper style forks and a Stovebolt engine - A Chevenkrad.

Now that HAS to be a winner at any show!  :wub: :thumbsup: :bow:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Sticky Fingers

Quote from: zenrat on June 05, 2015, 05:36:00 PMHow long is it please?
It's about 10 cm long and with tracks I'd say about 5 cm wide.
Do your maths if you use inchemes and foots... ;D

Or this might help, too:

A souped up Kettenkräd in that scale will be a showstopper, hope your plans become reality  :thumbsup:

zenrat

Thanks Sticky.  That looks to be just about the right size.
I shall look out for one - the fact it has the gearbox is a definite plus.
Now, sorry for the interruption, lets get back to this most excellent jalopy.
Fred